U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:44 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,528,853 times
PB,

Do you realize you don't "need" a Dallas area code (phone number) if you have a cell? Who is your current provider?

If you really want a Dallas number, just go to Wal Mart and buy a tracfone. You give them the zip code of where you want the number from (choose a Dallas one) and you have a phone with no contract that is nationwide. It is expensive since it is prepaid but if for some reason you want a Dallas number before you make the move that would be the way to go.

Have you considered looking for a roommate also even if it is a temporary situation? Or a sublet? Those options might work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:40 PM

66 posts, read 147,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Hey Cookie, when I was young like you I was just like you. I was stuck in a truly dreary place called Springfield, MA and was raised in dump called Albany NY. Given that, I saw life as one big sad story at best.

So like you on a whim, I just said to myself there's got to be someplace in the world that's not so awful. The world just can't be all bad! I refused to believe it!

So one day walking through two feet of snow blowing in my face going to look for a job, I said to hell with it, if I have to look for a job, I'm gonna go do it somewhere where it's not snowing and see what the hell happens. I'll bet on the better angels. What's to lose?

So I took a bus to the Airport and thought Miami FL would be nice and warm so what the hell - I'll look for a job while enjoying a beach vacation.

It turned out to be one of the smartest moves I ever made.

I went down there, bought some new clothes, got a haircut, got a newspaper, made a phone call, and got a job and a place to stay the same day. With no background or baggage, I fell immediately madly in love with the Miamians and they clear felt the same toward me.

From that moment on I became convinced sometimes you just have to get away to someplace new and start over to get out from under whatever dark cloud is hanging over you.

I was a nice honest polite hard working kid and when I knocked on doors in MIA. It was astounding to me how happy so many nice (and even not so nice) people were to see me. As if they were flattered that I would care to seek their company. I could fill pages with stories of all the amazingly nice people I met then - it was a truly great experience - a veritable awakening!

Chelito is surely right. That formula worked for me too. If you're a decent girl with proper manners you can surely find something to get you started in the temps without much delay. People often underestimate what a valuable commodity something as simple as good manners is in business.

Granted managing with a child presents added challenge, but I think you could do as well down here as up there assuming you already manage your little one without much support from the fam. You might even meet some nice neighbors who will help you out.

I wouldn't consider Dallas a place where one needs live in fear of crime. And there's 10 billion retail stores here, so you're bound to find something. Where should you go? I'll leave it to the natives to guide you on that. Off the cuff I would say a working class neighborhood in the core or perhaps completely the opposite - a far out burb like McKinney where new stores are just opening and looking for help.

Most importantly, I just want to say I think your crazy idea might just work as my crazy idea worked for me. If you think the water looks warm and you feel like jumping in, you may just find out that you are right!
Wow. Thank you. You've definitely convinced me. :-)

Old 05-01-2010, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 6,363 times
Just wanted to add that you could also look at renting a room at a house. Then your cost is less and it's already furnished. I have relocated a handful of times to different cities because of my career and I usually do that first before finding a more permanent residence. Craigslist is a good source for that kind of lodging AND there are many nice houses in the North TX area.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
While Downtown Dallas is probably not the most ideal place to live with a small child, it's hardly dangerous! You have to take some of the negative commentary with a grain of salt as it is often written by people who don't have a clue about living in the middle of a big city. There are MUCH worse places to be in this city than Downtown Dallas.
Great. What a relief. Lol. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
PB,

Do you realize you don't "need" a Dallas area code (phone number) if you have a cell? Who is your current provider?
. . .
Have you considered looking for a roommate also even if it is a temporary situation? Or a sublet? Those options might work well.
I've thought about roommates, but I'd rather not. I would if I had no other options though.

I currently have T-mobile. I will be switching to Sprint first thing next month - Lord willing. I figured since I'm getting a new number anyway, it might as well be a local one.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:17 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,528,853 times
OK well for say a temporary Trac Fone, a 214 area code number comes from my zip code (75204). I have a large one bedroom with all included (gas, electric, water, waste) for 700 a month in Old East Dallas...near City Place which is ar Lemmon and 75 on a map.

I think the best way to find an apartment is driving around. I would stay in a long term hotel or motel for a week and get an apartment in that time. What is your budget for an apartment?

There are endless possibilities, but check on craigslist in the mean time...to have a list of places you like. Check them out on google maps and street view. When you see them in person, you will notice other apartments nearby. I found my apartment this way in two days...and I moved to Dallas site unseen from Miami.

What kind of work experience do you have? There are many call centers here...not that the pay is great but it's a start. Start lining up the resumes with the online temp agencies, they will contact you. Get the trac fone in the meantime to have the local number for a call back. When are you moving?

You will love Dallas. People are very nice and friendly. Lots of people from other areas, many people are happy here and it is clean and attractive. Tons of shopping and restaurants. Lots of available jobs considerng the economy. Affordable. Diverse so everyone fits in. I can't say enough about the place. If you are a social person you will love it here. The weather is surprisngly cold in the winter though, this isn't as warm as I thought, it actually snowed here several times and there were nights in the teens...but aparently this isn't the norm from what I'm told.

Well once again good luck, have faith and be confident that things will work out. Ignore the naysayers and make this happen.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
I would be careful about which budget suites you move in to. The ones off Forest Lane and 635 in Dallas Do have drug dealers and prostitutes. My mom has lived there for 4 years I have witnessed it. It's even worse from the one off I35 between Mockingbird and Regal Row seeing your by all the strip clubs, liquor stores and Harry Hines Which my mom lived at these for a year as well. Look at the room before you move in though some are not nice. Make sure it's the room you will stay in.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3lw View Post
I would be careful about which budget suites you move in to. The ones off Forest Lane and 635 in Dallas Do have drug dealers and prostitutes. My mom has lived there for 4 years I have witnessed it. It's even worse from the one off I35 between Mockingbird and Regal Row seeing your by all the strip clubs, liquor stores and Harry Hines Which my mom lived at these for a year as well. Look at the room before you move in though some are not nice. Make sure it's the room you will stay in.
What??! Wow. Thank you for the heads up. I thought North Dallas was the nice area of town? So which area of Dallas are the nice areas? And which one of those budget suites do you recommend?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Default Update

So, Lord willing, I'll be in Dallas at the end of June. Hopefully earlier. I picked out the following areas to live in:

Grand Prairie
Garland
Irving
Addison

Which one of these areas are the nicest to live in or which one would you live in if you had to choose out of those four? And please let me know why. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 PM

11 posts, read 17,225 times
PBCOOKIE - have you considered Frisco/Little Elm/The Colony.
We moved here last year from Goshen, IN. I know where you are coming from and I know there are very few jobs there as well. Elkhart county had 19% unemployment when we left.
We chose Frisco becuase it is all new and VERY family oriented. The poulation is over 100K up here and it is very retail oriented and has dozens of corporate headquarters along its border with Plano.
I would suggest you stay out of the more urban areas and stay further up north. There is no crime up here like there is when you get south of Plano. There are no "bad spots" in Frisco. Irving, Lewisville and Addison have lots of "bad spots". We feel very safe in Frsico. Little Elm is smaller, but older and thier economic level is lower than Frisco. We had out of work relatives just move down here to Little Elm from Ligonier(Noble county) as well.
Let me know if we can give you any specific info.
Frisco still has a small town feel as far as kid friendly events/parties et c. Our elementary kids were invited to several B-day parties and both are in sports.
There are brand new apartments in Frisco you can get on your budget and there are lots of day care options available and some are hiring. Look them up on careerbuilder or monster. There are also two after school programs in every elementary in Frisco that will keep kids until 6:30pm.
let me know what you are looking for job wise and I'll see if we can help.
You can send me an e-mail if you want specific info.
-Robb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas