U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 AM

236 posts, read 1,025,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I'll be 22 when I graduate and don't have a job lined up. And the reason why I asked this question was because I at least want to know what it's like living in Dallas. If I was offered a job in Boise, Idaho, I probably would not take it just because it paid very well. I kind of would like to live in a city that I actually like. Why would I live in a city that I dislike even though I have a job?

I'm 23... just went through the grueling job hunt and got lucky. I agree you want to live in a city you may like... but you'll soon realize in this crap economy, it's not as easy as that. If you get a job in idaho paying $50k+.... you're gonna take it. You need the experience. There really isn't much leverage at this stage of your life. Get the experience no matter what city it's in... and then use that experience and maybe a few years down the road, use it as leverage.

Not saying getting a job in Dallas is impossible. I'm just saying you need to rethink your logic of "I have a list of cool cities I'd like to relocate to"

As a recent graduate, your mindset needs to be "I need to do anything to get a good entry level job and help further my career/future"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,540,319 times
Getting back on topic...

One of the biggest negatives for me is American Airlines' stranglehold on air travel in the area. Hopefully it will get better as the Wright Amendment phases out(2014). I have friends and relatives scattered across the country and whenever we plan vacations and get together in various domestic and international locations I routinely end up paying more for airfare. It could be I just don't look hard enough, but sometimes we'll connect in the same city for international flights and end up on the exact same flight (specifically oftentimes I'm comparing with people flying from Houston). Not a deal breaker for me, after all I do still live in the area, but it's extremely annoying to me.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 AM

22 posts, read 56,214 times
pros
1. a TON of restaurants (i'm a foodie). kick ass barbeque.
2. more pretty girls that i have ever seen in one place.
3. decent music scene.
4. a big enough city that you can find nearly anything.
5. very culturally diverse.

cons
1. summer weather sucks balls, hot & very humid.
2. mosquitos, rednecks, and various other creepy crawlies.
3. the most pretentious city culture aside from L.A.
4. traffic is terrible. absolutely terrible.
5. tollways. it's a personal vendetta i have against them.

just my 2 cents...i know lots of people that absolutely love it here.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantmonkey View Post
pros
1. a TON of restaurants (i'm a foodie). kick ass barbeque.
2. more pretty girls that i have ever seen in one place.
3. decent music scene.
4. a big enough city that you can find nearly anything.
5. very culturally diverse.

cons
1. summer weather sucks balls, hot & very humid.
2. mosquitos, rednecks, and various other creepy crawlies.
3. the most pretentious city culture aside from L.A.
4. traffic is terrible. absolutely terrible.
5. tollways. it's a personal vendetta i have against them.

just my 2 cents...i know lots of people that absolutely love it here.
This is my list exactly, except for the summer weather. I love the heat!

Dallas is a great place. Good food, very diverse, all the big city amenities, etc.

But Dallas' culture is pretentious. Most people here are not, but the culture is to a degree. Another con I would say is that the drug culture here is HUGE! Ive never partied in a place where people are so nuts about X and Cocaine. Even in places you wouldnt expect it. Coming from someone from LA, that says alot.

But that aside, I love DFW and wouldnt dream of living elsewhere!

Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM

229 posts, read 251,534 times
To the OP... contrary to others opinion of "just finding a job anywhere just to get experience" because anything less would be, in his words "retarded", to me he is telling you to live his life or to follow his path which to me based on his strong biting words seems very bitter. I moved from Indiana to the SF Bay Area when the .com crashes were happening all over in this area. While others tried to scare me off I didn't listen to them since lot most of what they were saying was less practical and more "scared of the unknown". Most of them never left the state, never took chances, but funny... talking with them now admire the move and wish they had did the same thing. At 24 my choices were north California (just temp/ contract job offers) and Arizona (where I had a good FT job offer) and I took CA and ended up with way better paying jobs and tons of experiences I'm so glad I made that choice. Nothing in life is going to be easy, and if your waiting for the perfect time to move then you never will since something will always pop up in the economy or world at the last second. If you live others lives then you blame others or always have regrets.

Nothing against you AndyATMCandy, since you do have some well thought out points in your argument about having a plan and not just getting a backpack and jumping to a city with nothing more than a "dream" but I love that the OP is asking for pros and cons and not 100% where the money is. I'm sure he's not basing all his decision on this post but it does help, as it will many more who will look at this post like I am now. I have family in Dallas that I love to be close to so I am also looking to relocate so yes besides looking for jobs I also posted here looking for tips, advice, pros and cons, etc since that's what you do since you want to hear from people WHO LIVE THERE what's it like, what to expect, etc before your initial visit. Why move to a city you absolute hate and make all that money to stay in and play Xbox 360? Ok.. I'm off my soapbox. LOL

Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 PM

166 posts, read 518,803 times
MichaelDante - Thanks for your input. I do realize that our nation's economy is in the absolute toilet right now, so I don't see how my area (middle Tennessee outside of Nashville) would be that much worse in other places. Besides from what I hear, the South's bigger cities (ATL, Dallas, Houston, Raleigh) aren't in that bad shape economically compared to the rest of the nation.

One thing I do notice is how everything is complaining about the weather. I was born in New Jersey, have family in Chicago, currently live in Tennessee and spent summer many times in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico specifically), so the "extreme" weather many are talking about is a bit funny. I mean I would have to say New York City has way more extreme weather considering heat waves aren't too uncommon in the summer and yet they average over a foot of snow in the winter months.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:05 PM

236 posts, read 1,025,128 times
I'm just saying as a recent college graduate struggling to find a job... IF you land one in idaho or wyoming paying 55k/year..... you're gonna take it. You need the experience.

To the OP... I'm assuming you're not just gonna pack up and go to a city jobless. If the point of these posts is to find out pros and cons and interesting facts/info about certain cities... then you're going to apply to jobs in that city... that's a good way to go at it.

Anyway, I'll come up with some pros and cons in a minute

Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM

95 posts, read 239,768 times
OK, first off as mentioned above the city setting should be sceondary to the job. If you find a great job you think you'd love, but in a city you think is 'meh', grab it. Being at a miserable or even so-so job in a 'great' city will not be a fun experience for long.

Second, from a non-native Texan who doesn't live in Dallas proper:

Pros:
1. Warm weather - yes the summers are hot...really hot, but unless you're from MN, or ND where 60 is a scorcher, you just deal with it. Pull up some shade and drink more water. The winters are mild compared to anywhere north. No more 20 days, no more 2 feet of snow sitting on the ground for weeks.

2. No state income tax! For us, even with higher property tax, we still came out ahead. This is almost certainly a plus unless you already live in a state without income tax.

3. Friendly people - Man do I mean friendly. In our first week here we had pleasant experiences at the Post Office and the DMV. THE D-freakin'-MV! Back in MD a trip to the DMV was only marginally better than a double root canal.

4. Cost of Living - Like other things, this depends on where you are now, but generally speaking the cost of living is very reasonable.

5. Wide open spaces - Being relatively flat, there a whole lot of blue sky to go around. Just makes me happier.

Cons:
1. Tollways - a way of life when there's no state income tax, but vastly more fair if you ask me. I pay for the roads I use, not all the ones in Texas I don't. And even then you have the option to drive the same exact route for free, but just hit a couple of stop lights along the way.

2. Growth - This could be a Pro I guess - all depends on your POV. But this area (DFW metroplex) is growing rapidly. As long as you recognize that and all that comes with it, you should be fine.

I can't come up with much more. Other people have put traffic and pretentiousness in the Con list. Traffic will be relative, but I have yet to experience any traffic that could be construed as a real Con.

As for pretentiousness - as I said I don't think I could have asked for nice people.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:44 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,607,989 times
Three pros/cons:

Pros:
- March
- April
- May

Cons:
- June
- July
- August

Hehe....

Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM

864 posts, read 2,264,450 times
My 5 Pros for living in DFW metro (not in order):

1.) Low COL

2.) Weather in Winter (not counting last winter which was an aberration)

3.) Movie theaters (everything from second run "dollar theaters" to Gold Class Cinemas [the ultimate First Class movie experience], with everything in between such as the Inwood and Angelika)

4.) No State Income Tax

5.) Northern Burbs have Verizon FIOS (ultra high speed fiber to the premises internet, but also TV and phone if you want it too)

My five cons to living in the DFW metro (in no order):

1.) People drive too slow (And use hand-held cell phones and text while driving). Too many times both my wife and I are ready to scream at people in front of us to drive faster, and by faster I mean driving the speed limit or up to 5 mph over. Too many times ALL OVER THE METRO we encounter someone doing 30 or less in a 35, 40 or less in a 45, 50 or less in a 55, etc. Many times, but not all, the odd "way slower than the speed limit" driver is talking on a hand-held cell phone or texting, which also ties into this con. For some reason TX can't ban use of hand-held cell phones/texting (only banned in school zones during times when kids are going to/from school), and even then, a law probably won't curtail the use enough (but it's a great an obvious start!).

2.) Summer weather (May - September), pretty brutal being hot just about every day.

3.) Way too many burger joints and donut shops all over the metro.

4.) DFW metro is a bit isolated in that the nearest large metros are hundreds of miles away at least. (The contrast is examples like New York and Philly which have many large metros within 250 miles). From DFW metro, 250 mile radius only gets you the Houston metro and Austin (not that's not really a large metro), 277 miles gets you San Antonio but after that it's a long distance until another large metro (And of course OKC isn't really a large metro a la DC/Boston/Philly/New York so I'm counting that).

5.) DFW metro lacks geographic beauty and world class museums.

Honorable mention Con: Restrictions at Love Field. I don't care that they may/will be repealed in several years, right now we are screwed because Southwest can't do non-stops to many places that it would like to and other good discount airlines like Jetblue can't really come here until the full repeal of the Wright Amendment. This allows American to dominate travel in and out of the metro via air, and screws over people here from real price wars due to lack of competition.

Last edited by pappy97; 06-09-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or