U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,882,959 times

Advertisements

Well, don't get upset if someone asks what church you belong to. Texas is still in the Bible Belt. Just be friendly and you won't have a problem.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:15 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,314,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Well, don't get upset if someone asks what church you belong to. Texas is still in the Bible Belt. Just be friendly and you won't have a problem.
You know these questions crack me up. You would think by the out of state beliefs of so many that every single Texan went to church daily. Let me put it this way, as a good lil Baptist that goes to church regularly and has from the day I was born (grandfather was a Baptist preacher) I have ALWAYS been in the minority and I say that as ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Growing up in the schools hardly ANYONE went to church and if they did they sure did not talk about it one bit. On our block we were the only ones that went to church when I was a kid except for the one Catholic family who went on the holidays. In my 15 years of marriage having lived in 3 different homes on somewhat small circles (16-8 houses) VERY, VERY, VERY FEW go to church. On our first street only 2 other families went to church out of 16. The second house we were THE ONLY family that went to church out of 14 houses. Others would send their kids to the area churches camps and VBS but that was it. Oh, and we were and still are VERY GOOD friends w/ most all of those neighbors. On our current street of all of 8 houses only two of us go to church regularly (weekly) and one Catholic neighbor goes less often. I see people mowing their lawns on Easter Sunday around here. So get over the crap that everyone here goes to church and they are going to brow beat you into going w/ 500lb Bibles. It just don't happen. Sure you will find the occassional pious gas bag (yes, we make fun of them too ) but those are few and far between.

What has changed over the years as I've noticed it with my kids at school is the fact they are more OPEN about going to church. I'm glad as when I was a kid growing up you did not dare mention you went to church or else you were made fun of big time. I'm glad my kids can openly admit they go to church and don't feel like it is something they have to hide.

Yes, the question of "where do you go to church" will come up but it is more to find a common ground with you. I know I've asked the question a million times just in a regular conversation w/ someone that I don't know that well just to make talk to get to know them. Many times if they do go to church they may attend one that I know someone else that goes there. Once I ask if they know this person(s) we have a connection. It is no different than asking where one went to college, they live, work, etc. Oh, last year I had taken one of the kids to a birthday party and started talking to another mom that I did not know. She kept saying I looked familiar but could not pinpoint where. I asked in this way, "x school? x neighborhood? church?". The response I got just when I said the word "church" totally took me back. Here I was just saying words like school and church and she about yelled in my face "NO!!!!". Okay. So you don't go to church but that was no big deal to me but you sure did not have to react THAT way just hearing the word "church". THAT is the attitude one needs to avoid. I read this on another thread and it is something like this. If YOU want to be accepted for not going to church then you also must accept those around you that do go to church. Being intolerant of those that choose to go to church is showing that people that are supposedly "liberal" are actually very close-minded and not accepting of others that believe differently than themselves.

Don't take all of this the wrong way as I'm just trying to point out that these misconceptions that continue to get spread or just such - misconceptions.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:04 AM

415 posts, read 1,554,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If YOU want to be accepted for not going to church then you also must accept those around you that do go to church.
Beautiful point.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:32 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,178,225 times
Quote:
If YOU want to be accepted for not going to church then you also must accept those around you that do go to church. Being intolerant of those that choose to go to church is showing that people that are supposedly "liberal" are actually very close-minded and not accepting of others that believe differently than themselves.
Bingo. I'm agnostic and I don't go to church, but I don't get offended if people ask me about religion...which they rarely do. Why would I get offended?

Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 PM

58 posts, read 206,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinSoCal View Post
Thanks! Yea, like I said, as long as nobody tries to impose their political or religious beliefs on me, that's fine by me. I just don't want to be in a situation where the next door neighbors would be giving me attitude for not going to church, or for not having some sort of "W is my hero" type of bumper sticker on my car, you know, that sort of thing...I just saw that one comment from someone saying if you're from California, you'd have some issues with the politics, so that's what concerned me a bit, but from everything I hear, Dallas is a pretty cool area and it can't really be labeled as any "type" of a city as it's a mixture of a little bit of everything which actually sounds very appealing to me.
It would probably depend on where you live, but in the more "sought-after" neighborhoods here, you will find that most well-educated folks keep their religion and their politics to themselves. The only exception I have found, as a Catholic, is that there is still a fair amount of Catholic bashing that goes on that, for some reason or another, is still socially acceptable. It came as quite a surprise to me when I moved here 13 years ago. I hadn't heard anything on the topic in a number of years until recently, when some "ladies" from my neighborhood starting talking about the dreaded "Catholics" in their neighborhood.... I didn't say a word, but it feels like a pretty big slap in the face. Other than that, I can say honestly that most people are pretty accepting of races, shapes and colors within the Dallas area. If you are interested in living in an Orthodox area, there is a nice neighborhood in N. Dallas where you will find a substantial Jewish population and many synogogues. Otherwise, I think you'll be happy with the low cost of living and the fairly easy lifestyle you'll find in Dallas. One extreme you might find hard to take is the unbearable, incessant heat of summertime. We do have pretty torturous summers here that last from May- September. Other than that, weather is pretty good.
Hope that helps you make your decision!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:33 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,007,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visco7 View Post
I think you will hate it! It's a nice place to visit, but . . . . You can find more affordable housing in So Cal (in new beautiful areas - I live just 45 minutes from downtown by car and can pick up the metrolink just 10 minutes from my house) and not have to give up the weather, all the stuff to do, the beach, the mountains etc. You are not use to the extremes of weather etc that you will find there. In the summer time (I go there at least once a year for work- yes I live in so cal and can afford to because I am an exec for MaryKay) it feels like you are walking into an oven!
The humidity is unbearable and unlike so. cal it doesn't cool off in the evening! My in laws just moved to the Dallas area and are trying to keep a positive attitude, they got there in May and it rained for 3 months straight. They are still having thunderstorms regularly and the rain doesn't cool the area off. Most important they are "bored"! So if you like big mosquitos and low wages go ahead and move there. Good luck.
So far after living here for 7 weeks my wife and I really like Dallas. The humidity is not that bad and the warm evenings are wonderful. Winter of 2004/05 it rained for 3 straight months in L.A. so I can handle that. Besides, where do you live in SoCal that is on the Metrolink line, affordable and a 45 minute drive to Downtown? Riverside and San Bernardino counties are crystal meth/gang infested armpits, and it gets in the the 100's out there too. Not to mention the brown air.....

Here in Dallas we live in a lovely neighborhood in N. Dallas where I am renting a 3br condo with washer and dryer for $900 a month.

We aren't bored at all here. We've been to some interesting museums, the Katy Trail is very nice and besides we're not club/bar going types.

And as a recruiter, my income is primarily commission based. I can make as much here as I did in L.A.

So do I miss the California? Sure I do, I grew up there. But we like Dallas and have no plans to leave.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I don't think rb4browns hates it - see his reply! He's already here and liking it! And what do you mean, "bored"? If your in-laws are bored in Dallas, they ain't trying, honey! Welcome, rb4browns!
Yup, we are very happy we chose to come here.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 PM

9 posts, read 25,104 times
"so the idea of a religious, family oriented town is appealing".

What makes you think Dallas fits your conservative image of this city?

Old 10-08-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don2007 View Post
"so the idea of a religious, family oriented town is appealing".

What makes you think Dallas fits your conservative image of this city?
What makes you think it doesn't? As you point out, it's simply my conservative opinion!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 PM

80 posts, read 384,371 times
Quote:
e they are going to brow beat you into going w/ 500lb Bibles. It just don't happen.
And if they try, you can shoot at them in self defense. :P

The more sane firearms laws are yet another reason that I want to move out that way. The Brady Campaign and the hypocritical actions of our Bay Area Democrats has made being a gun owner in California very difficult.

Heck, there was some other thread asking if there was anti-mexican prejudice in Dallas. While I can't speak for the DFW area yet, i can tell you that you are more warmly welcomed as a "jump over the border join La Raza/fly the Mexican flag/say how we're gonna vote tomorrow/sing songs about taking over Aztlan/etc" illegal immigrant than you are as a gun owner.

Too many soccer moms that think because you own a 22 caliber rifle you're 10 minutes away from climbing the nearest bell tower and picking off babies.

I thought that I had a point but i guess that I really just wanted to say that I can't wait to get the heck out of California. :-)
Oh, and we have some hardcore bible thumpers around here too. I have come home at least 5 times in the past few months and found that some church had stuck notes/etc on my door. I REALLY HATE THAT because when I'm out of town it just advertises "nobody has been here in 3 days." I called one of them to say "Hey, please don't do that, mmkay?" and whoever answered the phone basically told me to sod off because they were going to do whatever it took to spread the word of Teh Lord... even if it meant spamming my front door.

Yeah. So, be accepting of those that go to church and those that don't. just because you don't go to church means that you sit around with Satan and mulch puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or