U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,357 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

This is my first post on this forum so I hope I am posting in the correct area. I recently purchased a home in need of quite a bit of foundation work in the Oak Cliff area.

Do you guys have any companies you highly recommend that do good work at a reasonable rate?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 04:09 PM

244 posts, read 286,956 times
Default Foundation Company

We and many people in our neighborhood have had great luck with Alpha Foundation.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:19 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,163,170 times
I have had several clients happy with Premiere Foundation in Carrollton. They had the lowest bids and did the work in a timely fashion.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:46 PM

28 posts, read 13,165 times
This is a super bump, but searched for Alpha Foundation and found this thread... Our home in Winnetka Heights is going to have foundation work soon. What should we expect on the days they are completing the work (noise, etc)? The home is pier & beam. What should we expect after the work has been completed? Do we need a plumber or any other professionals following the foundation work? We are worried that things may break (plumbing & roof especially) when the foundation is leveled...

And finally, how do we know that the job was done well?

Thanks for the responses in advance.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:05 PM

244 posts, read 335,175 times
Our neighbor had his foundation fixed it was literately a bunch of guys diggings holes around the house for the piers and the putting the concrete columns down the hole and a machine that hammered them down. I don't remember is being particularity loud.

Although since your house is pier and beam they might just put some shims under the ones that need adjusting or are they adding new piers?

I would advise to get a plumber to do a static test to make sure the shifting does not affect any of the plumbing. The roof should be unaffected.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:11 PM

28 posts, read 13,165 times
They are placing steel shims between piers and sub-floor, replacing improper piers, replacing damaged floor joists, and replacing damaged perimeter beams. Pretty much the full service.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:17 PM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
Get a structural engineer involved. Coupke hundred for peace of mind.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:14 PM

860 posts, read 560,603 times
Agree with all this. You might also want to get a little dirty and look under there yourself. You are going to need to have the foundation adjusted every year to 18 months and if you have an idea of what it actually looks like under there, you will have a much easier time talking to the foundation guys when they come out. You are also going to have cracks in your drywall after the foundation work. Nothing that can be done about it really.
Welcome to Winnetka Heights. Best neighborhood in Dallas, hands down.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 AM

244 posts, read 286,956 times
We've lived in and restored two homes in Winnetka Heights but we've never had to do as much work as you are doing. Like others have said, have Alpha work with a structural engineer. I trust them more than most, but this is an area where you may need the big dogs.

Even with that much work, the things you will notice will be minor (if you're used to old houses). I would expect doors that don't open and shut as they had before and new cracks from settling. You will experience this again during the first dry season and again in the damp season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or