Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,599,993 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone has seen this. I was walking down by Riverscape the other day for lunch (if anyone hasn't been down there yet, check it out, it is beautiful) and a co-worker told me about this video. I was recently on a two month business trip. I work in public relations for Caresource, and I visited small, medium, and large cities. Dayton, for a medium sized city is doing wonders with its downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Comparing it to other cities around the Midwest and East Coast, I am very happy with the way Dayton is moving.

So here's the video:

YouTube - The Greater Downtown Dayton Plan (First Cut)

Tell me what you think, and where you see these great plans going in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 07:01 AM

116 posts, read 382,851 times
I happen to know that in terms of the plan, there is a ton of energy currently being focused on making the river navigable for kayaks and canoes. I'm not sure if that means taking out the low-dams entirely or building safe "chutes", but now that Riverscape Phase III is complete, I believe Five Rivers MetroParks has moved much of its focus on the river itself.

As for the rest of downtown, it won't be easy but I think we have bottomed out - which is a positive thing. Many of the major buildings have gone through foreclosure and/or changed hands, selling for practically nothing (I heard the former Mead Tower sold for around a million, and the former Key Bank building sold for less than that - crazy for buildings that size). The new owners have stated they are serious about turning these buildings around, and since they bought them for next to nothing they can offer very competitive lease rates and invest in building improvements.

Getting more people in the suburbs to believe in downtown is a different story though, as The Greene seems to be the region's new downtown. And look for the Austin Road development to start looking more and more like The Greene South.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the information. What is the cities tallest building called?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:05 AM

164 posts, read 379,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Thanks for the information. What is the cities tallest building called?
It's the Kettering Tower, 29 stories tall.

Details here...
Kettering Tower, Dayton - SkyscraperPage.com

More details on all the buildings downtown...
Dayton - SkyscraperPage.com

Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 PM

Thank you for the info. I work downtown and never even bothered to learn the name. Has anyone looked into new housing going in downtown?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:13 PM

390 posts, read 1,042,514 times
There are a lot of residential offerings downtown. What's great is...downtown is a great market to invest in right now. Why? Because so many are starting to invest in this market. Plenty of old buildings are being refurbished like never before. Projects like the Canal Block Litehouse Homes, as well as the Merc, some older buildings around Second Street, and the Excelsior Lofts are being worked on as I type and will be finishing up soon. In the past month abut five Lithouse Townhomes have been sold and built. On top of this, there are plans to place mid rises and high rises along the river within the next year to 18 months. One example is River's Edge, a high end condominium tower that will be 17 floors and will have a grocery market in it's base. Old buildings near Sinclair like the Schwind Tower are being revamped, adding plenty of student housing downtown. Many other projects are attracting business downtown, too like the new Caresource Building and the new addition to Riverscape. The ballpark continues to thrive, Oregon District and Wright-Dunbar have started to actually grow even more since the recession because downtown Dayton has one of the most affordable housing markets. And more jobs are being thrown in the mix- neighborhoods like Tech Town, Ball Park Village, Parkside Redevelopment, McPherson Town, and Terra Cotta continue to add new businesses bringing the vancancy rate to a 25 year low. In the next decade, Dayton will most definitely, and I can say with confidence, transform into a vibrant 18-hour true urban district. I highly suggest moving downtown!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:30 PM

I work for Caresource, and can tell you, we are a company on the GROW! We are experiencing some great times.

I hope some of those projects you mention happen. They sound awesome. Do you have any links?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 AM

18 posts, read 63,250 times
I looked at most of the larger downtown apartment options when I was looking for an apartment last month. My sense of the market is that it's pretty robust for 1 bedrooms--some places (like the Landing) had no one bedrooms available and a large waiting list, others generally had maybe one or two available, but they weren't available for at least a month. The market for 2 bedroom units is a little less robust; these seemed to be available in most buildings that had more than a few. Those new lofts on 3rd St/Merchants row are fabulous (pretty small, so I couldn't fit, but I'd have jumped on them if I didn't have too much stuff).

In general, I quite liked Downtown Dayton. Some great buildings, and a good vibe. I ended up getting a place to live just outside of the core downtown (in the Oregon District) but overall I liked what I saw. I'm now cautiously optimistic about my impending move to Dayton...(now I just need to get my drivers license and a car...Getting used to a car culture is the one thing that stresses me out!)

Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacheverell View Post
I looked at most of the larger downtown apartment options when I was looking for an apartment last month. My sense of the market is that it's pretty robust for 1 bedrooms--some places (like the Landing) had no one bedrooms available and a large waiting list, others generally had maybe one or two available, but they weren't available for at least a month. The market for 2 bedroom units is a little less robust; these seemed to be available in most buildings that had more than a few. Those new lofts on 3rd St/Merchants row are fabulous (pretty small, so I couldn't fit, but I'd have jumped on them if I didn't have too much stuff).

In general, I quite liked Downtown Dayton. Some great buildings, and a good vibe. I ended up getting a place to live just outside of the core downtown (in the Oregon District) but overall I liked what I saw. I'm now cautiously optimistic about my impending move to Dayton...(now I just need to get my drivers license and a car...Getting used to a car culture is the one thing that stresses me out!)
Congrats on finding a place, and in if you need any info of any kind, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 PM

390 posts, read 1,042,514 times
NEIGHBORHOODS
Welcome to Wright Dunbar, Inc. | Wright Dunbar
Dayton Tech Town
Oregon Arts District - Home
McPherson Town Historic District
Home :: RiverScape MetroPark
Official Site of The City of Dayton, Ohio

LOFTS
Downtown Dayton Partnership
Park Place Lofts - Luxury living in downtown Dayton
Dayton Centerville Condos Condominiums (http://www.thatcondoguy.com/condo.php?pg=zoom&id=76 - broken link)
Digital's Noise: Urban Lofts in Downtown Dayton #1
High-rise condos slated for downtown Dayton - Dayton Business Journal
Welcome to Excelsior Lofts
Mercantile Lofts developer offers to pay mortgage, fees for a year - Business First of Louisville (http://dayton.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2009/04/27/story4.html - broken link)
The Merc approaches start date - Dayton Business Journal

ARTS
Victoria Theatre Association - Ohio Performing Arts | Wicked | Dayton Attractions | Performance Theatre | Performance Venue | Dayton Attractions
The Dayton Art Institute
America's Packard Museum - The Citizens Motorcar Company
Dayton Visual Arts Center | art for the community and a community for artists

EDUCATIONAL HUBS
Sinclair Community College
Miami-Jacobs Career College
University of Dayton - HOME
Wright State University - Dayton, Ohio

SPORTS and RECREATION
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Dayton Dragons Homepage
daytonflyers.com: Home
Wright State University - Official Athletic Site
The Official Website - Dayton Gems
Welcome to the official website of Dutch Lions FC (http://www.dutchlionsfc.com/cms/ - broken link)
Dayton Area Rugby Club - The Flying Pigs!
ECHL.com | Dayton Bombers (http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/ppublic.cgi?action=show_team&team_id=9 - broken link)
Team Dayton Soccer Club-Team News
Sinclair Athletics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton