U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM

9,515 posts, read 19,543,777 times

Advertisements

Our house was somewhat staged with the previous owners' furniture. It made absolutely no difference to me at all, and I wished the house had been vacant so I could have concentrated less on their furniture and more on how I wanted to use the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 PM

146 posts, read 357,782 times
Our house was virtually empty when we saw it. The elderly seller had moved away to an assisted living community closer to one of her children. There was another house we seriously considered and it was empty as well. I've realized that I like homes without the stuff because I can better see its character and potential for my own stuff.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:22 AM

1,282 posts, read 2,981,351 times
I liked seeing house with furniture versus without. I am a very visual person and looking at an empty space, it was hard for me to imagine where my couch, bed, etc would go, and if they would fit.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:45 AM

339 posts, read 1,272,113 times
Another vote for empty over staged. The house we bought was completely bare.

I had an easier time imagining my own things in a space over that of trying to mentally erase the objects in an obviously staged arrangement. (Bottom line is I rarely liked the 'offends no one' kind of good taste that a staged home typically presents. In professionally staged houses I often felt like I was in a nice hotel room rather than a home. And on the other hand, a poorly staged DIY stage job can be quite distracting.) I felt more warm towards 'real' decor in completely occupied homes or just blank canvases over those that were staged.

And a bit off topic, but on our home hunt we cracked up at the sellers who obviously watched a bit too much HGTV and tried every cutesy gimmick in the book. Whoever decided that the scent (however artificial) of wafting baked goods was a sure way to keep the buyers circulating should have mentioned that a little goes a long way. I wanted to beg sellers to keep the sugar cookie candles, lemon pie air fresheners and cinnamon bun warming sticks to a minimum. LOL, a stale and stinky home is no good. But a potpourri nightmare I swear is seriously worse. I could handle a staged home, and REAL food at an open house is usually pretty cool. But the headaches some of the overly fragrant homes gave me under the guise of wooing my nose? Awful!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 AM

23,624 posts, read 31,208,083 times
I think it might have been helpful if a couple of rooms in this house had been furnished; it was not easy for me to visualize how my large furniture would look in this 1950s house's small rooms. My couch looks enormous in here! But I was glad it was vacant instead of stuffed to the gills with someone else's stuff.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:39 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,855,094 times
Our current house had not been professionally staged, but they had tried to do some of those "quick fix" things that you see on tv to get the house sold. Personally, I wish they had just not bothered, because I've never liked what they did, and have always completely repainted and recarpeted before we've moved in. We've bought homes that were both empty and occupied at the time we looked at them. It really never made a difference to us.

The realtor we used to sell our last home gave all of her clients a free one hour session with a professional stager. She came in and moved a vase from one side of the mantel to the other, and moved a chair about 6" and that was about it. She said we'd done all the stuff she usually tells people to do, like take down the family photos and fridge magnets, get everything off the counters, clean out the closets etc. We've moved so many times we kind of already knew the drill.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 AM

42,285 posts, read 49,863,906 times
Didn't appear 'staged.' Just neat and tidy with the minimalist furniture that the owner had in there. Looked fine but not fancy or 'arranged.' Their family pics and artwork was still up.
If it was staging, they should get their money back.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:00 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,718,071 times
I've bought about 25 houses now and the majority of them have been vacant. I've looked at many staged houses and really enjoy them.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:05 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,613,484 times
Our home was definitely a "fixer". We could see the foundation THROUGH some areas of the carpet it was so bad. In fact, I prefer a home that needs some TLC so we can make it our home and make changes to improve the flow of the home for us. I personally don't like staging - I'd rather have the home empty of distractions so we can look at the bones... but I suspect that I'm far from normal (on that aspect at least... hehe).

Brian

Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 AM

706 posts, read 1,478,749 times
to sell - I decluttered, moved lots of stuff to a POD, and my realtor helped me decorate with stuff I already had. (took everything off shelves/walls and had her arrange what she wanted, then stored the rest). I spent 6-8 weeks getting the house ready, including repainting kitchen cabinets and repainting walls. This was in Plano last spring, and was on the market for 2 months, sold for within 1% of original list price. IMO if you have the house priced right it will sell, but I think it helps to do these things for the quickest sale.

to buy - the house we settled on had been vacant for over a year. We toured many homes, and while I didn't find it necessary for the sellers to go all HGTV on the house, it helped if it was decluttered and had minimal furniture in it (rather than stuffed w/ furniture)

I spent a lot of time on the Real Estate forum here, it was helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or