U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 07:46 PM

109 posts, read 553,203 times

Advertisements

My wonderful day in traffic here in DC has prompted me to ask about traffic.

From Wylie to downtown Dallas, how long would your commute be on a weekday - rush hour?

From McKinney, to downtown Dallas, how long would your commute be on a weekday - i.e., rush hour?

When is traffic at its worst? Christmas time? Game times? Weekends? AND what is "horrible" to y'all, driving slowly at like 20 mph, on the freeway, or just sitting there crawling at like 5 mph on the freeway (like here).

I just can't believe there is gridlock anywhere as bad as where I live. (Except NYC and LA)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,312,218 times
Dallas traffic usually isn't too bad, during rush hour and such it can get congested and things will move a little slow, around the 20mph range. On occasion there will be gridlock, or it moves at a snails pace. The gridlock/5mph stuff is almost always due to there being a wreck and everyone has to rubberneck. Occasionally some idiot from the railroad has the great idea to stop a train across a major intersection. One I got stuck in one spot for 45 minutes while the switched cars, mind you this was in Plano, not bumpkinville.

Coming out of Wylie into Garland it bottlenecks a lot on 78. 635 seems to have the worst tie ups. Wylie to downtown Dallas I'd say about 30-45 minutes.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:20 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,378,491 times
I used to work near SMU (half way to downtown from the LBJ loop). Co-workers in Wylie said it was an hour each way at rush hour and the McKinney people said it was over an hour, like 75 minutes each way. McKinney was worse than Wylie. But to get to downtown you'd have to add, what, 6 more miles.

Going to McKinney you have to get through the High 5 interchange (75 and 635 a/k/a LBJ) and then deal with heavy traffic through Richardson, Plano and Allen on 75 and then I think you lose a lane right before you hit McKinney.

Full disclosure - all employees who lived in Wylie, McKinney and Frisco have quit because of the commute and found jobs a lot closer to home. There is still a Southlake commuter hanging on. He's a boss, so I doubt he'll quit.

For McKinney you also have the option of driving to the end of the train line in Plano and then riding the train into downtown. That would take longer.

Of course, if there are wrecks it takes longer. If you can get away from rush hour times it doesn't take as long. A lot of the big commuters I know (including me when I did it) had a "4 or 6" rule. Either leave the office by 4 or stay until 6.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:27 PM

Oh, traffic is not impacted by professional games of any kind for McKinney or Wylie commutes. If George Bush or Dick Cheney is in town they close up 75. That isn't frequent, I've seen it twice, but if the Bush Library is at SMU that will impact traffic on 75. SMU is right on 75. Also on 75 is NorthPark mall and that can get a tiny bit extra congested at Christmas time - mostly those exits, but you don't need those.

Weekends are much better, except heading towards town for the Texas/OU football game at Fair Park is very heavy. That's a Saturday in October. Actually, most weekends of the Fair can impact traffic around downtown. If you live in Frisco you have to deal with traffic related to events at Pizza Hut Park.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:45 PM

455 posts, read 1,834,207 times
If I worked downtown, I would never in a million years choose to live in McKinney or Wylie. They're just too far out and the commute would take forever both ways since Central Expwy (Hwy. 75) would be the main (only?) route. Commuting from either to Far North Dallas or Plano would be fine, though.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:31 AM

9,504 posts, read 19,501,660 times
I agree. Wylie or McKinney are too long of a commute to downtown Dallas. If you could work in Plano, then that wouldn't be so bad.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:28 AM

Hmmmm interesting... Garland will most likely be the place for us then. I thought some of the further out burbs would pose a commuting problem. I've spent enough time in my car during my time here in DC!! I have the cell phone bill to prove it!

We've had our roads closed alot b/c of the motorcades & such. I live very close to the MCB Quantico, VA. WHY does the Pres. and/or VP have to go somewhere during OUR rush hour? He should just take his helicoptor or Air Force One.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:15 PM

I had relatives get transferred to DC and they had to live way far out because they wasn't anything affordable closer in. That's not true in Dallas. You don't have to live way far out to afford a house. You can live in Dallas in a $175k home with exemplary schools.

We do have a bagillion available new or almost new houses for sale way far out though, but luckily we have all of these Californias moving in and buying those because they think communting an hour to work is close.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Actually... my hubby would be thrilled if his commute was just an hour! $175,000 gets you a great big 0 here. I drive 17 miles to my job, and many afternoons at the start of rush hour, it takes me over an hour to get home. YES. to go 17 stinkin' miles.

The kicker of this entire scenario is that my hubby works for the federal government. Hey, guess what? We can't afford to live close to where he works - we don't make enough. We'd need to make a combined income of about $200k or a little more to live close in. Yes, a move to Texas is in our foreseeable future.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:06 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,455,179 times
My commute from Milford, TX to Plano, which took me through downtown on I-35E ran about 75 to 90 minutes. That's not to bad for a 70 mile commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or