Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 AM

931 posts, read 2,124,425 times

Advertisements

Most Real Estate Agents represent the sale not the buyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,681,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
Most Real Estate Agents represent the sale not the buyer
BS. If you are the buyer and you have an agent working for you then they are there to represent YOU and NOT the seller. They will work in YOUR best interest.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,496,953 times
and if that means not making a sale and losing commission then so be it--
that is what being a BUYER'S agent means...

Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,481,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
BS. If you are the buyer and you have an agent working for you then they are there to represent YOU and NOT the seller. They will work in YOUR best interest.
I think you've missed the point -- I have a buyer's agreement with an agent who is NOT working for my best interest despite the agreement - that's what is so frustrating!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I think you've missed the point -- I have a buyer's agreement with an agent who is NOT working for my best interest despite the agreement - that's what is so frustrating!
I was responding to the other poster.

I think you have gotten some great advice. The other posters are correct in that a REPUTABLE Realtor is NOT and NEVER should EVER speculate on why some repair or upgrade was done. That can get their butt in a sling real fast. An answer of "I don't know" is the right answer in those types of situations. She flat out doesn't know and she would be lying to you if she even tried to give you an answer as to why it was done. That IS in your best interest. If you want a Realtor that is going to lie to you and tell you what you want to hear then I'm sure there are plenty out there that would.

When you say that one house you viewed needed carpet and other things did it NEED carpet or was it you just did not care for the color of it? There IS a difference. If the carpets were worn out that is one thing. If they are a color you do not desire that is entirely a different story. If they are worn out and such (this goes for other items besides just carpet) then there can be concessions made to make the price reflect that. Most reputable Realtors will inform their clients of such when they list the house so the sellers know they need to replace these items or adjust the price to reflect it. If it is just items that are one persons taste over anothers then that will not be reflected in the price. There is a difference.

If your Realtor is telling you that the sellers paid more for the house x years ago then she IS looking out for you. She may have already talked to the listing agent and they have told her that the sellers will not go below a certain price but she will not know what that price is. If your Realtor did not tell you this information then she would not be looking out for you at all. She is letting you know Seller A has to bring some serious money to the table to close and they do have a limit of how low they can go as they just don't have the funds to go any lower and make up the difference. Seller B has a house that needs updating and they have priced it accordingly for the area and to reflect those needs. Seller C has a house that is "perfect" in that it needs no work done at all, all updates are done, they have put a lot of money into it, etc so they may not be willing to come down to much. If your Realtor is informing you of this information then she is doing her job. She could just open the door and stay outside and let you tour the house on your own. But she is not doing that. She is giving you all the information on the house that she is aware of and knows and can legally tell you.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I was responding to the other poster.

If your Realtor is telling you that the sellers paid more for the house x years ago then she IS looking out for you..
Sorry about the mix-up --

As for your latter statement - you are misconstruing the context. She told me this in an effort to persuade me to put in as high an offer as possible, which would have been overpaying for the house, based on the neighbohood comps I had in hand. That is not looking out for me ... that is looking out for her friend, the seller.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,496,953 times
two points about the "overpriced house" that apparently is weighing significantly in your opinion of the RE agent working with you---

1--as Momof2 said--it could be that the seller will not go below a certain price point because they do not have the money to make up the difference at closing...so even if you make a low bid for what you think is an overpriced house--the sellers may not take it (at least at this point)...so you are wasting your time and efforts

2--it could be that as the seller is more familiar with this particular area she may be viewing the dip in prices as temporary and an aberrant blip in the price/value stream...that overall the value of the homes in the area is above what the recent comps might show based on long-term "professional" knowledge of the market...
and frankly if you are planning on staying in the house for several years that IS a valid point--in the sense that the market will recover -- she may not think the price difference is that significant...
you would however lose whatever the difference is between what you think a fair market price is based on recent comps and what you would have to increase your bid to--IF you want to offer for the house...

frankly I think you need to get someone new--you are never going to be comfortable working with this person or taking advice from him/her--and that is going to show if it has not before now...

Old 05-11-2010, 11:23 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,006,064 times
BTW if you are obsessing over carpet (or paint color) maybe you shouldn't be buying a home...

Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
BTW if you are obsessing over carpet (or paint color) maybe you shouldn't be buying a home...

Rude and uncalled for, Lakewooder. Shame on you!!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I know. It never ceases to amaze me the people that will totally knock a house off the list that fits them to a "T" over something that is EASILY changed and not very expensive to do either. I totally overlook things like paint, wallpaper and flooring as I can EASILY change that. If the house layout, room sizes, yard, location, etc are all there........... then the other stuff is not worth even noticing. You can't change the location of the house and you can't do much about the floorplan (without spending $$$$$$) nor can you change the yard size. You CAN change carpet and paint.

I'll never forget selling our first house we had chair rail molding in the dining & living room and below it was a darker paint color. On the listing it even said, "seller will paint buyers choice" and we even put a sticky note on the wall when it was being shown. Had one buyer walk out when they stepped in and saw the paint color that was ONLY BELOW THE CHAIR RAIL! The buyer that bought the house LOVED it and even said they were glad it was there so they didn't have to do it. LOL!!! Even if they didn't it only would have cost me or the buyer maybe $30 to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas