Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:10 AM

21 posts, read 34,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Wow lots of pointless arguing here. The fact is the southern burbs just aren't as nice as the north. What ever the reason it doesn't matter. You can argue until your face turns blue it wont change anything.
DaveG99, i am really tired of the ( bs) that keeps coming from your mouth! Since when do you get to speak for every resident located north of dallas? And for you to say that the northern sector is nicer than the south is an opinion, not a fact. There are northern residents who wouldnt mind living south, just like southern residents who wouldnt mind living north.( everyone has a preference as to where they rather live ) . The northern sector has gorgeous neighborhoods , same as the south. There are places located north that are not as attractive, just like the south.If you were to do a door to door citywide survey from northern residents , and get their thoughts on the southern sector, you would come out pleasantly surprised on each persons reply!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneal View Post
DaveG99, i am really tired of the ( bs) that keeps coming from your mouth! Since when do you get to speak for every resident located north of dallas? And for you to say that the northern sector is nicer than the south is an opinion, not a fact. There are northern residents who wouldnt mind living south, just like southern residents who wouldnt mind living north.( everyone has a preference as to where they rather live ) . The northern sector has gorgeous neighborhoods , same as the south. There are places located north that are not as attractive, just like the south.If you were to do a door to door citywide survey from northern residents , and get their thoughts on the southern sector, you would come out pleasantly surprised on each persons reply!
I agree. For someone to say the Northern burbs are just nicer is an opinion, not a fact.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:36 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
To the O.P: 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. When I drive through de Soto or Plano, I cannot tell the difference. Same tract houses built by same builders. The strip malls have the same blah retail - a Home Depot, a Cheddars etc. You could be in Fort Bend County outside Houston, Williamson County outside Austin, Johnson County outside Kansas City. If it weren't so goddamn flat and hot, you could be in parts of the Inland Empire outside L.A. Most suburbs of sunbelt cities look the same - isn't that the point? I hear that the north suburbs of Dallas are a little wealthier and demographically whiter, and the public schools are a tad better. Parts of the southern suburbs are hillier (a relative term) and actually have tallish trees - the northern suburbs were all prairie until 20 years ago. Crime stats are however a wash. If money is a concern, you will pay more for exactly the same house in the north vs. the south! This is the narcissism of minor differences, to quote Freud! Live closer to where you work, and if you care about participating in some of the things that make Dallas interesting - restaurants, museums, nightlife, i.e. make it more than a collection of skyscrapers in southern Oklahoma, live south - it will take you less time to get to Dallas, because most people have not worked that out yet! For a person of my sensibilities, Collin county may very well be the most boring place in the world - SW Dallas county is a little better, but not that much! Northern suburbs, southern suburbs, who cares? If I had to live in such a place, the traffic is better south and I would rather be closer to Dallas, Austin and Houston than OKC!

^^This +1 [/thread]

Compared to most metro areas, the suburbs of the DFW area don't have huge differences between the others in the grand scheme of things. After awhile, the bland cookie-cutter soulessness of them all pretty much blur together. This isn't Highland Park vs. Oak Cliff that we're talking about here.

You want to see some stark, significant differences in suburbs in terms of crime, schools, income, etc? Come on up to where I live now, the metro DC area. The differences between Northern Virginia and Prince Georges County in Maryland are VERY significant. Even the housing costs between the two vary wildly compared to the DFW area. The private school system (the Catholic School system to be exact) in PG county has almost as high of an enrollment as the public school district because the schools in PG County have a reputation of being bad.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,834,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Like I said before, as a black woman, I realized that black=ghetto/crime-ridden/uneducated to a lot of people, no matter how much you personally achieve in life.

I learned a long time ago that no matter how much I achieve financially or education-wise, I'm still just a n----r to most white people. At best, we're often viewed as shiftless, whiny, and lazy; subhuman, pathological, and functionally retarded at worst. When people start talking behind closed doors, it's amazing and horrible what is really said. I made the mistake one time of reading Stormfront. I'll never do that again.

Anyway, most of the crticisms about the southern suburbs come from the transplants who've never set foot south of I-635 and can only go by what others tell them. Most people are stupid and lack critical thinking, so they can only go by rumors and hearsay. I'm pretty sure someone could make up a story about some deadly shooting down in the Best Southwest and say "it happens all the time!" and people would believe it, despite evidence to the contrary. A lot of people like to pretend that these sort of things don't exist, but those in the know understand.
-------------------------------------------------------------
This is a general perception of most successful blacks in America that many whites don't accept blacks as there equals. We can sit here and pretend this is not the case but this view is shared by many.
TJ Holmes of CNN made a similar comment...I cant find the quote but there is definitely some truth to the statement. I always have hated the fact that black people in general have to be made example of (severely punish) as if they are representation of the entire race. While whites commit the same exact crime and punishment is severely less...I think its without a doubt a lot of this is tied to the statement above of a superiority complex which can result in apathy...This is truly why the majority of blacks walk around with a chip on there shoulder and feel they have to prove to themselves that they are equal to whites...These are issues we often ignore in this country that should be address...

Old 06-14-2010, 09:33 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------
This is a general perception of most successful blacks in America that many whites don't accept blacks as there equals. We can sit here and pretend this is not the case but this view is shared by many.
TJ Holmes of CNN made a similar comment...I cant find the quote but there is definitely some truth to the statement. I always have hated the fact that black people in general have to be made example of (severely punish) as if they are representation of the entire race. While whites commit the same exact crime and punishment is severely less...I think its without a doubt a lot of this is tied to the statement above of a superiority complex which can result in apathy...This is truly why the majority of blacks walk around with a chip on there shoulder and feel they have to prove to themselves that they are equal to whites...These are issues we often ignore in this country that should be address...

Don't hold your breath. These issues will never be addressed

Old 06-14-2010, 01:57 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
To the O.P: 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. When I drive through de Soto or Plano, I cannot tell the difference. Same tract houses built by same builders. The strip malls have the same blah retail - a Home Depot, a Cheddars etc. You could be in Fort Bend County outside Houston, Williamson County outside Austin, Johnson County outside Kansas City. If it weren't so goddamn flat and hot, you could be in parts of the Inland Empire outside L.A. Most suburbs of sunbelt cities look the same - isn't that the point? I hear that the north suburbs of Dallas are a little wealthier and demographically whiter, and the public schools are a tad better. Parts of the southern suburbs are hillier (a relative term) and actually have tallish trees - the northern suburbs were all prairie until 20 years ago. Crime stats are however a wash. If money is a concern, you will pay more for exactly the same house in the north vs. the south! This is the narcissism of minor differences, to quote Freud! Live closer to where you work, and if you care about participating in some of the things that make Dallas interesting - restaurants, museums, nightlife, i.e. make it more than a collection of skyscrapers in southern Oklahoma, live south - it will take you less time to get to Dallas, because most people have not worked that out yet! For a person of my sensibilities, Collin county may very well be the most boring place in the world - SW Dallas county is a little better, but not that much! Northern suburbs, southern suburbs, who cares? If I had to live in such a place, the traffic is better south and I would rather be closer to Dallas, Austin and Houston than OKC!

I would give you 10 rep points if I could. LiferTexan I never called you a racist and I never will. I appologize if it can across as that. I am simply saying there are a few here I believe are. It's cool if we agree to disagree.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:40 AM

37 posts, read 55,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrn2004 View Post
I appreciate everyones comments and I too believe that alot of comments in regards to northern burbs and southern burbs on all of the post on city data are racial to some extent. Yes, I do have an interview at baylor garland, along with the VA, methodist as well. I like what I have seen via the web and read in regards to Cedar Hill. I do not believe that a 40 minute commute to and from work is unbearable, I have done local travel here in MI where I commuted 1 hr and 10 minutes each way. I appreciate the concerns in regards to my family but I have that part under control. When I come to town in a couple of weeks. I will drive the routes that I have been told of from Cedar Hill to Garland, the shift is from 7a-7p three days a week , so I will drive that route a couple of times while im there during those times to see what it is like. I will also drive it in the after noon as well to see what is and what works best for me.

Thanks again,
I really appreciate every ones point of view on the matter, it helps to see things from various angles.
The biggest difference in the north and the south burbs is the crime rate. The southern half of the city seems to have a higher crime rate. I work at the Federal Prison in Seagoville and about 80% of the inmates on federal charges that are local are from the southern side. My wife is a nurse at the VA and work 12's there, she says the commute from Mesquite to the VA is really not bad at all, you might consider here. PM me if you need any info about the Dallas VA, my wife has been with the VA system for 15 years and can answer most any questions you may have. I used to live in Desoto and I didn't mind it until my motorcycle was stolen, we then moved to Mesquite.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:18 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,102,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfromphilly1 View Post
The biggest difference in the north and the south burbs is the crime rate. The southern half of the city seems to have a higher crime rate. I work at the Federal Prison in Seagoville and about 80% of the inmates on federal charges that are local are from the southern side. My wife is a nurse at the VA and work 12's there, she says the commute from Mesquite to the VA is really not bad at all, you might consider here. PM me if you need any info about the Dallas VA, my wife has been with the VA system for 15 years and can answer most any questions you may have. I used to live in Desoto and I didn't mind it until my motorcycle was stolen, we then moved to Mesquite.
This is a common issue with the definition of our communities. For some reason, the southern portion of Dallas proper is often lumped together with the southern suburbs, while this rarely happens with the northern side of Dallas and the northern suburbs. There is a difference between the suburbs and the city.

I also have to point out that according to the latest statistics available, Mesquite's violent crime rate is higher than three of the four southern Dallas County suburbs and the property crime rate is higher than all four of them (the rates are listed on this thread). Despite this, I still consider Mesquite a nice, safe place to live overall. Some neighborhoods are better than others, but this is true in just about every city in DFW, especially those with larger populations. In fact, I looked at several homes in Mesquite prior to selecting my home in Lancaster. I would have no problems living there or in any of the other suburbs south of Dallas.

Last edited by Acntx; 06-15-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,461,741 times
yeah mesquite is pretty ghetto just like some of the southern burbs.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,102,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
yeah mesquite is pretty ghetto just like some of the southern burbs.
Typical DaveG99 answer. Some posters from Plano are quick to use one-word generalizations to label other communities they know little about, but are slow to provide any meaningful content that would assist the person who started this thread.

Last edited by Acntx; 06-15-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas