U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 AM

49 posts, read 149,192 times

Advertisements

one of my good friends is a Sikh who has a family living in Richardson near the University of Texas at Dallas (which btw, has a huge Indian community). He has told me plenty of stories of ignorant people calling out to him in racist terms but he doesnt let it bother him. Being Japanese, i get the occasional racist remarks as well, and i believe youre going to get it no matter where you go. that being said he currently lives in Hawaii (is planning on coming back to Dallas after he graduates this summer) and he gets hassled out there as well.

Ive met plenty of his friends and they all seem friendly and seem to accept people with open arms. then again, this is the late-20's, early 30's crowd. not sure how the older generation perceive things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 PM

23,603 posts, read 31,161,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandm177 View Post
one of my good friends is a Sikh who has a family living in Richardson near the University of Texas at Dallas (which btw, has a huge Indian community). He has told me plenty of stories of ignorant people calling out to him in racist terms but he doesnt let it bother him. Being Japanese, i get the occasional racist remarks as well, and i believe youre going to get it no matter where you go. that being said he currently lives in Hawaii (is planning on coming back to Dallas after he graduates this summer) and he gets hassled out there as well.

Ive met plenty of his friends and they all seem friendly and seem to accept people with open arms. then again, this is the late-20's, early 30's crowd. not sure how the older generation perceive things...
We have two black families on this street that I have seen, at least one Latino family, and several Indian families in the neighborhood (don't know what streets they live on) and I have never heard any of the white old-timer neighbors say a single bad word about them.

Basically there are racist a-holes everywhere and if you are looking for them trust me, you will find them. But most people I think are pretty laid back and as long as you keep your yard and house nice, they don't really care what you look like.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 AM

49 posts, read 149,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Basically there are racist a-holes everywhere and if you are looking for them trust me, you will find them. But most people I think are pretty laid back and as long as you keep your yard and house nice, they don't really care what you look like.
agreed

Old 06-11-2010, 09:32 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,540,509 times
My wife is Indian and I'm Taiwanese. We've lived in Allen for almost 10 years and our kids attend school in PISD - no major problems. I agree with BigDGeek - they're out there for sure, but don't affect me enough to even notice - maybe I'm just unobservant. Besides, people will steer clear if you start openly carrying a kirpan around all the time (just kidding and not trying to offend, I've actually always thought that the knife was pretty cool)

Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 AM

864 posts, read 2,264,824 times
I'm Indian, and my wife is white. We live in Wylie, no problems or dirty looks. Then again I'm not sikh, and no turban, but being from the SF Bay Area (Especially Fremont, large Indian population) and now living in DFW area (Also a large Indian population), I don't think you and your GF will have much trouble here.

Now go out 100 miles in any direction from Dallas, and yes people will stare because you are sikh AND because you are with a white woman. Then again, even if my wife and I go somewhere 100 miles away from Dallas we get the same thing, although I have no turban. That happened to us when we drove down here to move here from CA, we stopped for gas and snacks in Vernon, TX, between Amarillo and Dallas. I felt VERY uncomfortable in this particular gas station (which was a busy gas station in the middle of town) and my wife said the people there looked like they were a bit spooked. They weren't used to seeing someone who wasn't white/black/hispanic, and of course with some racism sprinkled in they probably thought I was middle eastern (And thus, according to racists, a terrorist).

But that goes for any rural part of America. When we lived in KC we had no problems in the immediate KC metro, but once we started going further away from the metro into more rural areas, people would stare. They didn't say anything or do anything, but the staring is like when someone stares at someone because they are in a wheelchair or something, it's just something they are not used to seeing. We'd go to my wife's "hometown", middle of nowhere Missouri, population 600, and go into the Casey's General Store (gas station/convenience store). People were friendly as can be, but my wife would point out after we left, "did you notice everyone was staring at you?" Of course I didn't since nobody would stare when I was looking at them, but I understood what was going on.

I should add another part of the OP's concern which isn't being addressed here much is how the Indian community perceives things. Notice that the OP has had bad experiences with other Indians (even other sikhs) towards his relationship with a white woman. So far I have not noticed that stuff here in the DFW metro, and I mention the SF Bay Area because the Indians in DFW remind me of those in the SF Bay Area, i.e. the Indians are not put off when they see an Indian with a white woman or vice versa.

If you want a new/newer cheap huge house, consider Wylie like we did which is near Richardson/Plano. We bought our home in Nov 09, $210k, 6 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 3700 sq. ft, built in 2005. Wylie is very safe with a small town/suburb feel. We couldn't be happier with our huge home just for us, but we if want to have a family, we have plenty of space. Schools are good here too, and there are even top notch private schools. Through my boss I know a doctor (Who is Indian) who lives in McKinney but has a practice in Sherman, TX. Every day he drives his child down to Dallas to go to St. Marks school and then drives to Sherman for work (his wife picks up the kid and brings him home). He says the school is so worth it to do this, look up these cities to see that it is a pretty extreme morning commute. But he says it is a must to give his kid the best education in the area. Don't know how much it costs though.

Last edited by pappy97; 06-11-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 AM

864 posts, read 2,264,824 times
And in terms of red state and blue state, I think you are looking at it wrong. Dallas/DFW area will be better for you in terms of your racial concerns because Scottsdale and Arizona in general does not have much of an Indian population. DFW has the fourth largest concentration of Indians in the US, only behind NY/NJ, SF Bay Area, LA/OC. Having more Indians here means two things:

1.) Non-Indians are more used to seeing Indians and thus more comfortable.

2.) More Indians means the Indian community here is large enough that you won't see racism FROM Indians. I worry more about where there are only small pockets of Indians because those people might think you are trying to destroy whatever small community they have by going outside your ethnicity.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,292,759 times
^^I echo alot of what Pappy said.

Being from California, one thing I can say is very different from Texas and California is that the mentality between the small towns and the major metro's is vastly different. I can confidently say that Indians dont really turn heads here in Dallas because there are so many of them. However, drive 100 miles to some small towns and you might receive some stares. They might not be stares of racism, but stares of curiosity (given that the Indians of the state tend to congregate in DFW, Houston, and Austin).

That being said, there are ignorant people everywhere. Likewise racism also exists everywhere.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 AM

9 posts, read 20,163 times
I would like to thank everyone who responded. Especially the Indians who are in inter-racial relationships like me.

We have decided that even though we will take up this job, we will not stay there longer term (there are just too many stresses of this sort in red states). So, house buying is out of the question, and we are looking for apartments.

Since we want to save up for a house downpayment later, I want to limit my rent to $700, and want to stay near the UTD area (I am guessing that the larger international presence and more educated people there would make life a little easier).

What is a good apartment (with a fitness center, and covered parking) to look at in that area ?

Specifically, what do you think of the following (I found them online):

1. Royal Arms
2. Lakeside on Spring Valley
3. Falls on Clearwood
4. Cutter's Point

Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,540,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.singh View Post
I would like to thank everyone who responded. Especially the Indians who are in inter-racial relationships like me.

We have decided that even though we will take up this job, we will not stay there longer term (there are just too many stresses of this sort in red states). So, house buying is out of the question, and we are looking for apartments...
Try to keep an open mind when you get here - there is a widespread misconception out there that different parts of the country are more or less racist/bigoted than other parts automatically because of the predominant political party affiliation. It is just not true, there are racist people everywhere and in all parts of the political spectrum - but that's a topic for another thread. Also, there definitely is such a thing as a self fulfilling prophecy.

In any case, good luck and glad to hear you're making progress on the transition - moving is always such a PITA.

Last edited by tyanger; 06-21-2010 at 11:50 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 AM

18 posts, read 39,859 times
I'd say that based on your questions and concerns, you'd be better off to look into areas of Dallas proper.
My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or