Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 05:26 AM

115 posts, read 248,363 times

Advertisements

I will be coming to Dallas to interview at Baylor Garland for a Nursing position in there Emergency Department. Does anyone work there? If so what is the work atmosphere like? What type of patient population do you serve? Exactly, how much trauma will I see? If you have been a patient in the ER, how did you like it and what was your perception as a patient in the ER? How is the commute from Cedar Hill to Baylor Garland?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrn2004 View Post
How is the commute from Cedar Hill to Baylor Garland?
Bad! 46 miles across town right through downtown Dallas - makes no sense to give yourself such a commute.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
Baylor ER, has had a major renovation. My mother has been there several times due to her conditions. I am very please with the renovations and staff changes. My father sees doctors on a off site area by the hospital and I have had one surgery there as well. It's one of the smallest Baylor's in North Texas. Like any hospital you have a lot of minorities you deal with. As for trauma, I could not answer that for you. I know that Parkland and Downtown Baylor-Dallas see a lot more trauma then one would like. I also would not recommend Cedar Hill to Garland commute. If your going to work in Garland, I would stick to Garland or surrounding areas. That would be a horrible drive.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Why are you going to be living in Cedar Hill and working at Baylor Garland? YIKES! As others have said, I would NOT do the commute. Live in Garland and you will be around a ton of people you work with. I have a neighbor that works there. Several friends are doctors in the area and practice out of Baylor Garland, one is a surgeon there. They have all been there for many years and seem to love it. One good friend recently retired from being a nurse at Baylor Garland. She loved it.

Any major trauma in the entire Dallas region and most of them are sent straight to Parkland as it has a trauma unit. One of the tops in the nation. I don't care for Parkland but I've said it a million times....... if I'm in serious trauma or burned I want to be taken there. You won't see as much at the suburban hospitals.

Yes, Baylor Garland has had a major renovation. They have added several new buildings as well. I have not been in the ER there but have been there for other testings and everyone I encountered was rather pleasant to deal with .

Old 05-21-2010, 03:50 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
I love Baylor Garland. Until the Richardson Regional opened up the ER nearer to me, I'd have driven to Baylor Garland for an emergency.

The hospital has a great relationship with the community. It's a homegrown hospital that was created by the community leaders and was eventually acquired by the Baylor System. So the relationship with the community is still very strong.

The area itself is lower income, but due to it's location and the dearth of ERs and hospitals in the Garland, Richardson east of 75 it draws from a larger more diverse footprint.

I was totally thinking "oh you should totally do this!" until I got to the Cedar Hill commute. Yikes! That's a drive.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:25 PM

115 posts, read 248,363 times
Per mapquest the drive time will be around 45 minutes which is not bad to me, given a 45 minute commute may not be the same as a 45 minute commute in MI. Im interviewing for a day shift position 7a-7p at this specific location. Im 90% sure I will settle in Cedar Hill because based off of my research its the area that has caught and kepot my attention. I will be checking the area out more in depth in a few weeks. I do appreciate every ones comments , please keep them coming.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
If you have no other reason to pick Cedar Hill to live as in you don't have family there or your spouses job is right there................... MOVE TO GARLAND OR RICHARDSON and save the wear and tear on your car and the time spent commuting. You are already going to be working 12 hour days......... no need to add in another 2 hours per day EASY (or more) just for driving to and from. If you are wanting a diverse area you will find it in Garland and Richardson. Why do it? It is just not worth it especially if you have kids and a family. If you get the job at Baylor Garland you will find that the vast majority of the people that work there live in Garland and some in Richardson and a few over towards Rowlett and Rockwall. You are not going to find many people at all working there that live more than 20 minutes away.

If you get the job then I'd suggest renting an apartment in Garland or Richardson and THEN taking the time to explore the area more and see if a drive out to Cedar Hill is really worth it. You can visit Cedar Hill on your days off and even make the drive after work to see how bad the traffic is. Sign a short term lease closer to work till you get a good feel for the area.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:48 AM

333 posts, read 1,021,883 times
Whatever Mapquest said, add at least 30 minutes on to that due to traffic issues. I would not commute to Garland if I accepted a job there. There are plenty of nice places to live around Garland, Richardson, or Plano.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:58 AM

12 posts, read 62,088 times
Rowlett is a nice community next to Garland and Rockwall (which is a bit upper class) as well. Don't commute from Cedar hill if you don't have to! Sure there are places in Garland you don't want to live but you will HATE that commute. Choose Rowlett, Rockwall, Plano, Richardson, Addison or even the nice areas in North Garland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas