Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 05:48 AM

6 posts, read 15,132 times

Advertisements

After a few yesrs of being away from north Texas, my family will be moving to Plano/Allen/McKinney area. I have looked at several private schools and wanted to ask for opinions. I am interested in opinions of McKinney Christian, Lucas Christian Academy, and Coram Deo Academy-Collin County. I have a fairly good idea of what they offer but I want to hear from someone who has actually attended or is knowledgeable of their friends' and family's opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,542 times
go to great schools .com...they have parent reviews of all school...good luck...

Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
I wouldn't recommend any of those schools unless you're either looking for a very small learning environment or a ultra-evangelical Christian environment. They don't have great reputations.

If you're looking for a top private school, you'd want to look at the schools in North Dallas like St. Mark's, Jesuit, Greenhill, Hockaday, and Ursuline. None of them are evangelical, but Jesuit and Ursuline are strong options with Christian environments.

Alternately, you can look at the public schools in the area. They're very large (McKinney and Frisco ISD schools are around 1800 students each; Allen and Plano are 4000+), but strong academically and in extracurriculars, much more so than the private schools you mentioned.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
I have some friends who have their children in Lucas Christian Academy, and they all seem very pleased with the school, as do the kids themselves. All the kids I know that go there are also VERY good kids. Don't know if the school has anything to do with that, but that is what I have noticed.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 17,483 times
I notice this thread is a bit dated, but I would like to get any recent reviews or comments on MCA, LCA, and/or Coram Deo. We are looking at all three of these as options for our son entering 7th grade this coming fall. We have visited both McKinney Christian and Lucas Christian, but I also like to get feedback from those at the school or those who know of families at the schools.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 AM

372 posts, read 710,551 times
We've looked at all those schools and we ended up doing an online charter school for our oldest. Coram Deo was the most professional and academics we liked best but the 3 days on and 2 days off was not for us. Have you looked at Prestonwood?

Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 PM

25 posts, read 48,092 times
Prince of Peace Catholic School

Private School Plano TX | Christian Academy Dallas TX | Christian School Carrollton TX | Christian Academies Allen TX | Private Christian Schools North Dallas TX | Christian Schools Lewisville TX | Private Schools Frisco TX

Carrollton Christian Academy / Home

Trinity Christian Academy ~ Homepage

Parish Episcopal: Home

https://www.ursulinedallas.org

Episcopal School of Dallas

St. Mark's School of Texas ~ Homepage

These are good religious/academic combinations. I would recommend live in far west area of Plano or PISD area of North Dallas so you have a short commute to these schools and liberty to switch to good public schools if you want/need to do so.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 AM

7 posts, read 17,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Life View Post
We've looked at all those schools and we ended up doing an online charter school for our oldest. Coram Deo was the most professional and academics we liked best but the 3 days on and 2 days off was not for us. Have you looked at Prestonwood?

I wanted to follow up and find out how the online charter school worked. We have considered such a program as well that is offered through our current district. It is actually done through Connections Academy, I believe. How old is your child going through the online program. Our son will be entering 7th grade and we would definitely plug him into several activities to provide the social aspect. That's his biggest concern with any home based program.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 PM

372 posts, read 710,551 times
Hi thanks for writing back. I did write privately and decided to find the thread just to jog my memory. I am still tickled about it all. My oldest attended Connections Academy for 4 years and it worked beautifully for her. She graduated this past Sunday. It is not a slacker school, if anything, they helped my daughter be able to develop great study habits and a huge love for learning. She loved all her teachers, counselors and principal. If you read any of my recent threads, I was busy asking about cakes, it was for her graduation party at her grandmother's house. If your son doesn't like it, he can always transfer to another school. It was the best decision for our oldest. She worked hard and earned a spot at Texas Tech. We have no regrets and for our daughter, she never felt isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas