U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 PM

3,256 posts, read 2,304,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
It's a largely republican state where people work hard and stand on their own two feet and don't ask for assistance because they got canned from a job.

Pick yourself up and push forward, don't blame the state and all the people living there because they wouldn't give assistance that quite honestly wouldn't have truly helped you anyway.

Sorry for your unfortunate circumstances, I really am, but I work my ass off to pay for people with this mentality and it really gets me miffed. Instead of looking for a way off unemployment you look for MORE unemployment assistance in probably the healthiest of job markets in the US, now there is a twisted irony. Sheeesh.
Now is that Texas hospitality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 PM

3,256 posts, read 2,304,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Seriously? Did you even read her post? Doesn't sound like she's some welfare queen looking for a free ride. It sounds like somebody who's worked hard, found some bad luck, and has kids to worry about until she CAN pull herself back to her feet.

I can't believe in this recession and with so many people unemployed through no fault of their own that other people would be so critical and judgmental of others needing to use the safety net that this society rightfully provides for its citizens.

It's the overall complete lack of empathy in Texas that miffs me.
Exactly.

This is the part of Texas that all the braggards in the "Why do you love Texas" thread forget to mention. This is the hairy wart that Texans hide. There is no social support system in the state. If you fall on hard times, nobody in the state cares about you, in fact they spit on your face.

Yet, Texans love to brag about their hospitality and how they are so nice. Oh, I guess it's only to those people that are financially solvent.

This is the underlying current in Texas that people from California, the Northeast, or other regions where there is a strong social system don't understand about Texas.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 AM

1,519 posts, read 3,371,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Rebel View Post
Dallas is a very dangerous city. The crime is terrible. No decent person who cares about their children would live there.
True. I got shot five times while writing this post. Well, six now.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 01-29-2011 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 08:28 AM

13,089 posts, read 13,585,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Rebel View Post
Dallas is a very dangerous city. The crime is terrible. No decent person who cares about their children would live there.
Dallas is not a very dangerous city. Quit making stuff up.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM

14,307 posts, read 25,628,621 times
frankly--this is all hype
if you are afraid ----don't come--simple as that--
Texas does not need any weak sisters at our stage of economic recession

Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM

2,597 posts, read 1,775,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcookie View Post
HI. I decided to move to Dallas, and I am terrified. Please, I need somebody to put my fears at ease or validate them. Please do not respond if you are just going to bash me, or call me stupid in some way, or tell me what I should or should not do. I need real advice from real down-to-earth people.

I'm scared because I am a single mom and I'm pretty young. In my twenties. I have no job lined up, but I will be moving with about $6,000. I'm scared that I may not get approved for an apartment, or I will but I will have to pay a lot of advance rent and not have money left over to hold me until I get a job. I'm scared because I know nothing about the city and am terrified that I may end up in the wrong place at the wrong time - if you know what I mean. I'll be moving my furniture in a UHaul trailer (which isn't much, just a living room and dining room set), but I'm worried about dragging it around with me while I find an apartment and then who will I get to help me unload it??? And I'm scared that I may not fit in. I know that sounds dumb, but I don't want to get lost. I'm also just scared about the crime and dangerous men. I'm by myself and attractive, and can be a bit naive and I know there are really evil men out there that target women like me (it's happened before), and I'm just scared to repeat history. I have to move though because my life here is wasting away. There are literally NO jobs where I live. I live in a very small town where everyone knows each other or will soon. :-) I am miserable here and have been battling SAD for months. It's too hard on me and on my son, and I feel like if I stay I will crack. Every person I know is depressed. It may sound farfetched, but it is true. People here just get used to it because they think it's like that everywhere and it's just life . . . but it isn't, because I've lived in other places and they are NOTHING like here. This place is called by many people a vortex because you get sucked in and most never escape (they leave and come back). My son is 4 and has already learned to discriminate by color because of the school he previously attended. I am on a downward spiral, and I know my son has no future here. I want to at least give him a chance, and it just won't happen where I live.

Any advice? Any information about things I'm afraid of? Any help would be greatly appreciated. And please don't be mean or insensitive. Just cause you don't feel the way I do, doesn't mean I'm stupid or deserve to be cut down. Thanks!
Just wondering how (if?) the move worked out for you.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 398 times
Default to move to big d or not to

I wouldn't do it unless I had a job lined up first. A visit and a friend(s) to stay with would be a better decision. The place is huge and the driving can be nerve-wracking. Without a car, I wouldn't consider living here although our public transportation is at least existent. But not all over nor all the time! Yes, I think people are racist here...all races are that way here, especially for kids in public middle and high schools. I don't you'll find racial discrimination in searching for a job or a place to live and certainly not in public places, but friendships and work relationships are a different story until people know you for yourself. Adults hide it, but it's there. I'm white and I've experienced racism against my race, and I've heard whites talk just as badly if not worse about other races. Once people from other races get to know you as a person and not a color, it goes away for adults, but I'd worry about a middle schooler or high schooler in a public high school! Probably would be alright for a younger child, however. You would definately enjoy the shopping and cultural offerings once you have a job and a car. I moved to Dallas from rural Illinois and I'd never go back, but I had a job when I moved! The weather, compared to the Midwest, is wonderful! Or really bad winter lasts only about 2 months. By mid-Feb you'll see trees starting to leaf out a little bit. It's so sunny compared to the Midwest. However, temps can be very changeable except for summers which are always sweltering. Allergies...I only got them when I moved out of the Midwest to Texas. It's plenty humid, too, in summers! But I'd do anything for a winter that at worst is 4 months long! I'd depend on meeting nice men at church or at work or in my apartment complex or neighborhood or in a class at one of our colleges or maybe Starbucks--not in the bar or club scene, which I've heard can be cold and cruel (never tried it). I'd also be very careful of predators: no invites to people I didn't know really well first, and definitely don't get into a car with someone or let someone get into your car or even stop your car unless you see his badge and call to verify it. Ditto with answering the door to strangers, including repair people. Be aware that your child won't be able to run around outside unless you or another adult you've known a long time is with him/her. Be careful of day care agencies. Check out their registration and drop in unannounced and definitely follow up on any bad vibes you get from your child's stories/experiences. That covers all the negatives. AS a former small town Midwestern girl, I get a big kick out of Dallas; I love the mix of ethnicities and cultures; I love having lots of opportunities to investigate the arts and music; I love the colorful character of the state! I also think people here are friendly and helpful. I really feel safe now that I know where to go and where to avoid going; it's probably a little easier here to find a job and a reasonable place to live than in other large cities. The scenery isn't it's biggest drawing card, but the weather is, and you can find pretty lakes, gardens and parks here, as well as interesting outlying places to explore if you have a car. Overall, I'd grade my experiences in Dallas over the last 30 years a B-plus and my life back in the Midwest a C-minus.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 AM

14,874 posts, read 21,752,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
It's a largely republican state where people work hard and stand on their own two feet and don't ask for assistance because they got canned from a job.

Pick yourself up and push forward, don't blame the state and all the people living there because they wouldn't give assistance that quite honestly wouldn't have truly helped you anyway.

Sorry for your unfortunate circumstances, I really am, but I work my ass off to pay for people with this mentality and it really gets me miffed. Instead of looking for a way off unemployment you look for MORE unemployment assistance in probably the healthiest of job markets in the US, now there is a twisted irony. Sheeesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Now is that Texas hospitality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

This is the underlying current in Texas that people from California, the Northeast, or other regions where there is a strong social system don't understand about Texas.
FYI, the poster you were asking about his "Texas Hospitality".......... is FROM Massachusetts. Actually still lives there. Never even has lived IN Texas. So try again...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas