U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,454,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
This is my list exactly, except for the summer weather. I love the heat!

Dallas is a great place. Good food, very diverse, all the big city amenities, etc.

But Dallas' culture is pretentious. Most people here are not, but the culture is to a degree. Another con I would say is that the drug culture here is HUGE! Ive never partied in a place where people are so nuts about X and Cocaine. Even in places you wouldnt expect it. Coming from someone from LA, that says alot.

But that aside, I love DFW and wouldnt dream of living elsewhere!
Is the drug culture really that big? Maybe it's time to rethink where you go to party. God, I must be getting old. These crazy kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 AM

864 posts, read 2,269,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Actually pappy97, I appreciate your info on Dallas's movie theaters. I love going to the movies and watching both big blockbusters and low-budget, arthouse so Dallas having a large selection of cinemas is a big plus in my book
You are most welcome. It's one thing that shocked me about DFW, and even Dallas proper is that sometimes you have movies that say "NY/LA only" and they play in Dallas too!

There was a movie my friends [who live in the Bay Area] and I were looking forward to last year, the latest movie from the Broken Lizard Comedy Troupe, "The Slammin Salmon."

Turns out when it was released in Dec. 09, it only was put on 11 screens, and one of them was the Angelika in Dallas (And none in the SF Bay Area). So yeah I was pretty jacked about being able to see that movie in the theater when my friends back home had to wait for blu ray/dvd. Having had just moved from California, it was a big pro for me and continues to be so, especially the theater I was saying that has every show from 4-6pm every day for $4.75. I think that is technically Dallas proper too, but the North part of the city.

My favorite theaters (Thus far, in no order) are:

1.) Cinemark Hollywood USA 15 in Garland (15 screen second run theater? Are you kidding me? I guess this used to be a first run theater that's why it's 15 screens, tough to beat for $1-1.50 per show)
2.) Regal Keystone 16 in Dallas (4-6pm, everyday, all shows $4.75. It's a first run theater. When you want to a see a mainstream movie and don't care about whether it's digital, IMAX, or XD it's a deal that can't be beat)
3.) Cinemark 17 in Farmers Branch (The lone IMAX that shows mainstream movies [there is another IMAX theater, but it only shows documentaries])
4.) Cinemark West Plano (next to Cinemark Corporate HQ, this is the Cinemark flagship theater. All Digital (DLP) projection, and also XD, their counterpart to IMAX)
5.) Gold Class Cinemas in Fairview (only the sixth one in the nation, just opened in May, going there is a First Class Experience that feels like going to an upscale theater in NY or LA, simply ridiculous, especially the seating and atmosphere [no tweens!!])
http://www.goldclasscinemas.com/
6.) Angelika in Dallas (great theater with indie movies as well as some regular movies, also like Gold Class has alcohol you can order there and bring it)
7.) Inwood Theater in Dallas (great 3 screen theater with one of the screens being the Directors Lounge, where all seats are either sofas, loveseats, or beanbags, also serves alcohol too)

Now when a movie comes out, if it's indie we see at Angelika. If it's mainstream my wife and I talk about whether it's a $4.75 movie, a $1 movie, IMAX or XD, or need to see digital, or is it so long that we need to see it as Gold Class Cinemas so we can sit comfortably for the 2+ hour affair. Some crappy chick flick comes out and I say, "you wanna see that, huh?" My wife says, "yeah, but for a buck. Not even worth $4.75."

And now I just recently learned of another chain that is only in the outskirts of the metro but I am looking forward to making the trek to see how it goes, called Rave Motion Pictures:

http://www.ravemotionpictures.com/theateramenities.aspx

Quote:
At Rave Motion Pictures, we are dedicated to offering every patron the best movie-going experience possible. We want to you to be entertained in complete comfort. Therefore, every Rave Motion Pictures will boast the following state-of-the-art features:
  • 100% Digital Projection
  • 3D-Equipped Auditoriums
  • True Stadium Seating In All Auditoriums
  • Hi-Back Recliner Seats With Cup Holders And Arm Rests
  • 18 In. Stadium Risers
  • Innovative Digital Sound Systems
  • 48 Inches Of Leg Room Between Each Row
  • Top Of The Line Projector Equipment In Every Booth
  • Highest Quality Audio/Visual Monitors In The Lobby
  • Game Room Equipped With The Most Sophisticated Video Games
  • Multiple Full Service Concession Stands Featuring Coca-Cola Products
  • Well Trained And Friendly Staff
  • Party Room in Select Locations

Last edited by pappy97; 06-11-2010 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 04:07 AM

10,720 posts, read 16,883,872 times
5 Pros

1. Jobs
2. Schools
3. Cost of Living
4. Great Airport
5. Shopping

5 Cons

1. Evangelical presence
2. Southern tendencies - some racism, country music, good ole boy mentality
3. Weak Singles scene - young people get married and have families early here. Even the people who go out are rarely unattached and probably dating someone they met in high school
4. Flat- No Outdoor Recreational Activities, no mountains, no scenery
5. Isolated both culturally and geographically- Geographically, it's not located near any fun cities that you would aspire to travel to unless you consider Austin and Houston fun cities. Culturally, everyone you meet is from Texas. When I went out, almost everyone either went to some college in Texas or Oklahoma and were members of the same fraternity or sorrority (that's another Texas thing) A lot of people attended the same high school and knew each other from high school. It's very cliquish. It can be difficult to meet people if you are an outsider with no connections to Dallas.

Conclusion: if you are from the South, Dallas is ideal for you. If you are not from the South and are trying to live in a fun city, go elsewhere. FYI - I will be criticized by the same people on this forum and be told I'm a hater or troll etc. LANative will be one of these people. He claims to be from LA but thus far I'm not convinced that's the case.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-12-2010 at 04:18 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 04:23 AM

42,325 posts, read 49,965,724 times
Pros
1. No state income tax
2. Friendly people
3. Pretty good road systems (esp compared to other cities)
4. Variety of extreme weather without having to commit to it (like you get snow, but you don't get it so much you get sick of it; you get really, really hot days, but only a short time is it unbearable, etc)
5. Great amenities (shopping, groceries, restaurants, arts, theater, museums, zoos, lakes, dog parks, airport gets you nonstop to a jillion places, pro sports teams, lots of local universities, world class medical centers, etc)

Cons
1. Weather can actually vary by 40 degrees in the same day. I kid you not.
2. Illegals
3. Toll roads
4. Ummm...the scenery isn't all that spectacular, I suppose.
5. Ummm...ok, I am at work and I just asked around and no one can come up with more stuff they hate about Dallas. Sorry. Tried!
Oh, wait! Transients, esp from the west coast!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 AM

42,325 posts, read 49,965,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
5 Pros

1. Jobs
2. Schools
3. Cost of Living
4. Great Airport
5. Shopping

5 Cons

1. Evangelical presence
2. Southern tendencies - some racism, country music, good ole boy mentality
3. Weak Singles scene - young people get married and have families early here. Even the people who go out are rarely unattached and probably dating someone they met in high school
4. Flat- No Outdoor Recreational Activities, no mountains, no scenery
5. Isolated both culturally and geographically- Geographically, it's not located near any fun cities that you would aspire to travel to unless you consider Austin and Houston fun cities. Culturally, everyone you meet is from Texas. When I went out, almost everyone either went to some college in Texas or Oklahoma and were members of the same fraternity or sorrority (that's another Texas thing) A lot of people attended the same high school and knew each other from high school. It's very cliquish. It can be difficult to meet people if you are an outsider with no connections to Dallas.

Conclusion: if you are from the South, Dallas is ideal for you. If you are not from the South and are trying to live in a fun city, go elsewhere. FYI - I will be criticized by the same people on this forum and be told I'm a hater or troll etc. LANative will be one of these people. He claims to be from LA but thus far I'm not convinced that's the case.
Az! How are ya? Long time no see!

I would have to disagree about the churchie/evangelical thing. Yeah, lots of people go to church, but it's never been an 'in-your-face' kind of thing in the 20 years I have been here. I am not a christian and I don't go to church, and I haven't been slammed or questioned or not befriended by anyone bc of it.

I agree completely about the scenery thing. But there are tons of outdoor activities like hiking (many nearby parks and lakes), biking, water sports are HUGE, lots of adult rec leagues for bball, softball, volleyball, football, etc.

Almost all of my friends here got married and had kids in their late 20s or early-mid 30s.

Some say geographic isolation is a con. I say it's a pro, especially when I have a great airport with all sorts of nonstop flights all over the country, europe, hawaii, etc.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:17 AM

967 posts, read 1,560,265 times
1) Jobs
2) Easy to get around
3) Low cost of living
4) Big airport
5) People leave you alone and let you tend to your business

Cons

1) Bleak, depressing prairie landscape
2) Unbearable weather for a good part of the year
3) Lousy place to live if you're African-American (particularly a progressive-minded/conscious one), and/or single
4) Provincial mindset of locals (but that's really a more Texan, rather than a Dallas thing)
5) Isolated location - When you want to go to another city or look at natural beauty it's not really convenient to drive. It's so much more convenient for me to go to NYC or VA Beach at the drop of a hat than it was for me to go to Houston or Austin

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 06-12-2010 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Is the drug culture really that big? Maybe it's time to rethink where you go to party. God, I must be getting old. These crazy kids.
The main freeway through Dallas runs to Mexico, and there is a major East-West highway that funnels traffic to California.

Transportation hubs such as Dallas or places that are between major cities are usually huge drug zones. Fresno is a known drop zone due to it being midway between LA and SF.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 06-12-2010 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 11:29 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,357,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Get over yourself dude. Quit making this personal. I would never have responded to your post if you didnt bring me into it. All of this is a matter of opinion. Opinions cant really be wrong or right.

Perfect example. Overcooked Oatmeal shares the same opinions about Dallas as you. She is just as vocal. But she has never made it a point to attack me personally over and over the way you have. Therefore even though I dont agree with her opinions, I can respect her opinions. When you make it personal against me, I draw the line.

As for questioning my residency, just stop. Im not going through this again with you. I have been honest about that. This isnt supposed to a personal forum.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 06-12-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,454,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
The main freeway through Dallas runs to Mexico, and there is a major East-West highway that funnels traffic to California.

Transportation hubs such as Dallas or places that are between major cities are usually huge drug zones. Fresno is a known drop zone due to it being midway between LA and SF.

Be that as it may, if drugs are so freely flowing at parties, one should probably rethink where one is partying. Just saying. Iwas responding to this:

Quote:
I've never partied in a place where people are so nuts about X and Cocaine.
Where I've "partied" drugs aren't even on the radar, or even brought up in discussions, except for maybe EPO. ;-)

Old 06-12-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Get over yourself dude. Quit making this personal. I would never have responded to your post if you didnt bring me into it. All of this is a matter of opinion. Opinions cant really be wrong or right.

Perfect example. Overcooked Oatmeal shares the same opinions about Dallas as you. She is just as vocal. But she has never made it a point to attack me personally over and over the way you have. Therefore even though I dont agree with her opinions, I can respect her opinions. When you make it personal against me, I draw the line.

As for questioning my residency, just stop. Im not going through this again with you. I have been honest about that. This isnt supposed to a personal forum.
Thanks man.

Also, a poster from Arizona has a lot of nerve trying to call Texas out on it's racism. Pot, meet kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or