U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:11 PM

27 posts, read 94,810 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am planning to move To Rockwall, TExas before school starts in Aug. I was very excited about the move, however a friend of mine, said the schools have taken a turn for the worse, due to over crowding, gang violence, and the emotional needs of people being affected by hurricane Katrina. I am currently living in Japan, in a VERY safe environment for my children, so naturally I am worried aobut their well being in a new community. They are 8 and 11. Making the decision to move to Texas for military retirement has sounded like a positive move for the most part, but after my friend went into her reasons NOT to move, such as schools .I am still pondering if I am making the right move! I have really enjoyed this site, and everybody's input. I am not trying to say that the transplants are the problem, I am just wondering if the communities are prepared for the changes!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 09:40 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,859,729 times
Well, I don't know about that. The most frequent complaint I hear from parents of kids in public schools all over Dallas is the focus on the TAKS test, the state's yearly accountability test.

I took my son out of public school, though, because I wasn't happy with it. But I know lots of parents who are happy or okay with the public schools they are in. I have been very very happy with the private school we are using. The private school took in several Katrina kids. I think they have all returned to NOLA though. None of them were in my son's grade so I never knew them.

Ya know, come to think of it, I have had several teachers or former teachers tell me they are disturbed with the kids coming through the schools lately (well one counselor pinpointed it to starting in the late 1990s). They said they are a lot more seriously messed up kids than there ever has been. If you go to some teachers message boards you can get a real eyefull of information.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:57 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,457,965 times
Rockwall is still a fairly small place, borders on rural and suburban, mostly affluent. It's a very conservative area, but people live it and aren't hypocrites. All high schools have some sort of a drug scene, but at 8 and 11 thats years away. There is little if any gang activity in the area.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:32 PM

709 posts, read 3,166,922 times
I'm an educator and a parent...

We took in a huge group of Katrina kids last year and NO we did not have gang problems enter the picture. Matter of fact our families that remain are some of the most involved and caring parents we have and the kids are a joy to have.

On top of that, yes, kids and families have changed over the years. This is going to happen as long as most parents have to work vs. when our parents were raising us. But this doesn't mean the children are more trouble. It just means that we as a society have to be more on top of things and make sure we are raising our children to be citizens with values and morals. I have to say though there are many parents out there that don't take the time to be parents. They just allow their children to run all over them and others. Until the adults start acting like adults we won't see major changes with the children. We are the role models for our children and they just learn by our examples (ex. I once called a parent because they were over 30 minutes late picking up their child. When I couldn't reach the parent the 7 year old said, she probably isn't answering the phone because she doesn't want to talk to the bill collectors. Now what is this teaching our children?).

If a school and district sets their standards high you can educate and provide a quality education. I know this because I teach in a school that sterotypically should be in the bottom of the bottom based off the income level and transient(sp) population. We are however quite the opposite and our children are successful because the teachers, admin, and parents at our school make it happen. And of course the students make it work too.
Yes, TAKS is a big part of public education in Texas. I am one of the many teachers that are not happy with the direction the state legislators(sp) have taken over the years. However, it is not the only thing that makes schools. You can't base an informative decision based off TAKS.

Oh, and by the way a quality school do not teach to TAKS, they teach life long learning using higher level thinking.

I feel if you research the areas you are interested in raising your children you will know if you are doing the right thing by moving to Texas. Quite honestly, whether it is Texas or Iowa...you are still going to find some of the same problems.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:01 AM

27 posts, read 94,810 times
Thanks for your input everyone! I will continue to research Rockwall. I believe my children will be going to Amanda Rochell elem, with my sisters children. I am hoping that the adjustments in our lifestyles will work for us. My children have been moving for a long time, and we just wanna get settled. I am choosing Texas to be a little closer to my family, and yes I have family in Iowa too! We love Japan, loved WA state, and of course loved San Diego. We want to live in a place where we can spend time bbqing and hanging out by the pool with friends and family! And at a price we can afford!
So, hubby will retire, and I will be looking to find a new career myself! Thanks for the continued support and info on this forum! NOw, I guess I have to research TAKS...I don't even know what that is!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:41 AM

992 posts, read 1,957,836 times
gang problem in Rockwall? LOL

Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 AM

709 posts, read 3,166,922 times
rantanamo,
You'd be surprised... it doesn't matter where you go there is some influence of gangs. It doesn't matter if it is Rockwall. This is sad but it is the facts. Gangs may not be as dominant or strong in some areas but gangs are present even in the most affluent areas. I still think that if we teach our children right from wrong by example and positive and consistent parenting then most of us have nothing to worry about with our children.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:57 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,562,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
I once called a parent because they were over 30 minutes late picking up their child. When I couldn't reach the parent the 7 year old said, she probably isn't answering the phone because she doesn't want to talk to the bill collectors. Now what is this teaching our children?
Somewhere our society made a HUGE mistake. As a whole we allowed a very large segment of our kids to grow up without understanding the value of hard work, living within our means and how to carry out a simple phone conversation.

With just a little bit of effort, the mother could get the collectors off her back and get herself focused on fixing her financial woes.

I know my kids are learning these lessons from us, but they will hear the information again and again, until they show some understanding. If nothing else, that will put them a step up on their peers.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 AM

992 posts, read 1,957,836 times
I think we're confused about a real gang vs some wannabe punk kids. Gangs kill along with their drug selling. Gangs tag a lot. Perhaps they have some runners in suburban schools that sell drugs, but that would be present anyway. Gangs are a whole different ball of wax.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
There are problems in ALL areas but they are different problems to some extent. There are no "hardcore gangs" in Rockwall but you have the punks or kids who just don't care and their parents could either be totally trash or money out the wazoo. Same goes for ALL areas and it is not just in the Dallas area either. The problem your going to find in the wealthier districts are the parents that think their kid can do whatever they want because they have "influence", money and/or they are the star ball player/cheerleader, etc.

As for Katrina and the kids from that, you won't see many of them in the suburban schools. If there is one it is usually just one family that came to the suburban school. I saw the numbers back when but they were relatively low in our area. One friend that teaches had a Katrina kid that was a HUGE problem. He relocated to another city first from N.O. then showed up in the Dallas area. In this case mom is a cokehead and total loser so it does not help. It did not take long for this kid to find his way out of the regular school and into the alternative school. If your in a district that does not put up w/ crap then when they start to cause problems it will be dealt w/ pretty quick. Sadly this kid pulled another good kid down w/ him and that kid got alternative school too even though he as a good student and kid and it was a first offense. The GISD does not put up w/ much at all. Even the teachers and the principal tried to get the district to let the good kid go. His teacher told me she knew he was probably scared to death to attend the alternative school everyday since that was not the kind of kid he was.

We have not had schools locked down or shutdown because of kids that came here because of Katrina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or