U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2007, 11:28 AM
 
168 posts, read 448,344 times
Reputation: 101

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORSEGIRL View Post
Just to answer your queston. the reason us Californians are moving to Texas is because there are no Californians left here. those of you that got out 2 years ago are lucky. I am fearing I am stuck here now and so badly want to move out. Not to offend anyone, but Mexico moved into California to answer your queston. No one speaks english here anymore. The street signs and cities are now in spanish waving the Mexican flag. need I say more.
HA HA, and you are going to Dallas to get away from the immigrants. Sweetheart, you ain't been to Dallas very much, have you?

 
Old 10-04-2007, 11:51 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 36,528,354 times
Reputation: 6271
Quote:
Originally Posted by visco7 View Post
I think you will hate it! It's a nice place to visit, but . . . . You can find more affordable housing in So Cal (in new beautiful areas - I live just 45 minutes from downtown by car and can pick up the metrolink just 10 minutes from my house) and not have to give up the weather, all the stuff to do, the beach, the mountains etc. You are not use to the extremes of weather etc that you will find there. In the summer time (I go there at least once a year for work- yes I live in so cal and can afford to because I am an exec for MaryKay) it feels like you are walking into an oven!
The humidity is unbearable and unlike so. cal it doesn't cool off in the evening! My in laws just moved to the Dallas area and are trying to keep a positive attitude, they got there in May and it rained for 3 months straight. They are still having thunderstorms regularly and the rain doesn't cool the area off. Most important they are "bored"! So if you like big mosquitos and low wages go ahead and move there. Good luck.
SoCal more affordable, now that's a good one. Maybe it will be soon as the prices keep falling while Dallas prices are stable and my neighborhood near downtown has risen more than 10% in the last year (same for last 5-7 years).

My sister lives in SoCal and wants to move home. You can't do anything out there in SoCal because every road and freeway is a smoggy nightmare. So don't try to fool me. Talk about boring - you can't go anywhere in SoCal without getting a hotel room so you don't have to pull your hair out trying to get back in one day. I can choose a place to visit, then choose the appropriate airport in SoCal and fly there faster from DFW airport than a "Southlander" can drive there.


Where did your in-laws move? Out in the exurbs?
 
Old 10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 3,157,078 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
HA HA, and you are going to Dallas to get away from the immigrants. Sweetheart, you ain't been to Dallas very much, have you?
Yeah, no joke.
 
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 AM
 
80 posts, read 383,663 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
HA HA, and you are going to Dallas to get away from the immigrants. Sweetheart, you ain't been to Dallas very much, have you?
Well, they're everywhere now.. even up into Minnesota.

It's a good thing that I like tacos.. just hold the cilantro, please!
 
Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 AM
 
32 posts, read 131,912 times
Reputation: 15
from california to texas

you are deffinatly downgrading

okayy texas (dont hate on me i just want to get out of the south)

=[
 
Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
1,297 posts, read 3,874,618 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by pot_roast View Post
Well, they're everywhere now.. even up into Minnesota.

It's a good thing that I like tacos.. just hold the cilantro, please!
Mmmmm, cilantro is the best part, imo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephonee3 View Post
from california to texas

you are deffinatly downgrading

okayy texas (dont hate on me i just want to get out of the south)

=[
Okay, we won't hate on you but maybe you could find something positive here so you won't be totally miserable.
 
Old 10-05-2007, 02:14 PM
 
13 posts, read 80,036 times
Reputation: 13
Hi There,

I'm a SoCal too and I'm thinking about moving to the Plano/Frisco area. When you say the biggest problem for a Californian is usually political, how conservative is it out in the Dallas area? I was thinking with all the transplants, it wouldn't be the bible belt. Are most people out there like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh?! I wouldn't say I'm middle of the road, I'm defintely more leftward leaning, but, unlike the extremists on both sides who say stupid things like ALL Republican are evil and greedy, or that ALL Democrats are traitors, I'm smart enough to know that these people are just full of crap and they're just trying to make money off people's ignorance. Anyway, I've lived in OC which is a VERY conservative area, but, everybody here keeps their politics and religion to themselves and nobody ever tries to impose their beliefs on other people. Can I assume people in the Dallas area are about the same, or am I going to run into a Hannity/Limbaugh/Coulter clone everyday? If that's the case, then yea, I'll defintely have some problems!

Thanks,

Al
 
Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Allen, Texas
670 posts, read 2,721,306 times
Reputation: 202
Al I don't know if it is the transplants but for the most part we didn't find majorly conservative people here. My mom's husband is a Native Californian who REALLY loved his state. When he first moved to Louisiana he constantly complained about this, that and the other as far as politics to weather, he LOVES Frisco. I mean he REALLY loves Frisco to the point where I really don't want to hear it But we lived there for 10 years and are moving back after what we refer to as "our year in hell" because it is not NEARLY as conservative as Georgia. My husband is from New Orleans area and I was a military child so lived lots of places, but in Cali mostly Orange County which was considered conservative at the time--so maybe I'm used to it. My mom is a lifelong democrat, signs in the yard and car and NEVER has had a problem. Same with my aunt in Garland...no problems at all because of it.
 
Old 10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 3,157,078 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinSoCal View Post
Hi There,

I'm a SoCal too and I'm thinking about moving to the Plano/Frisco area. When you say the biggest problem for a Californian is usually political, how conservative is it out in the Dallas area? I was thinking with all the transplants, it wouldn't be the bible belt. Are most people out there like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh?! I wouldn't say I'm middle of the road, I'm defintely more leftward leaning, but, unlike the extremists on both sides who say stupid things like ALL Republican are evil and greedy, or that ALL Democrats are traitors, I'm smart enough to know that these people are just full of crap and they're just trying to make money off people's ignorance. Anyway, I've lived in OC which is a VERY conservative area, but, everybody here keeps their politics and religion to themselves and nobody ever tries to impose their beliefs on other people. Can I assume people in the Dallas area are about the same, or am I going to run into a Hannity/Limbaugh/Coulter clone everyday? If that's the case, then yea, I'll defintely have some problems!

Thanks,

Al
I'd say Dallas is probably less conservative than OC these days, but you're not going to Dallas...you're going to Frisco. The northern suburbs of Dallas are palpably more conservative than the city itself.
 
Old 10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
 
13 posts, read 80,036 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Al I don't know if it is the transplants but for the most part we didn't find majorly conservative people here. My mom's husband is a Native Californian who REALLY loved his state. When he first moved to Louisiana he constantly complained about this, that and the other as far as politics to weather, he LOVES Frisco. I mean he REALLY loves Frisco to the point where I really don't want to hear it But we lived there for 10 years and are moving back after what we refer to as "our year in hell" because it is not NEARLY as conservative as Georgia. My husband is from New Orleans area and I was a military child so lived lots of places, but in Cali mostly Orange County which was considered conservative at the time--so maybe I'm used to it. My mom is a lifelong democrat, signs in the yard and car and NEVER has had a problem. Same with my aunt in Garland...no problems at all because of it.
Thanks! Yea, like I said, as long as nobody tries to impose their political or religious beliefs on me, that's fine by me. I just don't want to be in a situation where the next door neighbors would be giving me attitude for not going to church, or for not having some sort of "W is my hero" type of bumper sticker on my car, you know, that sort of thing...I just saw that one comment from someone saying if you're from California, you'd have some issues with the politics, so that's what concerned me a bit, but from everything I hear, Dallas is a pretty cool area and it can't really be labeled as any "type" of a city as it's a mixture of a little bit of everything which actually sounds very appealing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top