Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,807 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving from the Alexandria VA area to the DFW area. I have a job transfer to Irving TX. I'm looking for a nice/safe area. I'm open to living in the the city, but I've also been told to look at Las Colinas. (Job is 4 miles away from Las Colinas)

It's gonna be my girlfriend and I, we are looking to keep it under $1200 without Utilities. Covered parking or Garage is preferred. I'd like to be in a neighborhood where I can walk places. Close to a grocery store/shopping.

If anyone can steer me into the right neighborhood or apartment that would be awesome.

(looking for at least a 1 bedroom 1 bath)

I've just never been to dallas except for the giant airport, and have no idea where the young professionals live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM

790 posts, read 1,220,331 times
We just moved from OT Alexandria a few weeks ago - welcome! Not many walkable areas here. There are a few areas with some shops and restaurants to walk to but it is definitely the exception. I moved to Dallas once before when I was in my 20's I lived near lovers lane and the tollway and enjoyed walking to all the shops around there. Not A bad commute to las colinas either.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 PM

212 posts, read 409,844 times
Your budget should get you someplace nice anywhere, but you need to consider what kind of commute you want. While public transportation exists in DFW, in all likelihood you will be using your car. A lot. But I worked in Irving for several years and the good news is it is one of the easiest places to get to in the Metroplex from several different directions.

In addition to Las Colinas, you may want to consider the Uptown and Knox Henderson areas. The commute would be a little sweep down Central Expressway or the Tollway to I35 and then out the Airport Freeway (114/183). Possibly the Bishop Arts District / North Cliff neighborhood would work as well, but I'm not familiar with the options there. Someone else may want to weigh in.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,098 times
Think about Valley Ranch, just north of 635 LBJ expressway. Easy shot to Las Colinas. Little bit cheaper. Somewhat walkable. Canals and walking paths along them. I lived there on a canal in the late 80s and whenever I go back I'm amazed at the growth and changes there.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 PM

Great, I'll check out the Knox Henderson area, seems a little further away from work but looks like some quality apartments.

Uptown is in the city? How safe is it there?

Does anyone have any experience with this place? Colonial Reserve at Las Colinas | Irving TX

Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
We just moved from OT Alexandria a few weeks ago - welcome! Not many walkable areas here. There are a few areas with some shops and restaurants to walk to but it is definitely the exception. I moved to Dallas once before when I was in my 20's I lived near lovers lane and the tollway and enjoyed walking to all the shops around there. Not A bad commute to las colinas either.

Wow. I'm from the OT Alexandria area as well. Think Duke Street. I'm hoping i can find somewhere i enjoy just as much in the Dallas Area.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,220,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1234 View Post
Wow. I'm from the OT Alexandria area as well. Think Duke Street. I'm hoping i can find somewhere i enjoy just as much in the Dallas Area.

My top preference for a neighborhood would be the Knox Henderson area, also recommended by another poster. I think, however, that the commute might be a little unpleasant. I used to do it - further actually than yours would be -- but traffic wasn't nearly as bad a decade ago, IMHO. I like Uptown too though it's a little more glitzy, see-and-be-seen, I think. As I mentioned earlier I do also like the area around the Inwood Theater (Inwood and Lovers) and I think that would be a pretty easy commute to Las Colinas, too.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM

212 posts, read 409,844 times
Beware of any commute that involves 635 between Central Expressway and I35. It's under construction and will be for the next four years.

Dallas is the 9th largest city in the country. DFW is the 4th largest metropolitan area. You need to keep your wits about you wherever you are whenever you are, even "affluent suburbs" in the daylight. But you can go out and about in Uptown during reasonable hours without a bodyguard.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Uptown Dallas. It's cool, it's hip, it's where the young and vibrant move to. It's a 12 minute drive to the Hidden Ridge - MacArthur area in Irving. You'll go right through Las Colinas. You'll be traveling opposite rush hour traffic.

It's as safe as you want to be, as cool as it's going to get, and everything you want.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Uptown, Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson will be your best options. These are the most walkable areas outside of downtown and there's lots of restaurants, bars and shops along with parks and athletic trails, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas