Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,540 times

Advertisements

We are considering to move to one of the three cities above. Pro and Cons of the three? My office is in west of FW downtown while wife's is in west plano. Reasonable commute time for both of us is the priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,518,450 times
Coppell and Grapevine are smack in the middle, while Colleyville will add some decent time to your wife's commute. All have great schools. You'll find bigger lots in Grapevine and Southlake. Grapevine will probably be the cheapest. Coppell has a great small-town feel and a cohesive community. Personally, I'd choose Coppell

Old 05-03-2010, 03:45 PM

149 posts, read 565,481 times
I agree with the PP. Colleyville might be quite the drive for your wife. Coppell and Grapevine are right in the middle. We looked at both Grapevine and Coppell when we moved a few years back and really liked both. What made us settle in Coppell was the small town feel, great parks and schools. The downside is it is a bit more expensive than Grapevine and most lots in Coppell are definitely on the small side but we love it. My husband commutes to Dallas and really liked that he had lots of highway options into downtown. You are also close to the George Bush Tollway which would make your wife's commute super quick to West Plano. It takes about 35 minutes though from Coppell to downtown Ft. Worth I think.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM

15 posts, read 54,449 times
My DH commutes to Ft Worth from Coppell and it takes him a good 35mins if not longer. It really just depends on the time of day that he decides to leave and come home from work. If he leaves around 7:45-8am or 5pm the traffic can be pretty heavy but if he waits it out for 30mins he finds that he can be at work/ home at the same time as he would be if had left 30mins earlier. If you are lucky and can commute during non peak rush hour times the drive is easy and there is hardly any traffic.

I commute to Plano from Coppell and it is a breeze. Hardly any traffic on George Bush but you do have to pay tolls which can add up. I would say it take me 15mins.

I would say that you should check into the construction that is going to take place around the Airport for the new tollroad. Not sure how that will impact your commute from any of the three areas you mentioned. The construction isn't permenant but it might be a headache for a yr or two.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
121 and 114 are starting to see the remodeling going on--it will last in different areas for close to 4 yrs probably... George Bush usually has little traffic on it--getting to it from Colleyville/Grapevine area is a pain...

frankly I don't think lots in Grapevine subdivisions are big at all--most of the tract developments have yards .25 or smaller
unless you are looking at house that is 500K or so

will PM a real estate/MLS site to do some searching on--very well organized and covers the metroplex

Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM

11,816 posts, read 26,657,615 times
Yes, the DFW Connector reconstruction is going full-force, and it is expected to last until 2014.

Look at property taxes, too. Grapevine has some of Tarrant County's lowest, while Coppell has some of Dallas County's highest. You will also save money on car insurance by living in Tarrant County.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,518,450 times
Quote:
frankly I don't think lots in Grapevine subdivisions are big at all--most of the tract developments have yards .25 or smaller
unless you are looking at house that is 500K or so
True...it's all relative. You'll be hard pressed to find even .25 acres in Coppell due to the alleyways, though. That was the dealbreaker for my family.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,735,658 times
I work in Plano and my spouse works in south FW and we live in Coppell. The drive takes him anywhere from 35 minutes to sometimes an hour and a half, all depends on traffic, weather (like today), etc. I take GB to work and the tolls add up, about $80-$100 a month but it doesn't take too long, about 20-25 minutes. After commuting for months, my spouse is fed up with the drive so we are moving out of Coppell and closer to his work. I like Coppell, it has been great but with the new DFW Connector, the traffic is already getting really bad. It isn't going to get any better for about 4 years and I want my spouse to keep his sanity intact. I will also agree, ChristieP is right, taxes are ridiculously high in Coppell. Frankly, imo, Dallas county sucks when it comes to taxes.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,920,835 times
Coppell is the most sterile and has the least atmosphere. It's bordered by freeways, large business parks, and power lines. Both Grapevine and Colleyville have better parks, old growth trees, shopping, and dining. The school systems are equally good. Take a drive down Coppel's main thoroughfare and then go visit Grapevine Main St, the parks by the lakes, and Parr park in Colleyville you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 PM

155 posts, read 500,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Coppell is the most sterile and has the least atmosphere. It's bordered by freeways, large business parks, and power lines. Both Grapevine and Colleyville have better parks, old growth trees, shopping, and dining. The school systems are equally good. Take a drive down Coppel's main thoroughfare and then go visit Grapevine Main St, the parks by the lakes, and Parr park in Colleyville you'll see what I mean.
You are correct, Coppell hasn't turned itself into a tourist trap. And it does have a great, central location with easy access to just about any place in the metroplex via all the major highways. Those are positives in my book. That combined with very good schools and a small town feel make it a great place to live.

Seriously though, all of these are nice towns with a lot to offer. You just have to take a look for yourself and figure out what's right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas