U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM
 
236 posts, read 1,026,048 times
Reputation: 115

Advertisements

Yeah I'd say as low as $40k is livable as codytravers mentioned. Especially if you have no debt/loans.

1br apartments can be had in the area for $600-$800/month... you'll sacrifice size for location essentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 PM
 
40 posts, read 57,416 times
Reputation: 59
Why you say, well thanks for asking.

I am well off and LOVE uptown. I have everything I want within 5 miles. I have owned the big home in North Dallas not for me. Being "rich" is all relative anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
 
Location: East Village
755 posts, read 1,995,573 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyATMcandy View Post
1br apartments can be had in the area for $600-$800/month... you'll sacrifice size for location essentially.
Um, really? I lived in Uptown (on Turtle Creek) for ~4 years and never saw a one bedroom for remotely that price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
 
236 posts, read 1,026,048 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Um, really? I lived in Uptown (on Turtle Creek) for ~4 years and never saw a one bedroom for remotely that price.

yeah we're talking 500-600 sq feet in that price range, but they do exist. I just got done searching around and strolled over some smaller 1brs in that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM
 
3,029 posts, read 6,917,301 times
Reputation: 3190
I think it's probably the preferred place to live for young urban professionals such as lawyers to live, who work at the big firms downtown. I went to a party at an uptown high rise condo not too long ago of someone who was really wealthy - a real estate investor who bought a 600K unit and gutted it spending another 150k to finish it as he wanted it. I knew the guy had to be wealthy since he had almost as many paid servers working the party as there were guests (new one for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,692 posts, read 11,434,089 times
Reputation: 3684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I think it's probably the preferred place to live for young urban professionals such as lawyers to live, who work at the big firms downtown. I went to a party at an uptown high rise condo not too long ago of someone who was really wealthy - a real estate investor who bought a 600K unit and gutted it spending another 150k to finish it as he wanted it. I knew the guy had to be wealthy since he had almost as many paid servers working the party as there were guests (new one for me).
Sounds like he is stimulating the economy.

Last edited by PanTerra; 06-09-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 AM
 
236 posts, read 1,026,048 times
Reputation: 115
lol

I love all the ferraris, lambos, and other 6 figure priced cars in west village in that shopping area that park next to each other in that valet lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 07:05 PM
 
20 posts, read 37,097 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyATMcandy View Post
lol

I love all the ferraris, lambos, and other 6 figure priced cars in west village in that shopping area that park next to each other in that valet lot.
Lol I saw the same thing when I was walking around the neighborhood looking for an apartment. I'm going to enjoy the neighborhood not for the shopping but for the restaurants/bars.

One of the apartments I applied to had a minimum income requirement. Something like $30k on a an apartment $1k per month. Which is pretty insane that does not leave much money left after rent and taxes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
 
1,377 posts, read 3,649,397 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
Lol I saw the same thing when I was walking around the neighborhood looking for an apartment. I'm going to enjoy the neighborhood not for the shopping but for the restaurants/bars.

One of the apartments I applied to had a minimum income requirement. Something like $30k on a an apartment $1k per month. Which is pretty insane that does not leave much money left after rent and taxes...
That's pretty much standard anywhere in the country unless you have roommates that divide the rent. If you can't balance $30,000 from $12,000 just in rent, then you have issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,692 posts, read 11,434,089 times
Reputation: 3684
Why are there so many rich people in Highland Park?
WHy are there so many rich people in Preston Hollow?
Why, why, why?!!!

Last edited by PanTerra; 06-10-2010 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top