U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:38 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,994,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzy View Post
Those houses in Dallas look average to me. Here's a couple from Plano which are newer, bigger and cheaper with good schools. Personally I would be buy anything built before 1990 cause they start to fall apart sooner or later.3901 Hearst Castle Way Plano, Tx 75025-2011 - Dallas Homes for Sale

This home epitomizes why Plano is so popular -- super-nice home in a great neighborhood, close to a park, pond and library, plus exemplary, top-notch schools.

Plano also has great access to DART for downtown commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,548,752 times
I toured this REO house last week....absolutely pristine condition, beautiful neighborhood.

https://www.bidselect.com/PropertyDe..._action=CUSTOM

Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 PM

173 posts, read 326,171 times
I think the one thing that is not considered in comparing commute times in Dallas and Chicago suburbs is the availability of public transportation in Metro Chicago. We live in Winnetka and the door to office time on the train is 30 minutes--no hassle, read the paper, work on the laptop and you are there! Runs frequently during rush hour and cheaper that paying for gas and parking. The majority of our friends in Winnetka (and the NS) are "train boys" due to the convenience. Most of the stations are walkable from housing.

We also have a place in Uptown and Dallas traffic can be horrific at any time of the day, but the housing is a bargain, even in the 75205-25-29 burbs! FYI - 595 in Winnetka will get you a teardown on a 50X170 lot, not on the east side, but it all feeds to New Trier School District so not a issue for some...

Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,797,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I imagine if your buying a house thats worth $500k then your children are probably already going to private school no matter where you decide to live.
-1 (Actually, I think we're now at -3.)

I live in such a neighborhood. I bought the house there specifically BECAUSE of the public school district. Everyone on my side of the block has their kids in Plano ISD schools, both West and Central clusters. My neighbor just picked up her Plano Senior diploma. (Curiously, everyone on the other side of the block has their kids in private schools. Go figure.)

So yeah, there's a increase in the number of private school kids, but you'll find plenty of public school kids in high-value areas (outside of DISD, of course). In my personal situation, I have no interest in religious schools, and my kid's academic talents (specifically high ability in math) are actually better accomodated in the PISD system than they would be in private school.

The expensive areas of Frisco, Prosper, etc. would be even more likely to have public school kids. There are few private options in Collin County, and the commute to the North Dallas private schools is even longer than it is from Plano.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 PM

23,618 posts, read 31,183,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I agree- these are lovely homes. Just be sure to tack on $20-30k per year per child in private school tuition because the publich schools in Preston Hollow are not great.

75225 and 75229 aren't even Preston Hollow so the schools won't even be as good.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,557,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
I bought my home in Wylie in November 2009 for $210k, built in 2005, 6 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 3700 sq. ft. Moved from CA and yes I am a happy camper, only 25 miles from my Dallas office and 30 miles from Downtown Dallas.
That's a nice sized home.............do you live alone?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 PM

11,680 posts, read 21,258,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
75225 and 75229 aren't even Preston Hollow so the schools won't even be as good.
My bad- I meant to say 75220 for Old Preston Hollow (estate area)...but 75225 north of Northwest Highway IS Preston Hollow- includes neighborhood from Tollroad (including the Rachofsky's two estates) east to Hillcrest.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,611,091 times
Keep in mind a big home = lots to clean, air condition and furnish. And with our 2.3 - 2.5% property tax rate, a $500K home has an $11.5K - 12.5K per year property tax bill. My wife and I are just too frugal and like living closer in - which is why we have a home shy of 2600 sq ft in Lake Highlands (plenty big enough for the two of us + 2 cats + room for an in-law if that ever were needed and even room for a kid-o should we decide to have one - and we have all these options without having to move - we hate moving). Our property taxes are about 60% of that $500K home, we have good schools and close proximity to downtown/arts district/uptown/knox-hendersen/white rock lake. We're close to our jobs and keep our expenses well below the average for our salaries. Neither of us would be happy with our quality of life if we had spent more or gotten a bigger home out in Frisco or Plano - but those are very personal choices we consciously made when chosing where to live and how much to live in.

If someone wants to spend $500K on a home - then $12K/yr on prop taxes - that's absolutely a personal decision - but I would personally have to be making $300-400K/year in household income to feel comfortable doing so. We focus way more on vacations and saving for retirement. Screw working.

Brian

Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 PM

864 posts, read 2,265,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
That's a nice sized home.............do you live alone?
Just my wife, cat and I. We love the space. It's nice to have a huge dirt cheap home newer home.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:52 AM

23,618 posts, read 31,183,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
My bad- I meant to say 75220 for Old Preston Hollow (estate area)...but 75225 north of Northwest Highway IS Preston Hollow- includes neighborhood from Tollroad (including the Rachofsky's two estates) east to Hillcrest.
The heart of Preston Hollow is generally considered to be north of Walnut Hill, south of Royal, east of the tollroad, and west of Hillcrest. That is the area of Preston Hollow that I grew up in and was the area that was still sometimes sending its children to public school when I was growing up (my parents sent me to private school).

Those other areas went private at least a couple of generations ago! And they're so far out of most peoples' price ranges that they're hardly worth discussing (unless you want to know where to go to see spectacular Christmas lights).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or