U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 20,224 times

Advertisements

I am Indian but have lived in the US for about 12 years.

I have mostly lived in blue states and lately have been living in a red state. I am a Sikh by religion, and yes, I do wear a turban. I make a decent living with God's grace.

I am not married yet but am in an interracial relationship (she is white, and our difference in that respect does not matter to either of us). I have noticed that in my current city (Scottsdale, AZ), we have drawn a little bit of hostility both from local whites, and local Indians. As a result, we watch where we go.

I may be moving to Dallas in September. Both of us have got offers for high paying jobs there, and our visits there have shown us that it is better area (looks wise) than here. However, since TX is even more red than AZ, both of us are having doubts. I am slightly liberal, while she is very liberal in her politics. I have a few questions:

1. Providing we are careful about where we live, how difficult it is to be an interracial couple in that part of the South ? Her family is from Georgia, and she tells me some horror stories from when she was a kid. I have never had to live in the South, but have read enough to be wary.

2. How easy / difficult is it to get a house (<$300K) in a good, crime free area ?

3. Are liberals going to be misfits socially in the local scene ?

4. I have lived in extreme cold and now, extreme heat. How hot / humid does it get ? Anyone who moved there from Arizona would probably be best placed to answer this one for us

5. Let us say that we get married and want to raise a family, how really bad is the education system there ? Should I count on homeschooling any future kids if teaching "intelligent" design is a feature of the science classroom there ? Are there any private schools that provide an actual education ? How expensive are they ? I do not mean to insult anyone, but both of us consider education to be critical.

6. Are there a lot of tornadoes in that area ? It does seem as flat as a pancake.

I may have more questions later. Thanks to everyone.

Last edited by m.singh; 06-03-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,217,513 times
People please do a thread search...it saves alot of time.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:31 PM

7,098 posts, read 17,002,683 times
Texas might be a red state, but the Dallas area is actually more blue. The "majority" of the City of Dallas is actually the "minority". Sounds backasswards, but it's true.

Richardson and Plano are both areas with a good Indian population as well as Carrollton. People aren't going to care if you're interracial... at least I didn't care when I saw people and I lived in Richardson for 25 years.

The schools are good, and the area is good. You won't have a problem finding something under $300k unless you like bells and whistles. I just moved from NE Richardson (Renner and Shiloh) and huge Indian population over there because of the new doctors' offices. Brings appreciation up, but you'll have to spend more than $300k in that area!

It's humid, but not anything like Houston or St. Louis.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Falconhead,

That is a relief.

I do not care about the racial makeup. I have lived in areas that were 99% white and was made to feel at home, and I have lived in areas that were 40% Hispanic and 20% Black and treated crappily. Racists do not come in any particular color. I know plenty of Indians who treat my girl poorly.

Regarding schools - I am assuming that the Texas School Board governs what they learn. I guess I will need to look at private schools and fork over the money.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM

37 posts, read 147,412 times
I don't think you need to worry at all about being in an interracial couple. No one really looks twice at you. My boss is Indian and married to a white woman and I've never seem them treated differently.

I would also note that religion and politics are really things that are definitely hotbutton topics. I think most of my friends are a whole lot more liberal that my excessively conservative beliefs, but it works because we just never talk about religion or politics.

It's hot and humid here but its beautiful in the Fall and Spring.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM

anabolina,

Thanks.

I guess as a turbaned Sikh, I have faced a bit of a problem since moving to AZ (racist catcalls - people calling me an Arab or Taliban, nasty graffiti left on the car, etc.) . TX, being redder than AZ made me a little wary of this.

Areas with higher Indian population are not necessarily a plus for me given some of the experiences we have had as a couple. In Phoenix, we go to a white Sikh gurudwara because the Indian Sikh gurudwara had some nasty people who used to make fun of us, or taunt her at times (not every weekend, but often enough to make me very angry).

I do not bring up my politics or religion with anyone except very close like-minded friends, but given the turban, the second is always present in the background because so many people ignorantly think I am a Muslim (that thought itself, given the history of my people, is offensive to me).

I guess we are at a stage where we want the ignorant buffoons, be they white or Indian, to just leave us alone.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 PM

7,098 posts, read 17,002,683 times
The Richardson and Plano schools are highly rated in the area, so you might want to look into them before spending money on private school when it might not be necessary. Parts of Richardson also feed into Plano schools, and not Richardson, schools so just be aware of that. I grew up in Richardson, graduated with honors from JJ Pearce, and they are a very good school. Granted, that was 15+ years ago, but still highly rated.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Falconheadwest,

Thanks again !

We are nowhere near having kids right now, but this is good to know. Now, I just need to find a good realtor in winter so that I can buy.

In the interim, what are rents in that area like (for a quiet, crime free, close to UTD area) ?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:40 PM

3,546 posts, read 6,989,536 times
Yes, the State Board of Education just passed some controversial decisions. However, if you are that far off from having kids, I would not let it worry you and drive you to start looking at private schools.

Richardson was the center of the area's high tech boom and the diversity is pretty broad based. You and your GF should be just fine. Also, the schools are great, and with such diversity they know much better how to handle the kinds of narrow minded decisions that the SBOE passed without sacrificing the education of their students.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 PM

23,641 posts, read 31,358,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.singh View Post
I am Indian but have lived in the US for about 12 years.

I have mostly lived in blue states and lately have been living in a red state. I am a Sikh by religion, and yes, I do wear a turban. I make a decent living with God's grace.

I am not married yet but am in an interracial relationship (she is white, and our difference in that respect does not matter to either of us). I have noticed that in my current city (Scottsdale, AZ), we have drawn a little bit of hostility both from local whites, and local Indians. As a result, we watch where we go.

I may be moving to Dallas in September. Both of us have got offers for high paying jobs there, and our visits there have shown us that it is better area (looks wise) than here. However, since TX is even more red than AZ, both of us are having doubts. I am slightly liberal, while she is very liberal in her politics. I have a few questions:

1. Providing we are careful about where we live, how difficult it is to be an interracial couple in that part of the South ? Her family is from Georgia, and she tells me some horror stories from when she was a kid. I have never had to live in the South, but have read enough to be wary.
Honestly? There are enough people ignorant of Sikhs that you may get some looks or off-color remarks, alone or with your girlfriend. Richardson and Plano both have good-sized Indian communities (Valley Ranch too) so most people you encounter there will have seen a Sikh before. A Sikh man with a white woman will probably raise eyebrows in most parts of the US because it is unusual. In my experience, Indians tend to stick with their own.

Quote:
2. How easy / difficult is it to get a house (<$300K) in a good, crime free area ?
No such thing as crime-free anywhere, but you can find a nice home in a nice area easily for that budget.

Quote:
3. Are liberals going to be misfits socially in the local scene ?
I wouldn't think so. I am mostly liberal and have friends from both ends of the political spectrum.

Quote:
4. I have lived in extreme cold and now, extreme heat. How hot / humid does it get ? Anyone who moved there from Arizona would probably be best placed to answer this one for us
Less hot but more humid than Arizona.

Quote:
5. Let us say that we get married and want to raise a family, how really bad is the education system there ? Should I count on homeschooling any future kids if teaching "intelligent" design is a feature of the science classroom there ? Are there any private schools that provide an actual education ? How expensive are they ? I do not mean to insult anyone, but both of us consider education to be critical.
RISD and PISD are both excellent districts. I consider RISD superior to PISD, especially the schools that feed into J.J. Pearce and Richardson High School. I live in Richardson and there are many Indian shops and restaurants near me; the closest supermarket, in fact, is an Indian supermarket called TajMahal Imports. I go there sometimes on my way home if all I need is some tomatoes and a head of garlic. Or if I have a Kukure craving. I get looks and raised eyebrows in there, but who cares?

Quote:
6. Are there a lot of tornadoes in that area ? It does seem as flat as a pancake.
Richardson and Plano, no. Other parts of the metroplex (mainly west and south), maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or