U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2007, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Rowlett TX
113 posts, read 387,656 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannaclubhomes View Post
you can go anywhere within 2 hrs and have it all mtns, desert, beaches, city

go towards the mountains and find a quiet little town

there are lots of quiet little towns consider lake gregory or apple valley or oak glen

you will miss it and it hard to get back once you have left
I would have to say NOT to stay in CA, I sold my home in Montclair CA and was looking in apple valley ca since home are allot more afordable there BUT then I looked the big picture and saw homes in the $200s that were old and falling apart also the real state market there and it sucks, Homes prices are droping and will be at least for the next year. So i flew out here 3 diffrent times and looked into Houston but that was horrible there, drove to dallas and went to frisco loved that, waited about a year before my next trip home prices have climbed by then, came to Rowlett the next two trips and ended up in waterview neighborhood, waited for the right home and price and been here 4 months now and love it and was even able to pay off my mortgage with my equity from my last home a goal I wanted to reach before my 35th B-day

 
Old 10-03-2007, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Windermere, FL
269 posts, read 805,757 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannaclubhomes View Post
you can go anywhere within 2 hrs and have it all mtns, desert, beaches, city

go towards the mountains and find a quiet little town

there are lots of quiet little towns consider lake gregory or apple valley or oak glen

you will miss it and it hard to get back once you have left
Are you kidding me? And work where?? The commute would be horrible and you'd still be living in the freakin middle of nowhere. No thanks....

My wife and I are also exploring where to move...we're both sick of L.A.
 
Old 10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Fondren SW Yo
2,783 posts, read 6,003,136 times
Reputation: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
Are you kidding me? And work where?? The commute would be horrible and you'd still be living in the freakin middle of nowhere. No thanks....

My wife and I are also exploring where to move...we're both sick of L.A.

My wife and I moved to Dallas in August from West L.A. We miss our friends but not living in L.A. Apple Valley sucks and no way did we want to live anywhere near the Inland Empire. Dallas is a great town. The people are nice, there is plenty of big city stuff to do and the housing is cheap.
 
Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,528 posts, read 5,716,813 times
Reputation: 640
Dallas is suitable... I would personally find a suburb of Dallas, such as Irving or Richardson. There are some very diverse areas racially, only if you're in the right city, and even then some, you have to be in the right part of the city. If you really don't care what the racial makeup of the city is, i would actually move towards the outskirts of the actual metro, homes would probably be significantly cheaper there. Dallas does have a synagogue or two... Dallas has its ups a downs... hope you happy with your choice.
 
Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,319 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Hi All

Here's our story, let me know what you think. My wife and I are looking at moving out to Dallas this summer. I grew up in San Diego, she's from NYC. We're both 35 and have a baby due in October. We live in West Los Angeles, where 2 bedroom condos go for about $800k and proper houses are all above a million.

We want to own a home and have an affordable lifestyle. I love CA and to think of leaving hurts, but at this point in my life priorities have changed....I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to stay. We're orthodox Jewish and both politically and socially conservative, so the idea of a religious, family oriented town is appealing. I am a professional recruiter, and from my research on job boards and speaking to contacts there is a thriving job market in Dallas. My wife will be a stay at home mom. I love sports and football, so that will be a plus in Dallas. I could be a Cowboys fan if I tried!

I'm not crazy about real hot or real cold weather, but I prefer heat to snow. I will miss the beach terribly I know. Other than that it seems a no brainer. I've been out to Dallas on a pilot trip and my wife and I are going back. We would live in the north dallas area just south of 635 between preston and hillcrest, that seems like a nice area.

So, to you California ex-pats, what do you think? I'd love to hear the input of folks who have blazed a trail and left Southern California for Dallas. Thanks!
I think you will hate it! It's a nice place to visit, but . . . . You can find more affordable housing in So Cal (in new beautiful areas - I live just 45 minutes from downtown by car and can pick up the metrolink just 10 minutes from my house) and not have to give up the weather, all the stuff to do, the beach, the mountains etc. You are not use to the extremes of weather etc that you will find there. In the summer time (I go there at least once a year for work- yes I live in so cal and can afford to because I am an exec for MaryKay) it feels like you are walking into an oven!
The humidity is unbearable and unlike so. cal it doesn't cool off in the evening! My in laws just moved to the Dallas area and are trying to keep a positive attitude, they got there in May and it rained for 3 months straight. They are still having thunderstorms regularly and the rain doesn't cool the area off. Most important they are "bored"! So if you like big mosquitos and low wages go ahead and move there. Good luck.
 
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Windermere, FL
269 posts, read 805,757 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
My wife and I moved to Dallas in August from West L.A. We miss our friends but not living in L.A. Apple Valley sucks and no way did we want to live anywhere near the Inland Empire. Dallas is a great town. The people are nice, there is plenty of big city stuff to do and the housing is cheap.
Yeah we're planning on checking out Dallas sometime next year...my wife's family has been in L.A. for 6 generations so we have to move to another big city I don't think she could handle too much open space.
 
Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Allen, Texas
670 posts, read 2,725,637 times
Reputation: 202
To be fair the rain that Dallas had this year was HIGHLY unusual.

I dunno I don't miss the traffic, the high cost of living, the crowds, or the weather that much compared to SoCal. But I've also lived in actual humidity. I think it's funny people find Dallas "unbearably" humid, but then I've lived in New Orleans--why shower there
 
Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 3,173,008 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Dallas is suitable... I would personally find a suburb of Dallas, such as Irving or Richardson. There are some very diverse areas racially, only if you're in the right city, and even then some, you have to be in the right part of the city. If you really don't care what the racial makeup of the city is, i would actually move towards the outskirts of the actual metro, homes would probably be significantly cheaper there. Dallas does have a synagogue or two... Dallas has its ups a downs... hope you happy with your choice.
It has more than "a synagogue or two". Dallas has some of the larger reform congregations in the Sunbelt and there are some traditionally Jewish neighborhoods in Dallas that have been that way for decades. My parents live in one of them (they're not Jewish) and most of their neighbors are Orthodox. When I was growing up I was one of the only kids in my kindergarten class who was NOT Jewish. A synagogue or two.
 
Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1,297 posts, read 3,880,613 times
Reputation: 353
Rockwall is a great little town, I know some people there and they love it. Lake Ray Hubbard is right there by it, in fact one of my friends lives right up at the lake. Only problem is where you'll be working. Coming into Dallas from Rockwall you have to take I-30 over the lake and that can be a nightmare especially if there's an accident. That's not the best commute unless you leave the house real early.
 
Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1,297 posts, read 3,880,613 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by visco7 View Post
I think you will hate it! It's a nice place to visit, but . . . . You can find more affordable housing in So Cal (in new beautiful areas - I live just 45 minutes from downtown by car and can pick up the metrolink just 10 minutes from my house) and not have to give up the weather, all the stuff to do, the beach, the mountains etc. You are not use to the extremes of weather etc that you will find there. In the summer time (I go there at least once a year for work- yes I live in so cal and can afford to because I am an exec for MaryKay) it feels like you are walking into an oven!
The humidity is unbearable and unlike so. cal it doesn't cool off in the evening! My in laws just moved to the Dallas area and are trying to keep a positive attitude, they got there in May and it rained for 3 months straight. They are still having thunderstorms regularly and the rain doesn't cool the area off. Most important they are "bored"! So if you like big mosquitos and low wages go ahead and move there. Good luck.
I don't think rb4browns hates it - see his reply! He's already here and liking it! And what do you mean, "bored"? If your in-laws are bored in Dallas, they ain't trying, honey! Welcome, rb4browns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
My wife and I moved to Dallas in August from West L.A. We miss our friends but not living in L.A. Apple Valley sucks and no way did we want to live anywhere near the Inland Empire. Dallas is a great town. The people are nice, there is plenty of big city stuff to do and the housing is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top