Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you about the weather, it's just that I've known a couple of people who moved here who are very bothered by it and may not have moved if they had known. Also, we had a couple of tornadoes in Arlington earlier this year which came close to where my husband was working at the time and to where my daughter and her family lived and they heard the tornado sirens going off. My stepkids and my husband (when he was a child) were in one. I've never been in one personally although they've come close a time or two. But like the previous poster said, the odds are long but whenever they're talking about this kind of weather down here, take it seriously and stay indoors!
I give the same advice to all transplants from places that don't have (many) tornados...you need to have a plan if there's a tornado. You need to have at least a battery-operated radio; you can't depend on the electricity to stay on during a very violent thunderstorm, and you need flashlights and clean drinking water at the bare minimum. You need to identify a room or closet in your house as the spot to go to during a tornado, ideally putting as many internal walls between you and the outside of your house as possible. Have thick blankets/comforters ready to cover yourselves with, though a mattress is better. This is to shield you from flying debris. The whole opening windows thing is bunk; don't do that, just get somewhere safe. If there's a tornado warning in your county, for god's sake don't choose that time to get in the car and go shopping.

Schools run their own tornado drills; mine did, as frequently as they ran fire drills. Try not to worry about the kids when they're at school; schools are built really solidly anyway. My dad's a civil engineer and says schools are some of the most solid buildings he deals with. Certainly much safer than houses in a tornado.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
HEY! I'm a Dallas native too, born at Baylor Hospital. Dammit!
Born at Baylor too and still live five minutes away....

Old 09-26-2007, 03:56 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I'm from the tail end of the nuclear bomb 'duck and cover' drills. We used to have a really scary sounding alarm for that one. Then they made all the parents fill out a 'Plan of Action' form as to whether the child should stay at school, would be picked up by someone or should walk/ride bike home.

I guess I saw too many films with the people being vaporized and only leaving a cinder shadow...I was to stay at school. That place was built like a fortress.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
Last year I stopped off on my home from work to buy wine in Fort Worth, as there are no liquor stores in Arlington or Grand Prairie, and it had just quit raining buckets, or coming a gully washer as some of us say! As I was making my purchase some of the employees were joking and laughing with the young checker. She said she was terrified of the thunder, lightening and rain that poured so hard you couldn't see and she ducked for cover under the checkout counter! She laughed about it and said she never saw weather like that in California!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:51 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Last year I stopped off on my home from work to buy wine in Fort Worth, as there are no liquor stores in Arlington or Grand Prairie, and it had just quit raining buckets, or coming a gully washer as some of us say! As I was making my purchase some of the employees were joking and laughing with the young checker. She said she was terrified of the thunder, lightening and rain that poured so hard you couldn't see and she ducked for cover under the checkout counter! She laughed about it and said she never saw weather like that in California!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no way!

When I was still in the UK, a "severe" thunderstorm passed through town. By "severe" I mean it rained hard for about ten minutes, and we heard maybe 5 or 6 rumbles of thunder. My British colleagues were desperate for me to reassure them that we would not, in fact, be flattened by a tornado.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM

41 posts, read 154,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
All the Californians in California have moved here to D/FW! Please turn out the lights on the way out!
Just to answer your queston. the reason us Californians are moving to Texas is because there are no Californians left here. those of you that got out 2 years ago are lucky. I am fearing I am stuck here now and so badly want to move out. Not to offend anyone, but Mexico moved into California to answer your queston. No one speaks english here anymore. The street signs and cities are now in spanish waving the Mexican flag. need I say more.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORSEGIRL View Post
Just to answer your queston. the reason us Californians are moving to Texas is because there are no Californians left here. those of you that got out 2 years ago are lucky. I am fearing I am stuck here now and so badly want to move out. Not to offend anyone, but Mexico moved into California to answer your queston. No one speaks english here anymore. The street signs and cities are now in spanish waving the Mexican flag. need I say more.
Isn't there some way you can move here? Maybe save up some money so you can live and search for a job while you're here? There's plenty of job opportunities, too.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:54 PM

thanks,
If I didn't have so much money tied up in real estate here I would just leave.We are trying to sell everything, so we can leave. I Spend time in Texas and have loved it and the people too. Just want a safe, relaxed way of living to raise my daughter. How strong is the econmey there? California is so weak. I feel so bad for alot of our friends are losing jobs and their homes here in California. cant even turn on the new anymore, without hearing something aweful happened.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:12 PM

The economy is pretty strong. I work in the construction materials testing industry and construction is going crazy, commercial as well as residential, and has been for a few years.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 PM

thanks.
That is great to here. We own a Door business in California and out of the 17 years of being in buisness this is the worst we have ever seen it. Being that my husband knows alot about construction I am sure he wont have a problem getting a job. what do you know about the Rockwall area? thinking of flying down and checking it out. found a nice new house in Royce City, that I want to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas