U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:26 PM

24 posts, read 82,593 times
Question Which direction should the house better faces?

Hi,

I am wondering which direction should the house better faces in Texas, so the house is bright during the day but does not get too hot in the summer?

BTW, when I say "faces", I meant the direction the front door faces. I understand that the light is usually coming from the back of the house in Texas.

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:17 PM

146 posts, read 229,963 times
I think North or South is best. However, if you have to choose between East or West, I'd choose East. That way in the evenings when the sun sets in the West, you could enjoy your backyard.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:19 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,687,004 times
Your answer will depend partly on the design of your home. That is where the rooms and windows are located, etc. My home faces East and until the sun starts to set I receive plenty of light from windows on the East side. In the hotter months the South and West sides of the home will receive the brunt of the heat from solar loading. As a result I have full length solar screens on the South and West side windows. Even so I still have to close shades when the sun is high and strong.

Look at the design of your home to find your answer.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 PM

2,395 posts, read 5,568,132 times
Purely from an energy efficiency perspective: the best orientation is a home with the bulk of your windows facing north/south. Put deciduous trees on the Southern exposure for even better efficiency (shading the windows/wall in the summer to stop solar heat gain in the summer and allow it in the winter, when you want it).

Old 05-06-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks, everyone!
What if most of the living area and the backyard is facing southwest?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:40 PM

435 posts, read 996,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviandynamite View Post
Thanks, everyone!
What if most of the living area and the backyard is facing southwest?
you will have lots of light and a high electric bill.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 PM

1,681 posts, read 1,699,395 times
Avoid any house that faces South or West if you are concerned about air conditioning costs since that is where most heat gain takes place, unless there is enough fully grown/matured trees to provide shade.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 PM

Thanks, everyone! I did a little research myself and found Southwest could be the best facing direction.

Solar Path Diagram

According to the Solar Path Diagram,
Spring and Fall - Sun rises from the East and set to the West
Winter - Sun rises from the Southeast and set to the Southwest
Summer - Sun rises from the Northeast and set to the Northwest

Therefore, it looks that, in order to get enough light and heat from the Sun in Winter, the living area of the house needs to face Southeast, South, or Southwest. Among these three directions, if I do not want to be woken up by the Sunlight in the morning, my bedroom should not face Southeast.

Looking at the diagram, I think neither South nor Southwest facing houses will get much direct sunlight in Summer because the Sun is high in the sky when it shines at these directions.

In the Winter, Southwest-facing house is a good place to watch sunset.

Last edited by viviandynamite; 05-06-2010 at 11:14 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM

10 posts, read 18,063 times
i have a feng shui question. I'm in a rental and my front door is in the back yard. is that good luck or bad luck? and why?

Old 08-24-2012, 02:30 AM

3,949 posts, read 9,124,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04649 View Post
i have a feng shui question. I'm in a rental and my front door is in the back yard. is that good luck or bad luck? and why?
If your front door is in the backyard, that makes it a backdoor. Do you really mean that your house doesn't have a front door? is it a single family or a condo?

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas