U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:39 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,390,135 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who as a kid in Rockwall schools. She was surprised to see how many ESL (English as a 2nd Language) kids there were. She said when her daughter started kinder (this was 8-9 years ago) there was an entire class of ESL kinder kids. My friend was not happy, to be frank, because she thought that meant the school was having to spend a lot of money in that direction taking it away from the other kids. I don't know if that is true or not. My friend got her daughter in the gifted program. She's in high school now and still in advanced classes and has been very happy with her daughter's schooling overall.

I know another person who teaches in a Dallas school and she said all of their African kids, esp Ethiopian kids were moving to Rockwall. She said these kids were excellent students with supportive families. She was sad to see them go. She thought there must be a large contigent of Ethiopian families in Rockwall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 PM

38 posts, read 165,650 times
I teach in a well known North Dallas suburban high school. I think you get out of school what you put into it. If you want to party all the time, then there are certainly outlets for that type of behavior, but if you are a serious student there are many excellent programs to pursue your dreams. Part of the problems that we have to address in our school are not so much from the kids as from the parents. I am sorry to say that too many parents are far more concerned with their childrens' athletic stats and popularity than their academic progress. As for the TAKS test, don't sweat it. For the most part the students who didn't fail, and who didn't graduate as a result, chose not to take steps to improve their chances. Students have five chances beginning their junior year to pass the test. All districts have tutoring and special prep classes available. Sadly too many of the kids that failed decided to stay in other programs and skip getting the help needed. As for Rowlett specifically, its a good district, they have a terrific music program and from what I have seen they have a good staff. It's one of the facts of life that there are gangs and gang wannabe's everywhere. You simply have to be smart enough to avoid that kind of life. Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM

27 posts, read 93,249 times
Thanks everyone! I am looking forward to starting over. I just haven't set up a home in the Dallas area, and try to figure out as much as I can. My sister of course, says I will love it!( she really wants me to come), so I have to feel she is just a bit prejudice! Either way, I am an adventurer, and plan on job hunting and getting the kids into Amanda Rochell elementry. I hope I fall in love with the area! I was born in Corpus, so maybe I am inlined ot find where my real roots are as a Texan! The folks in this forum are awesome, spending time to educate all who are in need! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or