U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 86,578 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I will be moving into the Las Colinas area, and I have heard that foundation problems are common in Dallas.

I heard of the following strategy for foundation protection:
Have a "soaker hose" buried surrounding your house and connected to your automated sprinkler system. Set the soaker hose to run for a period of time daily, so the soil is kept under relatively constant conditions and is less likely to significantly contract/expand which is what typically causes foundation problems.

Does this strategy work? Any other ideas/suggestions, or do you just have to take your chances?

Thanks for your advice,
N123
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 06:04 PM

670 posts, read 2,674,016 times
DH did this, he said the way to do it is a about a foot away, create another zone obviously with the sprinkler system, and bury it a few inches (he said it was about 3 inches). Our houses did not have foundation problems when they were sold, but we currently are not living there so I don't know if the drought has changed anything regarding time/duration, etc. We did this from around 1997 through well last month when the house sold (although we have not been in state since September 2006).

Old 06-18-2007, 07:53 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,607,050 times
Essentially, all foundations companies suggest putting a water around your foundation to keep moisture content in the ground relatively consistent. We have a zone around our foundation that runs every other day. Your plan should work just fine. I do concur with USA_Mom, it's generally recommended to keep the soaker hose a foot from the foundation.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Yes, it can work but you need to keep it a good 16" away from the foundation. If you don't have a sprinkler system to tie it into then you can put it on your water spout and do it that way. Bury it about 3" below grade. Now, if you DO have a sprinkler system then you don't even need to worry about a soaker hose. You should have it zoned w/ ones that are right in about the same spot around your house and you can turn those on every few days. The ones in the front flowerbeds/bushes should be in the right spot to take care of the front. Have a sprinkler person come out and check them all for you and they can put in new ones if you need them around your house. This would be the easiest and a lot better than a soaker hose buried. Right now w/ all of the rain we have been getting I'd suggest to NOT be watering around your foundation or you may find your house lifting up out of the ground.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:51 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,381,409 times
You might check and see if there is an underground creek or something below houses you are interested in. Those houses (and pools) have more trouble. Also, you might try and find a pier and beam house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or