U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 AM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Frisco isnt that far from Dallas. I live off the tollway near George Bush and I make it to downtown in about 18 minutes at 6:30am. Frisco is only another 10 minutes up the tollway.

If you have $500k to spend on a home you can still get something really nice a lot closer than Frisco. You may not get 2 acres but really who needs that much land anyway.

And Im sure most the people that live way up in the northern burbs probably work somewhere up there. There are lots of huge companies in the northern parts of DFW.

No
Prosper is 34 miles north of downtown Dallas. I consider that far, don't you??!

Also, rush hour starts closer to 7am. Not everyone can leave for work at the crack of dawn due to kids, etc. Your commute would be 2-3x longer during real rush hour. One more thing- Frisco is just 10 more minutes north on the tollroad, but most people in Frisco live 10-25 minutes (with traffic) from the tollroad, so you have to tack that on, too. I have many coworkers who live in Frisco and whose spouse works in Galleria area, Preston Center, Uptown, and downtown and it is about an hour each way when starting from Lebanon & Legacy area of Frisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:17 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,486,895 times
google is your friend. Im sure you know how to use it.

And any home that costs $500k is going to be nice in the Dallas area. You can get nice homes for much less than that.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Prosper is 34 miles north of downtown Dallas. I consider that far, don't you??!
Yes I consider it far and I would never do that commute. I was answering the question abotu it being closer to Oklahoma than to Dallas.

I used to drive 2 miles to work everyday when I lived in Deep Ellum in a loft. But since having a child I moved to the burbs and have to suffer through my 20 minute commute from Plano.

Im in the construction business so we start early in the morning and Im on the road heading home at 4pm at the latest. I love my hours.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 AM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
google is your friend. Im sure you know how to use it.

And any home that costs $500k is going to be nice in the Dallas area. You can get nice homes for much less than that.
Not true. Go look for a $500k home in the Park Cities (75225 & 75205), Preston Hollow (75229), or even Lakewood (75314) and tell me what you find. Ron, these three neighborhoods are the nicest in-town areas. All are about five miles or less from downtown, have good public schools or proximity to the good private schools, and are generally the most desirable neighborhoods. (Equivelent to Winnetka, but closer in).

Nice suburbs that are 10-20 miles out are Southlake, Coppell, Rockwall, parts of Richardson, and central and west Plano.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM

28 posts, read 62,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not true. Go look for a $500k home in the Park Cities (75225 & 75205), Preston Hollow (75229), or even Lakewood (75314) and tell me what you find. Ron, these three neighborhoods are the nicest in-town areas. All are about five miles or less from downtown, have good public schools or proximity to the good private schools, and are generally the most desirable neighborhoods. (Equivelent to Winnetka, but closer in).

Nice suburbs that are 10-20 miles out are Southlake, Coppell, Rockwall, parts of Richardson, and central and west Plano.

There are always exceptions to the rule. Of course there are some zipcodes that don't offer $500K homes, but they probably don't offer many <$1M homes either. While the statement "any area in Dallas" may not be 100% true, it's likely 90% true. You can literally go across the street from some of those zipcodes and you'll find what you're looking for (75206, 75219, 75230 etc.) It also depends on your definition of "nice."

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 AM

6720 Woodland Drive, Dallas, TX, 75225 - MLS #11244897 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

10709 Saint Lazare Drive, Dallas, TX, 75229 - MLS #11358044 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

looks nice to me.

I guess I have to be more specific here.... For roughly $500k you can find a nice home almost anywhere in Dallas.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,199,027 times
Any region's costs/commutes really depend on where is one's employer

Best parallel to Plano area is Naperville area....suspect many middle mgrs in Naperville drive to various cos. in 88 corridor...those unlucky folks who work in Loop have a sweaty or slushy 90min door-to-door, each-way mass transit/walk commute...much less civilized than a 90min drive from one's three car garage in suburbia in one's air conditioned, Bluetooth-enabled new Accord from OK to empty Downtown Dallas

Many who reside in Plano corridor work in Plano area or Irving and have free parking at suburban offices...Dallas fwys move much faster than stuff in Chic suburbs...and less winter weather slowdowns

And just like Naperville, W Plano is out of land so prices are fairly high for any new house on a likely tiny lot nr major office campuses

In Chic, highest income folks often work in Loop...and have ~35min drives from Eastern Winnetka or 15min drives from GoldCoast/LP (at traders' hours)

In Dallas, those types work in Uptown and live in PrestonHollow or HP

PH is about as costly land as Winnetka on SheridanRd lakefront; HP is similar to the new mansions of LP: massive new houses on puny, townhouse-like lots (even more costly land than PH on a per acre basis)

Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM

41 posts, read 80,477 times
As someone who has done both the Frisco-to-downtown-Dallas and the Chicago-suburbs-to-The-Loop commutes for several years each, perhaps I can help.

My Frisco commute to downtown Dallas is 26 miles door-to-desk with almost all of it (by design) on the Dallas North Tollway (DNT). Off-peak, say 6 AM or 4 PM, it's under 30 minutes. At peak, (7-8 AM or 5-6 PM) it's an hour +/- a few minutes. For Prosper (or other areas of Frisco), add 10-25 minutes depending on where you live relative to the DNT.

One difference as I see it is that Chicago driving commutes are almost never off-peak and one spends close to hour commuting by car for a 26-mile door-to-desk commute. Accordingly, many with a 26-mile door-to-desk Chicago commute (such as Lisle or Downers Grove to The Loop) end up taking the train for the majority of the trip. Such a commute also takes roughly an hour: ~30 minutes on an 'express' train plus time to the train & time walking from the train to work. So, in Chicago 26 miles to work almost always equals 1 hour.

If you can commute off-peak in the Metroplex, you can live 26 miles out, get a 'value' buy on a nice house, and have a 30 minute commute. If not, and you want to be within 30 minutes of work, you have to live closer to downtown.

Given that I have kids in 'public' school, there is NO WAY I'm buying a $500k house in the Dallas ISD to get that 30 minute commute unless I wanted to send my kids to a private school (or homeschool) and private schools are not cheap. Same goes schooling in the city of Chicago (with a couple of exceptions).

Top-flight public schools close to downtown Dallas generally means paying a price premium for Park Cities housing (i.e., the Highland Park School District), and Park Cities housing is just as expensive as, say, Evanston or Hinsdale. As I see it, you can pay big $$$ up front and get the Park Cities home or pay less up front for a Dallas ISD home and then pay each year for private school tuition. Both options are expensive.

My take: If you don't mind commuting an hour+ to & from work or can commute off-peak, Dallas does indeed have cheaper housing than Chicago. However, if you want to be within 30 minutes and cannot commute off-peak, Dallas housing isn't cheap unless you don't have kids in school or are willing to subject your kids to the disaster that is the Dallas ISD. Just my $0.02.

Go Blackhawks!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 AM

73 posts, read 243,823 times
Coming from the NY/NJ area I can tell you that the homes are bigger and much cheaper in the N.Dallas suburbs than they are back east. Unless you live in Manhattan and walk to work, it will take you an hour to commute, via the commuter rail, in to the city from the 5 boroughs or Eastern Nassau, Westchester, Bergen or Hudson counties. Plus you have to put up with a transfer to a bus or subway. The commute sucks in NY. This does not compare to sitting in your car and listening to the radio for an hour...and yes it will take you a hour to commute from Frisco to downtown Dallas during rush hour....I would rather spend my money on a car than spend the same money on train and subway tickets and I would rather spend $100 to $200 a square foot on a house in Dallas than $400 to $1,000 a square foot on a condo/house in NY/NJ ...with the added bonus of no state and local income tax.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,539,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketMaker View Post
As someone who has done both the Frisco-to-downtown-Dallas and the Chicago-suburbs-to-The-Loop commutes for several years each, perhaps I can help...

...My take: If you don't mind commuting an hour+ to & from work or can commute off-peak, Dallas does indeed have cheaper housing than Chicago. However, if you want to be within 30 minutes and cannot commute off-peak, Dallas housing isn't cheap unless you don't have kids in school or are willing to subject your kids to the disaster that is the Dallas ISD. Just my $0.02.

Go Blackhawks!

Very nice and objective comparison. I agree it comes down to what your wants, needs, and values are - and ultimately how you want to pay to realize them (not just money but also time, aggravation, comfort, and the intangibles that will vary from person to person).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or