U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:49 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,304,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Honorable mention Con: Restrictions at Love Field. I don't care that they may/will be repealed in several years, right now we are screwed because Southwest can't do non-stops to many places that it would like to and other good discount airlines like Jetblue can't really come here until the full repeal of the Wright Amendment. This allows American to dominate travel in and out of the metro via air, and screws over people here from real price wars due to lack of competition.
Its unlikely that Jetblue will serve Love Field. All the gates are taken and have long term leases by Southwest, Delta, Continental, and American. Thats pretty much who will still be serving Love Field even after Wright goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,189,016 times
Pros-
Lots of good food
Clean city
Relatively mild winters
Traffic is going to be getting better with major freeway expansions taking place
Lots of pretty women

Cons-
Bad air quality much of the summer, although most big cities have that problem
Traffic cameras at almost every intersection in some municipalities
Lots of toll roads in Dallas and Collin counties
Not enough BIG trees for my taste
Can't think of a 5th con right now

As for the summer heat I see mentioned a lot, I really don't mind it. Grab something cold to drink and find some shade and its not that bad. I'd much rather deal with the 100's than the -20's. Humidity is really moderate most of the time here, I grew up in deep south Mississippi, so Dallas humidity is like a desert to me most of the year.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 AM

22 posts, read 56,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
But Dallas' culture is pretentious. Most people here are not, but the culture is to a degree.
most places i lived in dallas proper, the people were rude as hell. i just think dallas desperately wants to be L.A.

but, since i've moved out to the sticks...people are much nicer. it's an hour commute now, but it's worth it.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 AM

166 posts, read 519,192 times
Default Tennessee

I'm coming from Middle Tennessee. While the weather in Texas maybe hotter, I think I can handle it given my upbringing in the South.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,706,127 times
Good stuff:
economy better than most places
housing prices among best for metro areas in USA
if you rent then you benefit from no state income taxes (high property taxes)
you can leave the snow shovel behind
upbeat vibe here

Not so good stuff
The heat and humidity can be unbearable
no ocean
no mountains
pollution
less stuff "happening"...I think b/c the heat is so bad people tend to stay inside a lot
insufficient public transportation & incredible traffic delays

Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM

2,888 posts, read 4,124,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL70 View Post
OK, first off as mentioned above the city setting should be sceondary to the job. If you find a great job you think you'd love, but in a city you think is 'meh', grab it. Being at a miserable or even so-so job in a 'great' city will not be a fun experience for long.

Second, from a non-native Texan who doesn't live in Dallas proper:

Pros:
1. Warm weather - yes the summers are hot...really hot, but unless you're from MN, or ND where 60 is a scorcher, you just deal with it. Pull up some shade and drink more water. The winters are mild compared to anywhere north. No more 20 days, no more 2 feet of snow sitting on the ground for weeks.

2. No state income tax! For us, even with higher property tax, we still came out ahead. This is almost certainly a plus unless you already live in a state without income tax.

3. Friendly people - Man do I mean friendly. In our first week here we had pleasant experiences at the Post Office and the DMV. THE D-freakin'-MV! Back in MD a trip to the DMV was only marginally better than a double root canal.

4. Cost of Living - Like other things, this depends on where you are now, but generally speaking the cost of living is very reasonable.

5. Wide open spaces - Being relatively flat, there a whole lot of blue sky to go around. Just makes me happier.

Cons:
1. Tollways - a way of life when there's no state income tax, but vastly more fair if you ask me. I pay for the roads I use, not all the ones in Texas I don't. And even then you have the option to drive the same exact route for free, but just hit a couple of stop lights along the way.

2. Growth - This could be a Pro I guess - all depends on your POV. But this area (DFW metroplex) is growing rapidly. As long as you recognize that and all that comes with it, you should be fine.

I can't come up with much more. Other people have put traffic and pretentiousness in the Con list. Traffic will be relative, but I have yet to experience any traffic that could be construed as a real Con.

As for pretentiousness - as I said I don't think I could have asked for nice people.
Haha its so funny that you mention this because when I moved here I called everyone and was going on and on about how nice people were here even at the post office and the dmv which is unheard of anywhere else lol.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,915,382 times
Quote:
My 5 Pros for living in DFW metro (not in order):

1.) Low COL

2.) Weather in Winter (not counting last winter which was an aberration)

3.) Movie theaters (everything from second run "dollar theaters" to Gold Class Cinemas [the ultimate First Class movie experience], with everything in between such as the Inwood and Angelika)

4.) No State Income Tax

5.) Northern Burbs have Verizon FIOS (ultra high speed fiber to the premises internet, but also TV and phone if you want it too)

My five cons to living in the DFW metro (in no order):

1.) People drive too slow (And use hand-held cell phones and text while driving). Too many times both my wife and I are ready to scream at people in front of us to drive faster, and by faster I mean driving the speed limit or up to 5 mph over. Too many times ALL OVER THE METRO we encounter someone doing 30 or less in a 35, 40 or less in a 45, 50 or less in a 55, etc. Many times, but not all, the odd "way slower than the speed limit" driver is talking on a hand-held cell phone or texting, which also ties into this con. For some reason TX can't ban use of hand-held cell phones/texting (only banned in school zones during times when kids are going to/from school), and even then, a law probably won't curtail the use enough (but it's a great an obvious start!).

2.) Summer weather (May - September), pretty brutal being hot just about every day.

3.) Way too many burger joints and donut shops all over the metro.

4.) DFW metro is a bit isolated in that the nearest large metros are hundreds of miles away at least. (The contrast is examples like New York and Philly which have many large metros within 250 miles). From DFW metro, 250 mile radius only gets you the Houston metro and Austin (not that's not really a large metro), 277 miles gets you San Antonio but after that it's a long distance until another large metro (And of course OKC isn't really a large metro a la DC/Boston/Philly/New York so I'm counting that).

5.) DFW metro lacks geographic beauty and world class museums.

Honorable mention Con: Restrictions at Love Field. I don't care that they may/will be repealed in several years, right now we are screwed because Southwest can't do non-stops to many places that it would like to and other good discount airlines like Jetblue can't really come here until the full repeal of the Wright Amendment. This allows American to dominate travel in and out of the metro via air, and screws over people here from real price wars due to lack of competition.
A "pro" to choosing a City to live in is the fact it has Fios and movie theaters? I think someone is losing site of what this person is asking here.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM

864 posts, read 2,265,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
A "pro" to choosing a City to live in is the fact it has Fios and movie theaters? I think someone is losing site of what this person is asking here.
The persons asked about pros and cons, and for me FIOS and the wide variety of movie theaters are big pro's. They may not be for you, but they are for me and if someone is going to ask about pro's about Dallas vs. other metros, I am going to mention them and hype them up. When I was able to get a job here, I only looked at homes that had FIOS access and then when I discovered the movie theater situation (Which no one told me about), I was delighted. Since no one told me about it, I figured many here may not realize all the options which you don't find in many other metros, including LA/NY, so I spread the word.

I am from the SF Bay Area and HATED that the fact that 99.99% of the people there cannot get any fiber to the premises internet (such as FIOS) and never will because nobody wants to build it out there for a large enough number of people, and hate that not only are there not second run theaters there, there isn't anything like Gold Class Cinemas or even the Inwood (i.e., the Director's Lounge) either, not to mention anything like Regal Keystone 16's twilight showings (everyday, 4-6pm, every show is $4.75 and they have first run movies)

But thanks anyways for completely disrespecting my beliefs and opinions.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,263,103 times
Quote:
My 5 Pros for living in DFW metro (not in order):

1.) Low COL

2.) Weather in Winter (not counting last winter which was an aberration)

3.) Movie theaters (everything from second run "dollar theaters" to Gold Class Cinemas [the ultimate First Class movie experience], with everything in between such as the Inwood and Angelika)

4.) No State Income Tax

5.) Northern Burbs have Verizon FIOS (ultra high speed fiber to the premises internet, but also TV and phone if you want it too)

My five cons to living in the DFW metro (in no order):

1.) People drive too slow (And use hand-held cell phones and text while driving). Too many times both my wife and I are ready to scream at people in front of us to drive faster, and by faster I mean driving the speed limit or up to 5 mph over. Too many times ALL OVER THE METRO we encounter someone doing 30 or less in a 35, 40 or less in a 45, 50 or less in a 55, etc. Many times, but not all, the odd "way slower than the speed limit" driver is talking on a hand-held cell phone or texting, which also ties into this con. For some reason TX can't ban use of hand-held cell phones/texting (only banned in school zones during times when kids are going to/from school), and even then, a law probably won't curtail the use enough (but it's a great an obvious start!).

2.) Summer weather (May - September), pretty brutal being hot just about every day.

3.) Way too many burger joints and donut shops all over the metro.

4.) DFW metro is a bit isolated in that the nearest large metros are hundreds of miles away at least. (The contrast is examples like New York and Philly which have many large metros within 250 miles). From DFW metro, 250 mile radius only gets you the Houston metro and Austin (not that's not really a large metro), 277 miles gets you San Antonio but after that it's a long distance until another large metro (And of course OKC isn't really a large metro a la DC/Boston/Philly/New York so I'm counting that).

5.) DFW metro lacks geographic beauty and world class museums.

No world class museums????

The Nasher Center is home to one of THE greatest collections in the world. The DMA is awesome. The DSO, and the new Winspear Opera House are absolutely peerless.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 PM

166 posts, read 519,192 times
Actually pappy97, I appreciate your info on Dallas's movie theaters. I love going to the movies and watching both big blockbusters and low-budget, arthouse so Dallas having a large selection of cinemas is a big plus in my book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or