U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,808,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I think the people who move here and stay 5-10 years and complain about it are shmoes. But I also think the folks who think that any new person moving to Texas is bad and is ruining the state are also shmoes. PLenty of adopted Texans like my wife and I came here from California and love it. We do our best to make it a better community. And besides, with our baby due Saturday we will have a native Texan in the house so that has to count for something. I'm thinking of him/her as my Texas anchor baby .
Texas anchor baby, that's cute! Congratulations!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORSEGIRL View Post
Just to answer your queston. the reason us Californians are moving to Texas is because there are no Californians left here. those of you that got out 2 years ago are lucky. I am fearing I am stuck here now and so badly want to move out. Not to offend anyone, but Mexico moved into California to answer your queston. No one speaks english here anymore. The street signs and cities are now in spanish waving the Mexican flag. need I say more.
dont move to texas if you want to get away from that -- english is our second language too - and we have been totally taken over by our neighbor to the south!! you hardly hear english being spoken anymore.... they have taken over all the schools, grocery stores and almost everything else except the high end shopping areas....

Old 11-13-2007, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You know these questions crack me up. You would think by the out of state beliefs of so many that every single Texan went to church daily. Let me put it this way, as a good lil Baptist that goes to church regularly and has from the day I was born (grandfather was a Baptist preacher) I have ALWAYS been in the minority and I say that as ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Growing up in the schools hardly ANYONE went to church and if they did they sure did not talk about it one bit. On our block we were the only ones that went to church when I was a kid except for the one Catholic family who went on the holidays. In my 15 years of marriage having lived in 3 different homes on somewhat small circles (16-8 houses) VERY, VERY, VERY FEW go to church. On our first street only 2 other families went to church out of 16. The second house we were THE ONLY family that went to church out of 14 houses. Others would send their kids to the area churches camps and VBS but that was it. Oh, and we were and still are VERY GOOD friends w/ most all of those neighbors. On our current street of all of 8 houses only two of us go to church regularly (weekly) and one Catholic neighbor goes less often. I see people mowing their lawns on Easter Sunday around here. So get over the crap that everyone here goes to church and they are going to brow beat you into going w/ 500lb Bibles. It just don't happen. Sure you will find the occassional pious gas bag (yes, we make fun of them too ) but those are few and far between.

What has changed over the years as I've noticed it with my kids at school is the fact they are more OPEN about going to church. I'm glad as when I was a kid growing up you did not dare mention you went to church or else you were made fun of big time. I'm glad my kids can openly admit they go to church and don't feel like it is something they have to hide.

Yes, the question of "where do you go to church" will come up but it is more to find a common ground with you. I know I've asked the question a million times just in a regular conversation w/ someone that I don't know that well just to make talk to get to know them. Many times if they do go to church they may attend one that I know someone else that goes there. Once I ask if they know this person(s) we have a connection. It is no different than asking where one went to college, they live, work, etc. Oh, last year I had taken one of the kids to a birthday party and started talking to another mom that I did not know. She kept saying I looked familiar but could not pinpoint where. I asked in this way, "x school? x neighborhood? church?". The response I got just when I said the word "church" totally took me back. Here I was just saying words like school and church and she about yelled in my face "NO!!!!". Okay. So you don't go to church but that was no big deal to me but you sure did not have to react THAT way just hearing the word "church". THAT is the attitude one needs to avoid. I read this on another thread and it is something like this. If YOU want to be accepted for not going to church then you also must accept those around you that do go to church. Being intolerant of those that choose to go to church is showing that people that are supposedly "liberal" are actually very close-minded and not accepting of others that believe differently than themselves.

Don't take all of this the wrong way as I'm just trying to point out that these misconceptions that continue to get spread or just such - misconceptions.
well, just dont try and put your kids into private school unless you also belong to the church.... it will not work too well. And you really better check out the public school system in Dallas -- we had nothing but problems with public schools trying to get our kids through - if I had to do it over, Id put my kids in Catholic school and start going back to church every Sunday... either that or move out of Dallas - its been 25 years of hell -- glad were retiring in a few years... I also think Dallas is boring, all the good arts and music are in Ft. Worth - the only things to do here are eat and shop - and be prepared for a totally different type of people that you have in California --

Old 11-14-2007, 09:53 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,808,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita-rose View Post

dont move to texas if you want to get away from that -- english is our second language too - and we have been totally taken over by our neighbor to the south!! you hardly hear english being spoken anymore.... they have taken over all the schools, grocery stores and almost everything else except the high end shopping areas....
This is not entirely true! That's a falsehood that you hardly hear English spoken anymore. Yes, there are alot of Hispanics here but it's not as bad as all that, imo. Maybe it's just where you live. Now in deep South Texas, that may be more true.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
whole lot of californians moving to texas.
i am seeing some anti californian sentiments on the posts by texans
this is probably because of some of the social behavior for which we have become infamous. i sympathize with the texans.
we need to treat each other better here dont we?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 9,820,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
whole lot of californians moving to texas.
i am seeing some anti californian sentiments on the posts by texans
this is probably because of some of the social behavior for which we have become infamous. i sympathize with the texans.
we need to treat each other better here dont we?
Okay... YOU can come!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 37,409 times
Texas is what you make of it, it's awesome if you want it to be

Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM

26 posts, read 58,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcueto View Post
We have just visited there in August and I know it was very hot but here in California, we live in the valley so it's like "our valley" weather too. Have you experienced a lot of tornados lately? I'm really excited of moving there but I am also anxious or nervous on what to expect or how we would adjust to the lifestyle there. Here in California, we don't go out often. Just trips to the malls on weekends and during the summer we try to go to the theme parks for the kids. But we are not really after the night life! We just want a quiet time for our family at the end of the day. Here it's like we are always stressed out because of the traffic and the pace of life so we just really want a kind of laid back life where we can enjoy our house & have quality time with the kids.

By the way, since my husband will be working in downtown Dallas, is Forney okay in terms of the travel time & distance to his work?
Tornadoes - I was born here, and have never experienced one. It's more lore than common occurrence. You do hear about them OK, Arkansas, LA.

Going out - We don't go out often either. Shopping is Dallas' unofficial sport. We do have White Rock Lake and a few other outdoorsy areas, but those are underutilized. Remember - Like LA, Dallas is ranked as a an elite member of top 10 fattest cities (but we are less fat than last year!):

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4523813&EDATE=

If you are not after nightlife, then you have come to a good place. This town has some, but it isn't to the levels you see in other big metro areas. I know, I know, Uptown and Addison are the big places to mix it up for some.
Seriously, people, those areas don't even compare to NYC/LA/SF/Miami.

This is a kid-centric town. There are lots of areas to take kids, just depends on what you want to impress upon them.

Forney to Dallas: I saw recently that a new HOV lane was put in at 30 around Mesquite. You should be good.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 PM

26 posts, read 58,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita-rose View Post
I also think Dallas is boring, all the good arts and music are in Ft. Worth - the only things to do here are eat and shop - and be prepared for a totally different type of people that you have in California --
Visitors and residents seem to agree with you:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/...-worth/visitor

Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,321,863 times
Travel and Leisure magazine? I doubt that much of the limited readership of the magazine has ever been to Dallas. I also doubt if their article has any scientific validity. Magazine surveys are worthless. It usually turns out that some staffer fabricates their material in order to increase sales in lagging markets. The next time they want to sell more magazines in Texas, then Dallas and Houston will magically become the new Xanadu.

Fort Worth has a quaint downtown with some restautants, and the Stockyards area is a good place for Country and Western music, but that's about it for places to go in Fort Worth for nightlife. It does have a limited population compared to Central Dallas, and is stuck on the western edge of the DFW area, far from the bulk of the potential audiences. The vast majority of traveling roadshows, live theater performances, nightclubs, moviehouses, both art and mainstream, concerts, restaurants, quaint walkable neighborhoods, etc., are in or within a few miles of Central Dallas... Exposition Park, Cedar Springs, Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, Fair Park, West Village, West End, the Cedars, Mockingbird Station, Knox-Henderson, Victory Park, Lower Greenville, Main Street... these are all entertainment areas within walking distance, accessible by rail transit or a cab ride from downtown Dallas.

I don't mean to dis Fort Worth... it has some nice places... but a few of their residents continually flog their inferiority complex vis-a-vis Dallas. It would be cruel to mislead the readers of this forum by exaggerating Fort Worth and its entertainment attractions. It does have a good zoo, though.

Considering the DFW area as a whole, it is a metro area with over 6 million people, the 4th largest in the United States. As you might logically expect, it generates much more leisure and entertainment options than smaller metros, due to the size of its customer base. Six million people support a lot more entertainment than 1 or 2 or 3 million

Last edited by aceplace; 12-19-2007 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or