Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 902 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Dallas area this fall for my job and haven't the faintest clue where to live. I will be working in Lancaster on the south side, which from what I hear, isn't the greatest area?

We have three kids, two that are school age, so school district is definitely important. My husband won't have a job at first so we don't know where he will be working. I don't mind some commute, but would like to keep it to around an hour or less.

My guess is we will have to rent at first, but will be looking for a home as soon as possible, probably in the $200-250 range. I would rather not have to move school districts if I don't have to for the kids sake.

A lot of people I will be working with live in the Mansfield area, I was also looking at Rockwall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 AM

37 posts, read 167,045 times
Rockwall will definitely be a bit of a drive. Have you looked at Mesquite. There are some really nice houses and I beleive the schools are decent. I know a lot of people with kids who live in the area near Horn High that really like it and it is a nice neighborhood. Also I like Lancaster, but have no idea what the schools are like. Maybe it depends on what part of Lancaster you live in.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:44 PM

198 posts, read 508,383 times
Hello Pioneer29 from Michigan. I too moved here from Michigan in June 07. You'll find more than a few Michigan expats living here. I don't know anything about the area you'll be working so I can't comment. I just wanted to say good luck on your move and ask you to give my regards to Michigan as you leave.
If you should happen to look in the Northern burbs or have any other questions regarding the move or the Metroplex go ahead and PM me.

Regards, GRHTEX formerly of Monroe County, MI.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:13 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Hello Pioneer29,

I have lived in Lancaster since 2006 and found it to be a nice community. Its not difficult to find a nice home in a well-kept neighborhood and the city continues to grow. The suburbs south of Dallas aren't as large or popular with out-of-state transplants as those north of Dallas, but there are desirable areas in this part of DFW as well. It would be really helpful if you could answer a few questions about what you are looking for.
  • Since you plan on renting first, what is your desired price range and what sized home would you need?
  • What grades will your children be in next school year?
  • Are there any unique school programs, such as gifted/talented, special education, AP, IB, etc. that you would like a school to offer?
  • Is there anything else of importance that you are looking for in a city/neighborhood?
By knowing a little more, I can give you a more detailed overview of Lancaster and others on this forum will be able to better assist you as well.

Welcome to Texas

Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Check out Crandall and Ennis, too.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM

109 posts, read 398,510 times
I agree with anabolina. Mesquite would be a good choice. Especially if you were considering going out as far as Rockwall. The Southeast area near Horn High school is nice and it would be a snap to hop on I-635 to I-20 to get to Lancaster. 200k-250K is near the top of the price range for homes in Mesquite, so you will find countless homes at or below your price range. Schools are good in the the Southeast area of Mesquite and the area is safe. If you are looking a little more upscale (where ~250K is the starting point for homes), Mesquite neighbors Sunnyvale. It is a more rural, country feel with lots of large homes.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Rockwall is awesome, but a bit of a drive. Mesquite schools are about average, but would be better than Lancaster. Sunnyvalle has a really good, if small, school district. They do have some money out there so the school's they have are new and very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas