Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 AM

82 posts, read 165,599 times

Advertisements

Money Magazine, 2007 (84th) best places to live. Please before you move there, really look around the back streets, look for Code violations, you will see many, ex, junk vehicles, junk on the side of houses, etc. All of this will decrease you property value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 AM

390 posts, read 1,047,485 times
It only got this because the area is booming. It could have gotten top ten if it was pretty. But Beavercreek IS booming. It's population has nearly doubled in the past two decades and it has so many jobs. Wright-Patt Air Force Base, Wright-State University, two malls, in between Cincinnati and Dayton and close to the city. It just got that rating because it is doing so well. I agree though that people need to take care of that junk. Beavercreek could be an amazing suburb if it started enforcing code better and focused on getting a second or at least an expanded high school.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 AM

390 posts, read 1,047,485 times
I also wanted to mention that Dayton suburbs are alot better than alot of other citys' suburbs. If you look at Cleveland, Toledo, Columbus, or Cincinnati you end up with some bland suburbs. a few nice ones, but mostly commercial. Dayton has alot of great suburbs, really, that actually have character and charm. Beavercreek isn't our best suburb, either. It's just big and commercial. I don't even know if you'd say top three. Really, Oakwood is the best. Yellow Springs is pretty amazing, too. Vandalia is growing alot too because the airport is expanding so much and there are alot of jobs around the interchange, there, and it still has maintained a small charm. Tipp City is similar to this too. and Troy, Centerville, Germantown, and Piqua are actually very nice as well and have an old downtown. Honestly, I think it's clear that Money Magazine ranks there best places to live on variables like size, growth, and education, not community, charm, and happiness....because if they did Dayton would have at least ten suburbs on that list ahead of Beavercreek.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:24 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,326 times
Personally, as a long time Beavercreek resident, I'd say the problem you are pointing out is only in 10-15% of the neighborhoods. Trust me, drive through much of East Dayton, or better yet, West Dayton, and then rethink what you are saying. I hate picking on the city, but it is in much worse shape than Beavercreek. A vast majority of neighborhoods and residents take pride in their homes and neighborhoods in Beavercreek. Basically, point is, don't paint with such a broad brush. I've been through some much "trashier" looking neighborhoods in Kettering and even parts of Bellbrook. But both also have some amazingly well kept neighborhoods with huge houses that can run into the seven figures. The same can be said for Beavercreek. I think with Beavercreek there is a perception among city leaders and other high power people. that it is more "rural" still than Kettering/Oakwood/Centerville, especially with older, long-time residents. While I don't think this "rural" aspect is no longer the case for much of the city and even some parts of the township, it is much less dense than Kettering/Oakwood. Also, I couldn't imagine Beavercreek residents wanting to pay for upkeeping medians such as those on Stroop and Far Hills in Kettering/Oakwood. They can be stingy with their tax dollars.

That stinginess with tax monies also will be part of the reason why there will not be a second high school anytime soon. While Ferguson will be replaced by a new middle school, thus making the current building a 9th grade only school, there will never be a new/second high school. The other reason is the perceived divide this would create in the community. Perhaps when the current high school becomes overcrowded with 10th-12th graders, then they will be forced to build a new building.

As for the commercialization point, yes, I'll agree parts of Beavercreek (Mall of Fairfield Commons area, around The Greene) can be overly commercialized. While this has been seen by some as a drag on the local area's "ruralness", it still tends to be rather sucessful as the vacancy rates are low. One exception I will mention is the trend towards more second-rate and flea-market retailers at Fairfield Commons as they have bled a lot of stores to The Greene (or there are duplicate stores, i.e. Victoria Secret and Am Eagle). However, there is a great draw in terms of sales taxes which has been both positive and negative for the region.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
Money Magazine, 2007 (84th) best places to live. Please before you move there, really look around the back streets, look for Code violations, you will see many, ex, junk vehicles, junk on the side of houses, etc. All of this will decrease you property value.
Are you kidding me?! I laughed out loud when I read this. This place is an awesome place to live. It obviously gets rated highly to live in for a reason...

I would hate for you to travel the country and see what is out there. From my many residences back home in Philly, etc. You sound too narrow-minded, and set on making Beavercreek look bad because you see a few problems in which you see all over the damn country. Beavercreek is exploding in population for a reason.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 PM

You guys are all right, but with an exploding population you would think there would more than ONE City CODE inspector. Like I said, take a hard LOOK, hit a few back streets. The City needs to invest in the town.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 AM

42,000 people in Beavercreek, 1 City CODE Inspector, you do the math. Correct, things on the surface seem nice, but again, hit a few back streets.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Are you kidding me?! I laughed out loud when I read this. This place is an awesome place to live. It obviously gets rated highly to live in for a reason...

I would hate for you to travel the country and see what is out there. From my many residences back home in Philly, etc. You sound too narrow-minded, and set on making Beavercreek look bad because you see a few problems in which you see all over the damn country. Beavercreek is exploding in population for a reason.
So I guess Philly was junk from day one, it happened over time. Just like it's happening here. What I'm saying is the CITY needs to revamp and enforce CODES, so it dose'nt happen.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
So I guess Philly was junk from day one, it happened over time. Just like it's happening here. What I'm saying is the CITY needs to revamp and enforce CODES, so it dose'nt happen.
What are you talking about? You are taking things way too far out of context. Who ever said Philly was junk? To me, it is the best city in the world.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Sorry, but the last time I was there the City looked pretty bad, graffiti, trash on the streets, and dilapidated houses. Just don't want that to happen here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton