Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:24 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,273,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lategreattex
Jesus Christ!!!!!Somebody make it stop. Enough outsiders here! Enough Transplants here! I know you get all giddy about reasonable housing, but this is Texas and we have a way of life here that we would like to somehow salvage and restore. This can not happen with so damn many Transplants coming here. There are actually people who welcome the 150,000 Katrina victims and the millions of illegal aliens here more than they do Californians and Midwesterners. (possibly because at least they know there is a chance that they may have to leave someday). But come on already, over population is never a positive thing. Those affordable houses that ya'll are so drawn to will be the slums in 10 yrs or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Dude I actually agree with you. And if we continue to have our population explosion at the rate its going (I've read we'll be at between 9-10 million by 2025), there won't be any affordable housing ANYWHERE!!!! Its already getting overpriced in many neighborhoods, and at the same time losing their character.....for example, my neighborhood....UPTOWN/OAKLAWN!
This is what I'm worried about, too. It's not so much that someone from another state or country wants to live here, there's nothing wrong with that. People move around all the time. It's the numbers in such a short time, the sheer number of transplants! I swear sometimes when I'm out in public and listen to people speak I feel like I'm in another state! Except when we go back to Forney where my husband was raised and his kids live. But it's growing fast, too.

Right now in the hallway of the building where I work there is a coworker from Illinois, one from Connecticut, one from Rhode Island (first time I ever met anyone from R.I.!), one from South Carolina and one from Mississippi (well, that's okay, they sound more similar to us! ) and me and three other native Texans. And I can go on like that down the hallways here.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:30 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,407,707 times
I don't begrudge you saying that you think I am not a Texan (I have a deed to prove it), but anyway, I understand what it feels like to feel threatened that my way of life is changing because someone wants to come in and change things.

Buddy, let me tell you, I moved her because I thought ya'll had cajones! I moved here because I didn't want it to be like the place I left. My husband and I came out here because we were tired of the state government raising taxes and still having a broken education system. Imposing on individual's freedoms by taking money from one sector of society to pay for another part of society that just sat on their butts all day collecting a welfare check.

I have been adamant on this board that I think it is wrong to move to a place and then complain it is like the place ya left and then try to change it. If you want it that bad, then go back. Everyone is different.

I just want to be a good neighbor and be in a good environment to raise my daughter.

I could just not post on the board and say thank you very much for all your help, I am taking my information and be fine. But throughout my (going on two years) research on my move, I have been extremely grateful for all the help I have received and feel a necessity to "pay it forward" to help others with what I have found.

P.S.: Btw, I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough that I was told by a Texas History Professor that the state came into being a place where a lot of people migrated for a "second-chance". Im sorry if I offended you.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Bush was born in Connecticut as I think most of us know but the family moved here when he was a toddler. He was raised here so he thinks of himself as Texan.

And Guingirl may not have been born here but she sounds like a Texan at heart so by God, she is a Texan!
Thank you for the kind words of you and both Momof2dfw.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Hey guingirl, were you meaning me in your other post above about being offended? If you took it that way, I'm sorry! I may have whined a bit in my post but all those people I mentioned that I work with are great people. Sometimes some people are a little resistant to change because the status quo is comfortable and familiar. I do know others who, even after living here 5, 10 or more years, still seem or act like outsiders. But I get a kick out of hearing someone say "y'all" with an out-of-state accent.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Thank you for the kind words of you and both Momof2dfw.
You're welcome! You are a great poster and find the positive!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,312,041 times
I am currently in Dallas doing sent here to do some work for my employer. I can't believe housing prices here. My 700 sq ft condo in Seattle is currently appraised at $325k.

And houses in my neighborhood in Seattle range from $600k to $1.2 million.

In Dallas I can have beautiful home, not a shoebox condo for $300k. I know why so many folks from the west coast are moving there.

It was also refreshing not to see any graffitti.

Only thing that bothered me is Dallas has no natural scenery. I admit howerver I did not have a chance to get out and about.

I was working and staying in the Las Colinas area of Irving. I did get a chance to visit friends in the Oak Lawn district of Dallas adjacent to a town within Dallas called University Park - very nice area.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:52 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,654,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Hey guingirl, were you meaning me in your other post above about being offended? If you took it that way, I'm sorry! I may have whined a bit in my post but all those people I mentioned that I work with are great people. Sometimes some people are a little resistant to change because the status quo is comfortable and familiar. I do know others who, even after living here 5, 10 or more years, still seem or act like outsiders. But I get a kick out of hearing someone say "y'all" with an out-of-state accent.
I think the people who move here and stay 5-10 years and complain about it are shmoes. But I also think the folks who think that any new person moving to Texas is bad and is ruining the state are also shmoes. PLenty of adopted Texans like my wife and I came here from California and love it. We do our best to make it a better community. And besides, with our baby due Saturday we will have a native Texan in the house so that has to count for something. I'm thinking of him/her as my Texas anchor baby .

Old 10-27-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I think the people who move here and stay 5-10 years and complain about it are shmoes. But I also think the folks who think that any new person moving to Texas is bad and is ruining the state are also shmoes. PLenty of adopted Texans like my wife and I came here from California and love it. We do our best to make it a better community. And besides, with our baby due Saturday we will have a native Texan in the house so that has to count for something. I'm thinking of him/her as my Texas anchor baby .
Awwww!! Congratulations!!! Will this be your first baby? My husband likes to tell me he was completely terrified of having a baby (well me having one) until she hit about 18 months. When she really started calling him Daddy, he was sunk!!

Anyway, I hope that things go smoothly for you and your wife! Take care!!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:22 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,654,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Awwww!! Congratulations!!! Will this be your first baby? My husband likes to tell me he was completely terrified of having a baby (well me having one) until she hit about 18 months. When she really started calling him Daddy, he was sunk!!

Anyway, I hope that things go smoothly for you and your wife! Take care!!
Thank you, this is #1. Luckily I have "baby skills" and I'm good with kids. I'm not scared about the kid itself, more about paying all the costs associated!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Thank you, this is #1. Luckily I have "baby skills" and I'm good with kids. I'm not scared about the kid itself, more about paying all the costs associated!
Hehe...its not THAT bad . Congratulations again and keep us posted!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas