U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 114,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Donkeys keep coyotes away from vulnerable livestock, like goats or young calves. They are low maintenance and low cost!

Don't ask your realtor about the ag exemption if you want an objective answer. Call the appraisal board... Kaufman County Appraisal District
Thanks for the contact info. I called an asked questions and found out that the Donkeys do make part of the property AG Exempt.

Strange, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 19,631 times
I donít mean to intrude on the discussion board, and I assume that since the posts are from early 2007, and itís now almost 2009, your particular situation has been resolved.

For others in similar situations (ie doing a google search), you should also make note of ďanimal units.Ē In Brazos County, 1 animal unit equals 1000lbs. Now, based on your usable acreage, the ag office will tell you how many animal units you will need PER ACRE to maintain your extension. In Brazos that is about 1 animal unit per 2 acres, but in West Texas that may be 1 animal unit per 100 acres, so you just have to check. You also usually need a minimum number of animal units and acres size, which will influence what size property you buy. The ag office can and will drive by to check so donít lie!

-------------

So an example:
You want to buy a place in Brazos County. The ag office tells you the standard for the county is ~1 animal unit per 2 acres, with a minimum of 8 animal units, and 20 acres. 8 animal units X 2 acres = 16 acres, But since they donít grant exemptions to properties less than 20 acres, you need to buy at least 20 acres.

You now find a place with 20 acres. You need 8-10 animal units. That is 8,000-10,000 lbs. Hereís the good news: you can mix and match! You can get a mare (female horse), a cow, a bunch of chickens, and a BUNCH of sheep or goats (they are easier to handle than cattle for the novice farmer), as long as you can get it up to the right weight. You could just have one type of animal, mini horses, but youíd need about 20. Whatever critters you get, they need to be ďmaking babies.Ē

-------------

If you donít want to have animals, then hay or other crop is a good idea, BUT not realistic on a small scale. I wanted to do hay for my horses during winter, but I couldnít find anyone to bale my 30 acres, which was a real waste.

For a person who has never lived in ďthe country,Ē Iíd suggest you start with some chickens and goats or sheep. (*Sheep have a low copper requirement and cannot eat the same feed you give the goats/cows/horses or they will die.) Goats are pretty easy, inexpensive, and really fun. They are also a manageable size, so you donít need to buy a trailer to transport them, and are easy to sell for a profit. (Remember, your goal is to make a profit.)

Try to avoid horses unless you are a seasoned horse person. I say this because the market is flooded with excellent horses that arenít selling for even a fraction of their value. High gas (diesel) prices and drought dramatically affect hay quality and availability, and with the economy the way it is now, itís just too expensive. Another consideration is vet bills. Horses are very ďaccident proneĒ which makes them much more expensive to care for than the other farm animals.

I hope this helps anyone looking to buy something for ag exemption in the future. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 19,439 times
I live in Medina County, TX. We have twenty acres. Our house sits on about 1/2. We use all but about 2 acres for hay rest is horses. We pay to have it bailed (expensive, but less than buying bails). We have 3 large horses and 9 minis that we hope to breed this year (stallions are young). We do not have irrigation so our hay crop is doing badly this year - not sure how much we will produce. Can we qualify for ag exempt - I have been trying to reseach, but cannot find much info. if anyone can give me advice on where to look I would appreciate it - or just advice on ag exempt.
thank you dj

Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 17,367 times
Default Ag Exemptions

[FONT=Verdana]I would like to know who sets the agriculture exemptions amounts and what is it for Kaufman County Texas. I know the Appraisal District determines if it is agriculture exempt, but who sets the rates the county or state?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]This is a very controversial subject in Kaufman County. A large portion of the land in Kaufman County, a rural area, has agriculture exemption. This puts a large tax burden on those that do not have agriculture exemption.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I know of some people with 8-10 acres that will buy a few calves, feed them out and sell them to maintain an agriculture exemption, I am sure this was not the intent of the law.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The County Commissioners claim this is set by the state. This is difficult to accept because counties have different exemption amounts.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Does anyone know where I can find in writing who sets this agriculture exemption amount. Remember it aplies to County, School District and City Taxes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 12-04-2010, 10:35 PM

20 posts, read 54,900 times
You can also ask the agricultural extension office in your county. They should also have some ideas that would keep your property on the tax roll as AG exempt. The extension agents are listed in the directory under that county's listing and usually is located in the court house or other county offices...(DUH)

Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 31,192 times
If this property is already in ag exempt, you will need go to Kaufman Co. Appraisal, immediately after purchasing the land and have it moved to your name. Although KCA is very strict on ag exempt as they are definitely after the tax revenue they can get from any land owner.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 31,192 times
Default Ag Exempt Land

We recently bought back 9.25 acres that adjoins our 30 acres. This land is family owned land by my dad's family for over 100 years. The county is not wanting to put the 9.25 acres back into ag because "they say"... "it has not been in ag for 5 - 7 years. Granted the last owners didn't know about ag... they only had the land for about 5 - 7 years or so... but my question is what part of the 100 years are they saying was not 5 - 7 years ag. We are cattle and bailing hey people for about 3 generations??? How can Kaufman County Appraisal make such a decision as NO you have to wait and prove yourself for 5 - 7 years??? We both are retired and are trying to get things in order for retirement. We have cows and have been bailing hay??? Not that it is a good hay season as of yet...

Old 12-21-2011, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 13,539 times
pull up texas ag exemptions on internet. this will give you the information you need. you have to show you are making a living off the land. if you are looking at donkeys or horses. you must be a breeder. cows would be your best bet.10 acres of good grass should support 3 cows if you also have water.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 PM

931 posts, read 1,791,774 times
The purpose and its a good one is there was no ag exemption there would be considerably less farming done in this state. Its a break for farmers who use the land to grow stuff,

Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
How much land do I need to file for ag exempt in Brazos County Tx?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or