U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 PM

2,783 posts, read 5,862,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pot_roast View Post
And if they try, you can shoot at them in self defense. :P

The more sane firearms laws are yet another reason that I want to move out that way. The Brady Campaign and the hypocritical actions of our Bay Area Democrats has made being a gun owner in California very difficult.

Heck, there was some other thread asking if there was anti-mexican prejudice in Dallas. While I can't speak for the DFW area yet, i can tell you that you are more warmly welcomed as a "jump over the border join La Raza/fly the Mexican flag/say how we're gonna vote tomorrow/sing songs about taking over Aztlan/etc" illegal immigrant than you are as a gun owner.

Too many soccer moms that think because you own a 22 caliber rifle you're 10 minutes away from climbing the nearest bell tower and picking off babies.

I thought that I had a point but i guess that I really just wanted to say that I can't wait to get the heck out of California. :-)
Oh, and we have some hardcore bible thumpers around here too. I have come home at least 5 times in the past few months and found that some church had stuck notes/etc on my door. I REALLY HATE THAT because when I'm out of town it just advertises "nobody has been here in 3 days." I called one of them to say "Hey, please don't do that, mmkay?" and whoever answered the phone basically told me to sod off because they were going to do whatever it took to spread the word of Teh Lord... even if it meant spamming my front door.

Yeah. So, be accepting of those that go to church and those that don't. just because you don't go to church means that you sit around with Satan and mulch puppies.

What a great post. What exactly is a mulch puppy? Yes, the gun laws here are much more in line with that silly thing called the Constitution You won't really miss CA at all!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 AM

41 posts, read 135,716 times
I dont want to move to Dallas. I am not a big city girl. Lived in the country and rode horses and showed my whole life. I am looking for somewhere outside of Dallas. We are into boating and need to find a nice lake to put our boat in. I know all big cities have there issues and I dont intend on living in a big city. Do you know a family of three in California pays 1600$ a month in health care alone. that is a house payment. My mom who is 60 pays $700 just for her and she is retired. my husband and I work 7 days a week, just to pay taxes, health care and dmv fees. I pay an around 500$ per car or truck to the dmv for fees. our gas here is 1$ more a gallon then anywhere else. The crime here is out of control. Gangs have taken over the nice quite little next to us, which is the only place close to shop. When you drive you dont dare look at the person next to you, because they might be in a gang and if you look at them funny, you might get shot. now tell me is California a nice place to live. We live 40 min from Sacramento, so we are used to 115 degree heat in the summer for a month at a time. Last winter for over a month it hit below 20 degrees.
it is dusty and windy here almost everyday, even the summer.
People California isn't wonderful at all. definitly no place to raise a family safely.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 AM

670 posts, read 2,674,706 times
Horsegirl I don't think health insurance is going to be much cheaper, if at all, in Dallas. We've shopped for it before and for a family of five about 2-3 years ago it was roughly $1500 a month.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM

well atleast it is 5. I have talked to several familys that pay $1600. I just think that is nutts. I brought up an issue that is bad here. I spent time in forth worth and little elm, but didn't notice any. are gangs a problem in Texas?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,254,939 times
Horsegirl, try looking out in the area outside of Rockwall. Some areas to look into are Royce City, McClendon-Chisholm, Fate and Heath. You would be surrounded by horses and other horse lovers and be right by Lake Ray Hubbard w/ several marinas on it. If you want a quieter lake there would be several options a little farther east like Lake Tawakoni, Lake Fork, Cooper Lake, Lake O The Pines, etc.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 AM

thank you for the info. looked at Flower Mound and I thought it seemed alittle pricey, also Oak Point I thought seemed pricey. My plan is to checkout Rockwall. Didn't know how horsey it was, but it sounds like I would like it. Are there lots of ranches in that area. I might need to board out my horses, till I find what I am looking for. I did find a house in Royce city with 2 acres. Just having a hard time selling what I have here in California. Was planning on flying out in a few weeks, but airfare had went up, so thought about going after the holidays. We have friends in Frisco, so they were going to show us around Rockwall. Are the schools in Royce City very good? one thing I can say is my daughter is in a very good school now. alot of parent involvment in the schools.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:09 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,254,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORSEGIRL View Post
thank you for the info. looked at Flower Mound and I thought it seemed alittle pricey, also Oak Point I thought seemed pricey. My plan is to checkout Rockwall. Didn't know how horsey it was, but it sounds like I would like it. Are there lots of ranches in that area. I might need to board out my horses, till I find what I am looking for. I did find a house in Royce city with 2 acres. Just having a hard time selling what I have here in California. Was planning on flying out in a few weeks, but airfare had went up, so thought about going after the holidays. We have friends in Frisco, so they were going to show us around Rockwall. Are the schools in Royce City very good? one thing I can say is my daughter is in a very good school now. alot of parent involvment in the schools.
If you can fly out over a weekend check sites like bestfares.com, hotels.com, expedia.com, travelocity.com and such for their "last minute getaways". You can usually find some GREAT deals on air/hotel packages for the upcoming weekend.

Yes, LOTS of areas w/ horses out in the Rockwall area. In the exttreme city center of Rockwall it is more the typical subdivisions but once you get out a little bit you will find homes on acreage and some neighborhoods/developments are putting in their own stables w/ trails. Rockwall and the area is MUCH more horse friendly than places like Flower Mound and Frisco. OMY, YES! You will see horses pretty much all around the outside of town. Too bad your not here this week. The Rockwall Homecoming Parade is tomorrow afternoon and I'll be there for that even though we don't live or have kids in school there, lol. It is a BIG community involved area. All of my friends that live in Royce City really like the schools. One lives on an acre and a half in a fairly new very small development. There is a golf course in Royce City too that is private but open to anyone and is supposed to be very nice. The man that owns it is developing lots all around it right now and the homes in that area are supposed to be on the upper end for the area. Royce City and Fate have always been a little less expensive house wise than Rockwall.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:27 AM

I will try that bestfares.com. Haven't heard of that one. Great! I am so glad to hear that Rockwall is a horsey area. We needed to find an area that would fit both of our needs. My husband is into contruction, we own our own company. Do you think it would be hard to find work in this area? He really doesn't want to commute to a big city for work. is Plano the biggest town that is close? my daughter and I love the mall, so where is the best place for that? Been to the grapevine mall and loved it.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 AM

670 posts, read 2,674,706 times
DFW mom I didn't know about the developments putting in stables. When I was a kid there were several communities (I don't know if they still have them) that would have condos or houses (although they called the condos pods) that had community stables and riding rings, turn out rings, etc. kind of like "community pools" here. Sometimes you got X amount with the purchase of the house, sometimes a monthly, fee, etc. When we moved to Texas I was surprised I couldn't find developments like that when we were looking. We *are* coming back (movers should be pulling out of here with our stuff October 26th!!!) and that's something I might be looking into when we are ready to purchase again.

Horsegirl what about Lake Ray Roberts area? I always thought it was pretty.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 AM

that is around Pilot Point and Aubrey area. I have been looking for two years and thought a house with alittle land seemed pricey over there. also I checked and dont think that lake has marinas and our boat is on the big side, so has to be docked somewhere. where we dock and boat now is 45 min away. kind of a pain when we want to go, so our boat doesn't get much use, plus with gas being over 4$ a gallon at the marina, puts a damper on having fun. Lake Lewisville looked like a fun boating place, but not much for horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or