U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which would be better to live in, Phoenix or Dallas?
Phoenix 3 13.64%
Dallas 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2007, 08:25 PM
 
458 posts, read 2,512,007 times
Reputation: 183

Advertisements

I've also posted something similar in the Phoenix forum but I just wanted to see what kind of opinions I can get here as well.

I'm 19 and from Southern Indiana near Louisville, KY and I have been to both areas. I loved them both. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do career wise but part of my plan is to decide where I would like to spend the upcoming years of my life at.

I am looking to move to the west (I consider Dallas to be more western but thats another debate) and get away from the cold winters that bring ice and snow. It just seems depressing to me. Some people like it but I prefer it to be hot. I also am looking for a culture change. I'm tired of all of the boring areas and am looking to move on to a bigger and better place.

Some of the things that are factors for my case:

-Pro sports teams. (I'm a huge sports fan and have always wanted to live in a city with the big 3. I'm not too crazy about hockey but I don't really mind it.) Both places have MLB, NFL, and NBA so I can't really go wrong there. I feel like Dallas is probably a better sports town but I mainly just want teams so I can go to games in my free time. Dallas also probably has better stadiums/arenas. The Rangers stadium was amazing. The Diamondbacks was so-so, although it's not bad. American Airlines Center in Dallas is probably one of the better NBA arenas while US Airways Center in Phoenix is probably one of the worst. The new Cowboys stadium seems like it's going to be off the charts but the Cardinals new one looks very nice. Overall, this is a bigger factor for me than most would think. It's important to me and sports is a big part of my life. I really don't have any real favorite teams so converting to a Dallas or Phoenix sports fan will not be difficult.

-Weather. As I mentioned, I'm tired of the cold. I know both places get very hot in the summer time, and I am prepared for the heat. I have experienced Phoenix in July and it is not really any concern to me. Tornadoes and severe thunderstorms are a factor but we get tornado warnings and sometimes bad storms here already so I'm pretty much used to it. I could definitly get used to Phoenix type winters though. Compared to here, Dallas winters are probably nothing though. I'd say Phoenix winters are better but I'm sorta wondering how big of a difference are Phoenix winters to Dallas winters. Both are probably pretty much pleasant in the spring/fall although Dallas experiences a lot of storms. They don't bother me really, but I wouldn't mind getting away from them either.

-Scenery/culture. I loved the mountains in Phoenix and I definitly liked the desert scenery. I love palm trees. Phoenix has tons while Dallas has very few. I thought Dallas looked really nice though despite having no mountains. As far as the nice and green vs. brown and dusty thing, I'm either way. I like both. Dallas seemed like a really really nice version of here without the hills while Phoenix has the mountains and desert setting. I like both. I loved the Texas culture with the lone star concept being everywhere and longhorns and such. It just has some kind of neat charm to it that just makes it feel really nice and makes you feel at home. Phoenix has a lot of neat things about it too.

-Cost of living. This is one of the biggest factors I guess. I've heard a lot of things about both areas. I've heard Phoenix is extremely expensive and I've also heard that all in all it really isn't much if anymore expensive than Dallas. I know there is no state income taxes in Texas which is a plus, but I have also heard that insurance, property tax rates, and utilities cost more than most places. I am almost certain I will be renting for awhile and according to city-data's stats, the average rent cost is actually a little cheaper than in the Dallas area. Both are in the low $700's which I think is do-able. Not too much difference from here.

As I've said I'm not really sure what I would like to do as far as work goes. I'm certain that I will be able to find a job in either place in whatever it may be that I decide on. It's not really a factor for me. The only thing it may influence is where in the city I would live.

I am more of a suburb type person and will probably live in a suburb of whichever city I decide on. I know a lot of people knock on Phoenix for seeming like one big suburb but I don't have a lot of problem with it. Dallas had nice suburbs too and I don't have a problem with it either.


Overall, it just seems like I just can't decide. I've spent time in both and love both. They are my 2 favorite cities and I would love to live in either one. Both have their positives and negatives, but nothing really sticks out that pushes me to one side or the other. I'm looking for opinions that you may have and feel free to make any suggestions. I'm not asking for other people to make the decision for me as I know it comes from within on which is the best place for me, but I'm just looking for other points of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
940
 
13,789 posts, read 7,184,198 times
Reputation: 6855
I've stated my opinion in the other thread, but you seem like you have put some thought into this and you know what you want..which is more than I could say for myself at 19!! Best of luck to you, whichever you choose...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 09:03 PM
 
458 posts, read 2,512,007 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I've stated my opinion in the other thread, but you seem like you have put some thought into this and you know what you want..which is more than I could say for myself at 19!! Best of luck to you, whichever you choose...
Thanks. I've honestly hated it here all my life and have been talking about moving away literally since I was like 10 years old. I feel out of place and like I belong somewhere else. My family and a few friends is honestly pretty much all I'll miss about living here.

I've been to quite a few places and know about what I want and I've got it narrowed down to these 2. I'd love to live in California too but the cost of living is just so crazy that I couldn't allow myself to even attempt trying to move there. For what I'm looking for, I could live in Dallas or Phoenix for probably half of what it would cost to live somewhere in SoCal. Not to mention that it has its share of problems too.

I think I like Dallas more, but Phoenix brings better weather particularly in the winter and the mountains. I kindof fell in love with the Rangers after seeing them play 3 games back in April eventhough they are really stinking it up lately. The Cardinals are pretty much a joke while the Cowboys are a great NFL franchise. Suns and Mavs are a tossup. Sports goes to Dallas, and it felt a little more like home, but then the mountains and nicer weather is so appealing

I really don't know. I almost just want to flip a coin, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
4,486 posts, read 14,918,052 times
Reputation: 3919
I've lived in Phoenix (Scottsdale) 8 years and I plan on moving to the Dallas area in 1 or 2 years. Both cities have their own qualities.

Phoenix has the better climate. The winters are great and the summers are HOT (but not humid). Dallas winters are colder and Dallas can get ice, the summers are HOT and also humid (albeit not as humid as say Houston).

I prefer the Phoenix area scenery much better than that of Dallas. I LOVE desert scenery and I love the gorgeous mountains surrounding Phoenix. Scottsdale in particular has some of the best views in the entire Valley. Dallas is more green but it doesn't have any natural beauty besides the lakes. There aren't any mountains.

Dallas is more affordable plain and simple which makes it very attractive. Phoenix isn't neccesarily expensive compared to L.A., Seattle, San Diego, etc but it also isn't cheap. Dallas does get expensive when you look at the Park Cities, Southlake, Colleyville, but the majority of the area is fairly inexpensive. The more expensive areas of Phoenix are primarily Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and Fountain Hills.

Dallas has more in the way of urban atmosphere. Dallas actually has a skyline, something Phoenix sorely lacks. Dallas also has great nightlife, a TON of great restaurants, and high rises. Phoenix is very much suburban which to me isn't a bad thing but I would like it to have more in the way of nighttime activity.

Dallas beats Phoenix handsdown in the way of shopping and activities. Scottsdale has the fashion square and various other botiques but Dallas has the Galleria, NorthPark, and some other very exclusive shopping botiques.

Dallas beats Phoenix in sports teams. However during the springtime, tons of various sports teams flock to Phoenix for spring training.

It just depends on what you want and according to your criteria, both cities are nearly equal with Dallas just a tad bit ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
 
6,585 posts, read 22,378,491 times
Reputation: 3170
Come to Dallas and rent for a year and then if you think you made a mistake move to Phoenix. Or vice versa. Take the pressure of your decision by realizing you can change your mind at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 PM
 
458 posts, read 2,512,007 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Come to Dallas and rent for a year and then if you think you made a mistake move to Phoenix. Or vice versa. Take the pressure of your decision by realizing you can change your mind at any time.
Not a bad idea at all really. It may cost more up front if I were to live in one or the other for a year or so and then move again, but overall it would probably work out for the best. Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 PM
 
458 posts, read 2,512,007 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've lived in Phoenix (Scottsdale) 8 years and I plan on moving to the Dallas area in 1 or 2 years. Both cities have their own qualities.

Phoenix has the better climate. The winters are great and the summers are HOT (but not humid). Dallas winters are colder and Dallas can get ice, the summers are HOT and also humid (albeit not as humid as say Houston).

I prefer the Phoenix area scenery much better than that of Dallas. I LOVE desert scenery and I love the gorgeous mountains surrounding Phoenix. Scottsdale in particular has some of the best views in the entire Valley. Dallas is more green but it doesn't have any natural beauty besides the lakes. There aren't any mountains.

Dallas is more affordable plain and simple which makes it very attractive. Phoenix isn't neccesarily expensive compared to L.A., Seattle, San Diego, etc but it also isn't cheap. Dallas does get expensive when you look at the Park Cities, Southlake, Colleyville, but the majority of the area is fairly inexpensive. The more expensive areas of Phoenix are primarily Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and Fountain Hills.

Dallas has more in the way of urban atmosphere. Dallas actually has a skyline, something Phoenix sorely lacks. Dallas also has great nightlife, a TON of great restaurants, and high rises. Phoenix is very much suburban which to me isn't a bad thing but I would like it to have more in the way of nighttime activity.

Dallas beats Phoenix handsdown in the way of shopping and activities. Scottsdale has the fashion square and various other botiques but Dallas has the Galleria, NorthPark, and some other very exclusive shopping botiques.

Dallas beats Phoenix in sports teams. However during the springtime, tons of various sports teams flock to Phoenix for spring training.

It just depends on what you want and according to your criteria, both cities are nearly equal with Dallas just a tad bit ahead.
I heard that Dallas was known for nice malls and while I probably didn't even see the best ones, this one in Arlington that we went to is by far my favorite mall I've ever seen. I think it was called the Parks or something liek that. It had an ice rink in the middle of the mall. It was literally triple the size of any mall I've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2007, 07:58 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I heard that Dallas was known for nice malls and while I probably didn't even see the best ones, this one in Arlington that we went to is by far my favorite mall I've ever seen. I think it was called the Parks or something liek that. It had an ice rink in the middle of the mall. It was literally triple the size of any mall I've been to.
Nope, you did not see the best mall in the DFW area. Try these: NorthPark in Dallas, Stonebriar in Frisco, Galleria in Dallas, Firewheel in Garland, Willow Bend in Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 32,917,927 times
Reputation: 5539
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Nope, you did not see the best mall in the DFW area. Try these: NorthPark in Dallas, Stonebriar in Frisco, Galleria in Dallas, Firewheel in Garland, Willow Bend in Plano.
Oh no momof2, Parks mall in Arlington is the safest, cleanest, most beautiful mall in the entire DFW metroplex.. My, oh my, what has gotten into you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2007, 08:19 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Oh no momof2, Parks mall in Arlington is the safest, cleanest, most beautiful mall in the entire DFW metroplex.. My, oh my, what has gotten into you?
It is better than Six Flags Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top