Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM

24 posts, read 27,259 times

Advertisements

Like most of SoCal, we are moving to DFW and are considering Plano/Richardson. Husband would be working downtown (surprise!! we are not Toyota), which is why we are considering Plano/Richardson. He plans to take the DART into work (thoughts?) to avoid the commute. Based on my research so far, I like the area near Breckenridge Park, (Two story houses, good schools for my two little ones). Are there any other areas that we should consider? Highly rated schools and low crime are top priority. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 02:25 PM

212 posts, read 459,545 times
What is your budget?

Old 08-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
What is your budget?
We would prefer to stay around/under $350K but do have some wiggle room.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:14 PM

212 posts, read 459,545 times
Best best is to do a search for houses in zip codes 75080 and 75082. All are in Richardson and 75082 mixes the best of both worlds with being based in Richardson while being zoned to Plano ISD schools. Zip codes 75080 will zone you to JJ Pearce which is fantastic as well.

You'll find plenty of good houses around $350k in those zip codes.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:23 PM

149 posts, read 306,861 times
The alternative to the Plano/Richardson area for good schools, low crime & access to DART rail would be Coppell and the Valley Ranch portion of Irving zoned to Coppell ISD, though $350K doesn't go as far there as it would in Collin County. Those areas are within a short drive (~5 miles or 15 minutes during rush hour) to the Green and Orange line stations off of Belt Line Road in Carrollton and Irving respectively.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo81 View Post
The alternative to the Plano/Richardson area for good schools, low crime & access to DART rail would be Coppell and the Valley Ranch portion of Irving zoned to Coppell ISD, though $350K doesn't go as far there as it would in Collin County. Those areas are within a short drive (~5 miles or 15 minutes during rush hour) to the Green and Orange line stations off of Belt Line Road in Carrollton and Irving respectively.
Thank you for that information! I appreciate it! I am looking more for areas within Plano/Richardson that we could consider. My job will likely be in that area, so I would like to limit our search to that.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:54 PM

149 posts, read 306,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblondie View Post
... so I would like to limit our search to that.
Ah, sorry for misreading you there. I think the areas described already in Richardson are probably your best bet. There is absolutely nothing wrong with East and Central Plano, but the Northern area of Richardson is probably a step ahead - mostly due to period when the areas developed (North Richardson is more recent). The only drawback I can think of is that Richardson property taxes will be a bit higher than Plano taxes. With State Farm's new HQ coming in, resale values should really increase in the Richardson panhandle.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
A $350k budget will stretch MUCH further in 75080 than in 75082. Just sayin'.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 PM

73 posts, read 183,027 times
Yes, if you're willing to go with an older house that's been redone, you can get a lot of house for $350k in 75080. Check out the Arapaho Heights/Waterview or Reservation neighborhoods, which sit south and north of Arapaho between Floyd and Coit. We have been in the area for a decade and love it, and our kids attend Arapaho Classical Magnet, which is an excellent elementary school (it's a magnet for the district but also the zoned neighborhood school for Arapaho Heights). You might also find options in the Canyon Creek neighborhood, which is excellent but may be difficult in terms of finding houses within your price range.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netfrog View Post
Yes, if you're willing to go with an older house that's been redone, you can get a lot of house for $350k in 75080. Check out the Arapaho Heights/Waterview or Reservation neighborhoods, which sit south and north of Arapaho between Floyd and Coit. We have been in the area for a decade and love it, and our kids attend Arapaho Classical Magnet, which is an excellent elementary school (it's a magnet for the district but also the zoned neighborhood school for Arapaho Heights).
Waterview Preservation (RHS), Canyon Creek (Pearce HS), and Heights Park/Heights Park Estates (RHS) are also all safe bets. Stay in the 800 block of Heights Park streets or on Thompson; those houses are larger and so are the lots. Lockwood also has some gorgeous houses on large lots, and the street was just resurfaced so you'll avoid that headache too. Once you go east of Floyd (500 and 600 blocks) the houses get a lot smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas