U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,997,078 times

Advertisements

All of that area around McKinney including Anna and all the other towns around there are growing fast just like McKinney is. There is a lot of good housing developments in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
DANG! For a sec there I thought you were referring to Virginia (VA) and that the norhtern burbs of Dallas had done made their way all the way up to there. LOL!!! I mean I know there are people that commute to Dallas from the Oklahoma border but from Virginia. Hey, Texas is so great it has taken over Oklahoma, Arkansas, MO and all the way to Virginia. I think I need to go to bed...... but I do see now that you meant Van Alstyne.
LOL, sorry. All of the natives just call it "VA". I don't even think out "Van Alstyne" in my head, just use the initials.
Quote:
They are building a Brookshires there in Anna. It will give the folks in Van Alstyne/Anna a better option than having to go all the way to Mckinney for groceries. Everyone I know that lives that way are pretty stoked to know it is coming. One told me that way if they run out of milk at home, they don't have to pay 5 dollars for it at the convience store there in town.
Yes, that's true. Not only is Diamonds (the grocery store in VA) obnoxiously expensive, it has become so crowded from having to serve so many people + transplants, that it's a pain to even go in there. And I would like to note that, yes I do realize that when a new grocery store is what people get excited about, it is a very sad state of affairs.

lifertexan, I have no idea about how seedy Farmersville is. Someone else around here should, though.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:53 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,304,971 times
We are now looking at VA too! I work in Princeton but I am a little worried about the schools. I don't want my children going to school with a bunch of country bumpkins!! I want them to be within a diverse group. I am going to have to ask around. We want our children to go to school with different ethnic groups. We are not caucasian and we don't want to go to a school where my children would be the only (plug race here) in the school. Hopefully the schools there are good.We are in McKinney ISD, and love it. But we want to live in an acre or more of land, impossible to afford in McKinney.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:32 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,481,296 times
Quote:
I don't want my children going to school with a bunch of country bumpkins!!
This cracks me up!Both my kids went to "country bumpkin" schools,so much so that on about the last full day of school each year the seniors get to drive their family tractors to school in a big parade,then get let out right after rollcall to take the tractors back home and then goof off the rest of the day.My youngest's class had only 90 kids,but every one of them is going on to college,most to big schools like TT and A&M.My daughter said she doesn't know of a single kid in her graduating class not going on to a 4 yr college.Since all 3 school levels are next door to each other on the same campus,for all practical purposes both kids got to go to the same school for all 12 years,have the same friends for all 12 years,and support and cheer for the same (very good) football team (a big deal here) for 12 years.All the teachers and staff know every kid on a first name basis,and gangs and any drug stronger than pot are nonexistent,and pot is very rare (but cold beer is not).There are no cops,or even any kind of school security, needed on the campus,and in the 16 years I put 2 kids through there the biggest incident was a now classic food fight,along with a single incident 4 or 5 years ago of a transfer kid being found growing pot in the ag barn.

And the education was excellent,being given either the 1st or 2nd highest rating the state gives out,I can't remember which offhand.The only complaint I could have is that the selection of classes for gifted kids doesn't match what the city schools offer.But when I hear stories from teachers who used to teach in the high schools in the city here and who have taken positions out at the country bumpkin school of the kids in the city having to go to the restroom in groups of 3 and 4 to keep from getting ganged up on,I'll take that trade any day.I never once in 16 years wondered at the quality of my kids education,or worried about their safety at school.As the credit card commercial says, "priceless".

Old 06-21-2007, 07:44 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,456,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
We are now looking at VA too! I work in Princeton but I am a little worried about the schools. I don't want my children going to school with a bunch of country bumpkins!! I want them to be within a diverse group. I am going to have to ask around. We want our children to go to school with different ethnic groups. We are not caucasian and we don't want to go to a school where my children would be the only (plug race here) in the school. Hopefully the schools there are good.We are in McKinney ISD, and love it. But we want to live in an acre or more of land, impossible to afford in McKinney.
Many of the local rural schools (borderline oxymoron I know,) that I've visited are fairly diverse, with at least White, African American and Hispanic cultures well represented, and with the occasional Asian.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:37 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,304,971 times
Thanks for that insight lifertexas. I didn't mean any disrespect. I drove over the VA area and looked at 3 properties. We are still looking, but in no way did I mean it to put down anyone. Trust me I work with alot of people who live in rural areas and they are the nicest people. I just want a good quality education. Maybe moving out to the rural schools would be better for us. Hmmmmm

Old 06-21-2007, 03:43 PM

81 posts, read 207,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarb View Post
LOL, sorry. All of the natives just call it "VA". I don't even think out "Van Alstyne" in my head, just use the initials.

Yes, that's true. Not only is Diamonds (the grocery store in VA) obnoxiously expensive, it has become so crowded from having to serve so many people + transplants, that it's a pain to even go in there. And I would like to note that, yes I do realize that when a new grocery store is what people get excited about, it is a very sad state of affairs.

lifertexan, I have no idea about how seedy Farmersville is. Someone else around here should, though.
I've never heard Van Alstyne referred to as "VA," and wondered what you meant by that. If any longtime Van Alstyne resident heard it referred to as the "VA," they'd probably cringe.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,481,296 times
Quote:
I just want a good quality education. Maybe moving out to the rural schools would be better for us.
A quality education depends on the people in the district,primarily the parents and how well they support the schools,and not on it's size,except that larger often means worse.As I said,the only negative I found in 16 years of small schools was the limitations on choice of electives and AP classes.The positives,such as a smaller student/teacher ratio,a more personal rapport with the teachers,far less criminal behavior,no gangs or cliques,way more overall student participation in things like sports and UIL contests,far,far outweighed the one negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or