U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,597,380 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I plan on graduating with a bachelors in IT/Networking this comming December. I currently live in rural Arkansas and do not want to remain here and am considering the Dallas area.

Question is, how is the IT job market in the area? How easy will it be to find employment given my situation? I have taken into consideration that I will likely start at a lower position and work my way up due to my lack of experience and certifications (i live in a rural area, not much opportunity for internships, etc). Also, what is a good starting salary I should look for in the area?

Also, is life in Dallas really as bad as suggested in some of these threads? Does this forum just have a few trolls? I feel rural Arkansas is holding me back and that I will never be what I want to be here and am wanting a complete change. Ive been around Houston and am more familiar with that area but I am not so much with the Dallas area.

Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 AM

2,231 posts, read 5,320,367 times
Yes, come to the big city to seek your fortune.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:01 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,606,148 times
Dallas has a good IT industry. Several of us work in IT. In particular, I'm in networking. Been doing it for 12-13 years (geesh, I lost count). Of course, when I went to school they didn't have network degrees. That's awesome that they have specialties like that. Did you focus on security? That's an area that is white-hot right now.

Is Dallas bad as some suggest? Nope, as is typical with the Internet... we have our trolls.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:57 PM

108 posts, read 493,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Dallas has a good IT industry. Several of us work in IT. In particular, I'm in networking. Been doing it for 12-13 years (geesh, I lost count). Of course, when I went to school they didn't have network degrees. That's awesome that they have specialties like that. Did you focus on security? That's an area that is white-hot right now.

Is Dallas bad as some suggest? Nope, as is typical with the Internet... we have our trolls.
Ditto, I came here 6 years ago and work in IT. Without question the best move I've ever made. Ignore the trolls, move to Dallas and prepare to live the good life.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:06 PM

670 posts, read 2,673,709 times
Default We came in 1997

And DH is in IT, left last year, but are coming back. There have been layoffs off and on since we've been here, but so far everyone we know that had been laid off got a better job in the DFW area (except for one that wanted to move back to Chicago or Detroit--sorry I can't remember where the guy was from).

Old 06-16-2007, 12:04 PM

25 posts, read 78,004 times
Default not a problem

Why don't you try applying for IT jobs with the government. Go to usajobs.gov/

Old 06-17-2007, 11:53 PM

34 posts, read 142,527 times
40 out of 100 top companies are in Irving TX alone... Dallas is the silicon valley of SouthWest

Old 08-11-2007, 09:55 PM

Excuse me for resurrecting this thread, but I have a few more questions.

So I'm graduating in December. When would be a good time to start submitting my resume?

How difficult will finding IT employment be since I have NOT had an internship during college? Anybody have suggestions as to what would be good place to start for somebody without experience, i.e. Desktop Support, Help Desk, etc?

Old 08-11-2007, 10:17 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,606,148 times
Many companies do internships. I know my company does, although only in the Sunnyvale, CA office.

What's your goal in the IT field? Are you wanting to be a server admin type, network person, programmer? Each niche would have a different path.

If you want to do network and/or server work - I would definitely go after any sort of helpdesk or desktop support. My progression was this:

- Best Buy tech bench during college before "officially" working in the field
- Helpdesk for a short stay, wasn't my calling, so I studied for and got Novell certification (showing my age, huh?)
- Entry level administration + PC support
- Moved into Novell Server Administration full time
- Got put on a "network upgrade team" to assist in network, but primary job was still Novell
- Took a job doing network full time
- Network is where I've been for 10 or so years

I love network, but I do have to say that my time in server administration has definitely helped deepen my troubleshooting skills. Troubleshooting is a critical skill that is sorely lacking in many folks in our field. If you have good logic/reasoning skills, I have no doubt you'll be a quick study and progress through stuff quicker than most and find your calling.

For what it's worth, one area I'm adding to my skills is the Linux/Unix world - scripting and administration skills are definitely a plus that will help me continue to be more efficient and continue to round out my skill set. Be prepared to ALWAYS be on the look out for adding to your skills. The day someone gets comfortable in their job in today's IT world, they put their profession at risk. This field demands that we always learn.

Brian

Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Thanks for responding to my post newbie. I specialize on the networking side and am NOT a programmer. I would love to be a network administrator one day. I have been working (suffering) as a technology sales clerk at Office Depot the past 4 years during college. This is the closest thing I could get to a tech-related job in this little town in rural Arkansas.

I think I would be most comfortable starting with entry-level PC administration/support as you did. Will I have a good chance at scoring one of those jobs even though I have no previous IT experience?

Also, when should I start sending out my resume? Does the fact I currently live out of state going to hurt my chances?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or