Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM

298 posts, read 565,312 times

Advertisements

I posted this in Fort Worth thread also...
Just finished the Hurst School district Webinar information session, and it was pretty grim. Only 10% of applicants who applied are hired. My husband has accepted a job in Hurst, (pending clearance) and we are probably moving to the area soon. (He has been unemployed for a year, so we are moving regardless of whether or not I can find a teaching job).
I just finished my MsEd Secondary English and License in Spec Ed-Mild Disabilities. I have knowledge and experience with teaching Orton-Gillingham and am particularly interested in dyslexia/reading difficulties.
Any tips on which districts I might have better luck applying in? My certification is from Virginia, and I know I have to apply for Texas reciprocity. I'm a little worried that I just got my Masters and am ready to teach spec ed and now am moving to an area where I won't be able to find a job! I want to teach special ed, that is my interest, and I hope I can find a position!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
If you can't get into a public school there are quite a few private schools for learning disabled kids you might consider - The Shelton School, Fairhill Academy, Oak Hill, Hillier, Dallas Academy, Preston Hollow Presbyterian, Great Lakes Academy and others.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
being in Hurst area there are many districts that are within driving distance--I taught with someone who lived in Dallas close to Highland Park and taught at Trinity in HEB ISD for more than 15 years, making that drive daily--

check out the TEA web site for region 10 and region 11--the FTW and Dallas zones--
they list each ISD withing that zone and there is an employment link where schools can post their vacancies...
this time of the year is when postings go up but frankly districts are waffling on what they are going to do about budget shortfalls...most districts in the north TX area are seeing falling tax revenues and tight (very tight) budgets--some districts are MILLIONS of dollars behind what they really need...
in TX it is against the law for a district to run a negative budget so they have to get the money from somewhere--their reserves, robbing Peter to pay Paul--new taxes are not usually an option because bond money can only be used for CAPITAL expenditures--that means building new/physical option...NOT salaries, health care costs, retirement contributions, electric/transportation costs--which are the major expenses of running a district

job link region 10
https://www.teacherjobnet.org/

main region 10
R10 Home Page

main region 11==FTW
Education Service Center Region XI (http://www.esc11.net/escrxi/site/default.asp - broken link)

job link
https://www.searchsoft.net/ats/app_l...NY_ID=00012139

frankly I would not stop with any interview done on-line---
send your resume/cover letter to any principal at school that has a posting (some don't list the school where the vacancy is) or a school that you think MIGHT be an option

Principals in this area have most power when it comes to hiring but not all schools have an individual special ed/dyslexia teacher--sometimes they travel from school to school depending on the # of students involved...
that would be the main roadblock in your case I think...

Most districts in the NE Tarrant area are considered VERY desireable--they have a stable teacher population, pay well, don't have lot of turnover--especially now that alt-cert people are being allowed to get special ed posts...
and it is a very competitive market--many people are delaying retirement becuase of the economic situation, some people have returned to work because their spouses have had layoff or other problems--just lot of people in the mix
and of course it goes w/o saying that people with a personal connection are usually at the front of the hiring line for interviews...

run a search on the Dallas and FTW boards for teaching jobs and you will get other info and maybe some helpful insights...
you are not the only person who has come in from out of state wanting a teaching job...

one other factor to consider in your job hunt--my experience as teacher and mom to two teachers is that going into the private sector in charter/private schools has significant effect on your ability to be hired in public schools...
some principals just won't do it...hire someone as public ISD teacher who has been teaching in private schools, i.e. daycare classes for younger/pre-K or Kindergarten classes, teaching in charter schools or private schools (church sponsored or not)...

and I guess you know the differences between a charter/magnet/private school???

Last edited by loves2read; 05-25-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas