Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Here's our story, let me know what you think. My wife and I are looking at moving out to Dallas this summer. I grew up in San Diego, she's from NYC. We're both 35 and have a baby due in October. We live in West Los Angeles, where 2 bedroom condos go for about $800k and proper houses are all above a million.

We want to own a home and have an affordable lifestyle. I love CA and to think of leaving hurts, but at this point in my life priorities have changed....I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to stay. We're orthodox Jewish and both politically and socially conservative, so the idea of a religious, family oriented town is appealing. I am a professional recruiter, and from my research on job boards and speaking to contacts there is a thriving job market in Dallas. My wife will be a stay at home mom. I love sports and football, so that will be a plus in Dallas. I could be a Cowboys fan if I tried!

I'm not crazy about real hot or real cold weather, but I prefer heat to snow. I will miss the beach terribly I know. Other than that it seems a no brainer. I've been out to Dallas on a pilot trip and my wife and I are going back. We would live in the north dallas area just south of 635 between preston and hillcrest, that seems like a nice area.

So, to you California ex-pats, what do you think? I'd love to hear the input of folks who have blazed a trail and left Southern California for Dallas. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:18 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
Well I left SoCal (Orange County although my dad lived in San Diego County/El Cajon) in 1994. I left for many of the same reasons you did, although I moved where my mom's family was in Louisiana. In 1997 we moved to DFW and I LOVED IT. I liked being able to afford a relatively large home, go on vacations (mini ones several times throughout the year) and knowing I can retire before I die. Unfortunately my husband decided he missed the south and we moved to Georgia--we are moving back for a large variety of reasons. Also having no state taxes is a plus. People gripe about the high property taxes, but comparatively speaking as far as what you get for a house AND coupled with no state tax for us it is a win-win.

Anyway the things I didn't "love" about Dallas was that it is really hot or really cold when I lived there (1997 to 2006) with about 60 days of freaking awesome weather in between. I find it humid, but my husband (Louisiana native) finds it dry...so YMMV. I also don't like the assumptions people make that I listen to Country music, drive a pink Cadillac, and sell Mary Kay--but people make assumptions based on my voice that I surf and eat tofu only. My husband says commutes are awful, but he has only lived in Louisiana (and never worked in big city there--the biggest he worked in was Baton Rouge he's never worked in downtown New Orleans where I worked) and never worked in SoCal so he has NO IDEA what traffic is IMO or distance (at one point I lived in Temecula and drove to Huntington Beach for work just to be able to afford a house--which I sold after a few months due to the commute).

The only cavaet I have is once you move, it is harder to move back financially for most people and you'll have sticker shock again.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
The trail from California to Texas has been blazed so many times it's paved and landscaped.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 PM

147 posts, read 240,976 times
Default There can't be any Californians left in California!

All the Californians in California have moved here to D/FW! Please turn out the lights on the way out!

Old 06-14-2007, 05:52 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The trail from California to Texas has been blazed so many times it's paved and landscaped.

We need to put this one on the front of a t-shirt.

On the back, put the "Not a native texan, but I got here as fast as I could"

Old 06-14-2007, 06:04 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
>> "Not a native texan, but I got here as fast as I could"<<

My mom has that bumper sticker. Not coming from CA tho, she came from ND and welcomes the heat and humidity!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
There can't be any Californians left in California!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the Californians in California have moved here to D/FW! Please turn out the lights on the way out!
People are funny, they get upset and anxious that *other* people might take what's *theirs*. Californians do the same thing. Sorry Native Dallas Person, but we're coming like it or not. Might as well extend a hand and help us acclimate and become a part of what you guys have out there. You just can't stop the mongol hordes of Californians coming for your cheap housing

Old 06-14-2007, 07:29 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
People are funny, they get upset and anxious that *other* people might take what's *theirs*. Californians do the same thing. Sorry Native Dallas Person, but we're coming like it or not. Might as well extend a hand and help us acclimate and become a part of what you guys have out there. You just can't stop the mongol hordes of Californians coming for your cheap housing
LOL I think he's joshing you. I had a great reception and I don't remember anyone being upset that I moved to the state---Georgia OTOH I felt like I invaded territory.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:47 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Default Welcome!

I'm from San Diego too. My biggest adjustment besides the obvious (beach) was that Baja-style Mexican food doesn't exist here. But I really like Mexican food, you might be more normal.

From your attitude, I think you will fit right in and love it here.

You're smart to start with become a Cowboy fan not a Ranger fan.
Watch the Mavericks too.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 AM

55 posts, read 156,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I must be feeling emotional about this topic because after I read your comment I am laughing and crying. It's so so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas