Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:35 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,250,630 times

Advertisements

They are disgusting and if I had them in my house, it would drive me nuts. Have you seen Texas scorpions yet? Hahaha! Although cockroaches don't hurt anyone, they're full of diseases of all kinds. The sting of the scorpion is painful.

It takes time to get "kind of" used to the bugs here. I still have a really tough time when I see a scorpion in my house. They are just so mean looking and yes...they do crawl on ceilings as do the roaches.

A gecko was crawling up my living room wall last night. I think they're cute. I did see a scorpion a few nights ago in my storage shed, but I haven't seen one in my house for a few years now.

After hearing some roach stories, I'm totally blessed they don't live in my house.

Good luck! I feel your pain about these sickening and useless southern bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:46 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,747,986 times
I moved several pieces of stacked wood in my back-yard and there were sooo many roaches and other bugs it was hilarious.
I used to be deadly afraid of bugs (and still dislike some spiders a lot) but somehow that changed (?) and I couldn't help the chuckles seeing some roaches flee in panic. There was one really big one with long antennas - looked like out of a cartoon

Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 AM

44 posts, read 83,499 times
I'm almost afraid to ask this question b/c of the answer, but I keep finding these little brown balls in the house. If we had a dog or cat, I'd think it was their food pebbles! It is the shape and color of them. I found a few in a doll box and this morning when I opened the pantry, there was 1 on the floor (definitely was not there last night so I know it isn't a piece of food my kids dropped and it dried out).

Is this something from a lizard? Can't imagine a cockroach making/carrying this?

I haven't seen a roach since that one (we've kept the drains closed since then, so I am assuming it came out of the tub) and I was just starting to relax! Obviously something is in the house...

Last edited by rach924; 06-09-2010 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 AM

8,601 posts, read 14,818,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach924 View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask this question b/c of the answer, but I keep finding these little brown balls in the house. If we had a dog or cat, I'd think it was their food pebbles! It is the shape and color of them. I found a few in a doll box and this morning when I opened the pantry, there was 1 on the floor (definitely was not there last night so I know it isn't a piece of food my kids dropped and it dried out).

Is this something from a lizard? Can't imagine a cockroach making/carrying this?

I haven't seen a roach since that one (we've kept the drains closed since then, so I am assuming it came out of the tub) and I was just starting to relax! Obviously something is in the house...
A picture would be helpful. It could be something as innocuos as a dead pill-bug.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 AM

44 posts, read 83,499 times
We got it figured out (I'm pretty sure, at least)....I am just so jumpy about the critters here in TX that I didn't even think to ask my 4 yr old first. I called the owners and they didn't know what I was talking about....So I finally thought to ask her if she put her hotdogs in the doll box and she said yes. I then asked her if she got up in the middle of the night while we were sleeping and she said yes and when I asked what she did, she said she came in the kitchen and opened the pantry...So I'm going to assume it is her and somehow she dropped, kicked, etc. another piece of hotdog in the pantry.

I feel so stupid! I need to relax about this place. Lol (Hopefully that really is the reason, though)

To the last poster, it was huge. I know what a pill bug looks like, so it wasn't that. Like the size of dried up piece of hotdog, lol.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,225,895 times
I forgot to mention watch out for mice, snakes and other nasties. I had a mouse in my apartment for months before I finally got rid of him, and to this day no clue how he got it. He got in my pantry and nibbled on my lasagna noodles. A neighbor of mind found a snake in her apartment in her dogs water bowl.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:11 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,250,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach924 View Post

I believe they're gecko eggs. I have them all over my garage, storage shed, and in my storm cellar. The ones I see are not really brown though...more of a tan color.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:46 PM

15,497 posts, read 10,437,139 times
You can have a spotless house and still get roaches. Some roaches will eat soap, books, paper and glue. For instance, my sil is a neat freak and has a good professional pest service but they keep coming back. They are now thinking perhaps its the vapor shield under her pier and beam house that the roaches like. It's the darnest thing.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 36,994 times
My MIL recommended that I spray Raid at every threshold of our house - doors, windows, fireplace, etc. That cut down the "palmetto bugs" and other visitors we've had. Ugh. I think rentals that have been vacant are the worst candidates for visitations - I know mine had been empty for a while before we moved in and it's taken a few weeks to send them all packing!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:46 AM

931 posts, read 2,129,651 times
Call them waterbugs if you want but they are roaches to me. I have been toying with the idea of using some of the roach killer that leaves a barrier that you can find at Home Depot.

I am just concerned with my two goldens who check everything out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas