Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

I'm naturally inquisitive and love to spend free time cruising around to different communities across this nation of ours via the "Bird's Eye View" feature on Bing Maps. I've always been curious about Ohio and really enjoyed a brief jaunt to Cincinnati a few summers ago to visit a friend. I've heard that Xenia was hit pretty hard by a tornado a few decades ago, so I wanted to see if this historic city had any remnants of "history" left to it.

I'm supposing the city's original "downtown" area was centered around the intersection of Main (U.S. Route 42) and Detroit (U.S. Route 68), as there seems to be some beautiful historic building (county courthouse? city hall?) on the NE corner. Apparently this structure survived the tornado. Directly across Main Street is one small block of cute-looking storefronts along East Main Street along with one block along South Detroit Street. Then there's the downright ugly---the Xenia Square Shopping Center, which features a HUGE surface parking lot facing Main Street with what looks to be a run-down strip mall featuring a KMart, Fulmer, Hallmark, and Rite-Aid with a KFC, Arby's, and a few drive-thru banks fronting Main Street. I have a feeling I already know my answer, but was this monstrosity laid out as a "solution" after the tornado destroyed the beautiful older buildings that probably once stood here? There's also a pair of ugly mid-rise buildings flanking the western edge of the strip mall (nursing homes?) Continuing down West Main Street are more chain restaurants, gas stations, parking lots, etc.
Further down East Main Street all I see are parking lots and so-so homes.

I notice there are some very attractive historic-looking buildings throughout the town as well, though, that apparently survived the tornado. There's a building on the NE corner of East Church & Edison that looks like a library or a post office. There's a beautiful stone church and some adjoining historic homes along East Market Street.

I didn't start this thread to make a mockery of your community. I just genuinely wanted to know if the lack of any identifiable downtown business district I see is indeed the direct result of the tornado, and, if so, why the town took the "cheap" way out via those ugly parking lots and strip malls instead of rebuilding its history? I'm a native of a small town near Scranton, PA that also tore down half its downtown for parking lots, fast-food places, drive-thru banks, etc., and now that they realize they should have instead worked towards historic preservation it's too late.

Do you all think Xenia would be supportive of that Xenia Town Square strip mall being razed and replaced with one of those newer faux "lifestyle centers" you see in the suburbs of many parts of the country? I can envision three-story brick, stone, and tudor-styled buildings fronting West Main Street between North Detroit and Church Streets. These buildings would house ground-level retail stores, restaurants, and offices with condos/apartments in the upper two floors. There can be an underground garage for parking. The parcel is plenty large enough for a large park, and to complement the existing low-density residential neighborhood along West Church Street to the rear of the property maybe new single-family homes (or townhomes) with rear off-street parking via an alleyway would work?

I just explored Xenia online and thought back to how beautiful it must have been at one point in time before the tornado hit. Now other than those two immediate blocks near the center of town it looks like the rest of the community largely went the route of "urban renewal" and suburbanization, both of which are curse words in my dictionary for a once-proud historic city. I think real estate redevelopment is going to be a future career path of mine, and a site like this seems like a prime opportunity. Why hasn't this parcel been redeveloped yet? Do people in Xenia find this massive strip mall downtown to be attractive? Is the town too poor to consider anything better? It just seems like Xenia is the type of place that has so much to offer but has been forgotten about.

"Downtown" Xenia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 AM

Here's an example of what I envision when I was talking about the south side of West Church Street being lined with single-family homes with rear-alley access to parking. In the case of the property in question I'd make the homes two-story, more colorful, and slightly more spread apart so as not to overwhelm the existing residential development on the north side of West Church and to provide a good "buffer" to the commercial components of the redevelopment. These homes I photographed are in a new subdivision south of town along Wright Avenue and Cannondale Avenue (behind a church along U.S. Route 42). The strip of homes along the south side of West Church would have small backyards, and a rear alley that would also service the rear of three-story townhomes facing a park behind the businesses fronting the revamped West Main Street.

I wish I could somehow draw a picture in my head of this.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
Xenia did have a traditional downtown and it was centered exactly where current appearances would suggest, at the corner of Detroit Avenue and Main Street. The thing is, what a person from a larger city would consider a downtown is generally not on the same scope in a small city like Xenia.

All of the new development, including the shopping center, that you're describing are blocks that were razed after the 1974 tornado hit the town.

I don't know if there would be any support for the kind of redevelopment that you're suggesting. Most area people have gotten used to Xenia as it is now and the demographics of the town argue against high end developments right in town.

Here, I found this - a collection of "before and after" photos of Xenia architecture relative to the tornado: http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/...bumPage01.html

This picture shows the downtown city hall tower visible in the distance, and illustrates exactly why redeveloped Xenia architecture in town sucks so badly today.

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/...bumPage04.html

Last edited by Ohioan58; 10-01-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-01-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Xenia did have a traditional downtown and it was centered exactly where appearances would suggest, at the corner of Detroit Avenue and Main Street. All of the new development that you're describing are blocks that were razed after the 1974 tornado hit the town.

I don't know if there would be any support for the kind of redevelopment that you're suggesting. Most area people have gotten used to Xenia as it is now and the demographics of the town argue against high end developments right in town.
Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I was presuming that this was the case in that the aerial image I photographed used to be more of the city's traditional downtown business district. Unfortunately the 1960s and 1970s were a very bad time when the words "urban renewal" meant very different things. Back then the focus was on making every new development cater to the automobile first and to pedestrians and conformance to the surrounding neighborhoods second. As I said I don't mean to "pick on" Xenia here since my hometown of Pittston, PA did the same exact thing. We even used to have a "Flatiron Building" right in our Downtown that I now believe houses a parking lot. A historic church was just torn down for another parking lot. In this case the tornado may have leveled all that once stood on the site, but I can't for the life of me envision that nobody "misses" what used to be Downtown Xenia.

I'm not some opportunist developer type looking to take advantage of or swindle a town. I just look to the newest wave of "urban renewal" being tearing down places like Xenia Square and replacing them with close retrofits of what used to be traditional "town centers." Near me here in Northern Virginia the area grew very quickly and never thought ahead for anything, so now they are putting up these "faux downtowns" everywhere to give people a place to stroll around, grab a bite to eat, see a movie, sit on a park bench, do some shopping, etc. A lot of people in America are now realizing that they miss the sort of cute downtown environments that prior generations used to enjoy, so that's why I broached this subject with Xenia.

Admittedly I've never been to Xenia (just Cincinnati, Anderson Township, and whatever township houses Jungle Jim's to the north side of the city). However, when I look at that pretty building on the NE corner of Detroit & Main and the dozen or so historic storefront still intact I can't help but feel a sense of "loss" for what used to be on the site of this strip mall that the tornado destroyed.

I'm pretty unhappy in Northern Virginia, and Ohio has been one of several states I've been considering for relocation. Dayton has crept up onto my radar, which is why I poked around in Xenia. I felt my heart sink on behalf of the residents when I saw this huge parking lot literally across the street from a historic building.

I know most of these newer faux "town centers" are high-end, but I'm not necessarily advocating for that, given the demographic make-up of Xenia. The buildings fronting Main Street would be built to closely resemble the existing storefronts across from the courthouse/city hall so that the downtown would seem to "flow" instead of suddenly hitting parking lots and fast-food places. The storefronts would be home to 90% mom-and-pop stores and local eateries and 10% chains (preferably ones unique to the region to generate interest in people coming into town from surrounding areas). The existing Hallmark and other small stores in the strip mall could find a new home in the storefronts. K-Mart would be kaput, but maybe they could build a new store outside of town (the business overall isn't doing that hot anyways, though). The park right behind the stores (and atop the underground parking garage) would have a covered outdoor skating rink that would double as a bandshell in the warmer months with free concerts. There could be "jumping fountains" for the kids to run through and enjoy on warmer days. There would be annual events here aimed to bring the town together. The dead-center of the new "old" buildings along the north side of West Main would have a large arched entry between two buildings for access into the rear park. Behind the park would be a small side street fronted by three-story middle-class townhomes. Then you'd have a rear alley that would service both those townhomes and the two-story single-family detached homes along the south side of West Church.

I really need to draw a picture and somehow scan it in to show you what I'm envisioning. It would be much more aesthetically-appealing than the existing strip mall, cater to a middle-class/working-class demographic instead of the high-end one most town centers do, and would free up so much more space by moving all the parking underground.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Thanks, also, for the links to the photos of the storm's fury. I'm ecstatic to see that the Schmidt House along West Church Street @ North King Street was saved instead of razed. Directly across West Church Street from this home and neighboring homes is the parcel in question that now houses that huge shopping center. Two doors away to the west on this street is a very handsome brick home.

It's such a shame that McKinley Elementary School was destroyed. It looked like a gorgeous building that could today continue to serve as a school or could be used to house apartments or a community center.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Problem is, all real estate development is done these days for the big score and the quick buck. In other words, developers want to build $600K McMansions, not practical, $125,000 houses for the working middle class. I am sure the same attitude applies to retail development.

Xenia is a good area but it has no cachet; the retail buck$ that draw from the WPAFB officer and professional classes are centered in Beavercreek and Sugarcreek Twp. I'd say, yeah, what you're describing would be far nicer than what exists now, but it's probably unjustifiable given the immediate area's demographics.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
You used to be able to walk through downtown Xenia and pick out the tornado's path; it's been a few years since I've been to Xenia.

The city was rebuilt in the 70s, a decade not known for its architectural beauty; also, "traditional" downtowns were not in fashion in the mid-70s.

Regardless, the city rebuilt quickly as part of its recovery. The scars run deep and are still there, both physically and emotionally; I'm not sure a "you should have done it this way" from afar is appropriate.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Regardless, the city rebuilt quickly as part of its recovery. The scars run deep and are still there, both physically and emotionally; I'm not sure a "you should have done it this way" from afar is appropriate.
I apologize for stirring up negative feelings within you, as that was not my intention; however, the tornado was almost 40 years ago. If this strip mall was built in the 1970s as the short-term solution to rebuilding the city, then why not consider what could be a more viable long-term solution now that the era of strip malls in downtowns is going the way of the dinosaur as people seek a return to vibrant walkable downtowns? Xenia doesn't really seem to have any well-defined focal point or central gathering spot anymore for residents, and I'm not so sure a strip mall with a large parking lot fronting Main Street is the best asset for the community to point to as it looks towards its future.

In 1972 the remnants of Tropical Storm Agnes caused the Susquehanna River in my native Wyoming Valley of Northeastern Pennsylvania to flood, displacing thousands and causing millions and millions of dollars in damages. Wilkes-Barre, PA, where I attended college, was devestated. People lost their lives. The flooding unearthed numerous coffins from a cemetery and displaced them (and their remains) in various residential neighborhoods. Fires broke out. Jobs were lost.

In 2010 nobody really gives the anniversary of the flood a second thought, and the city has redeveloped itself nicely since the flood. The city now even embraces the river that once nearly destroyed it, as an impressive new riverfront park has opened. "Agnes" doesn't send shivers up and down anyone's spines. I can understand that the tornado was devestating for Xenia as well, but why does that make any discussion of the ensuing redevelopment from the tornado "off-limits?" If you're still having ill feelings about a roughly 40-year-old weather event, then perhaps it's time to seek some professional counseling (not necessarily you in particular, but those who still think it's that "touchy" of a topic that town development issues can't be discussed). The park I was alluding to could also have a fitting memorial with informational signage about the tornado's destruction. Suggesting that Xenia return at some point to having the traditional downtown it apparently did before the tornado would more than anything help the community to heal and show that they haven't let the storm get them down forever.

P.S. Let's not start with the "from afar..." sorts of commentary, either, as I clearly stated that I'm seriously now considering Dayton for relocation. It reminds me a lot of my hometown of Scranton, PA---down on its luck yet prime for a revival, affordable housing for the middle-class, four distinct seasons, and a convenient location to other areas. I have every right to be naturally curious about Xenia.

Also, I'll wager a bet to say I have acquired more urban planning expertise over the years than many, so I will say that a strip mall should not have been considerd the "permanent" answer for Downtown Xenia. A band-aid to rebuild? Sure. Untouchable for redevelopment 40 years down the line? Why?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Problem is, all real estate development is done these days for the big score and the quick buck. In other words, developers want to build $600K McMansions, not practical, $125,000 houses for the working middle class. I am sure the same attitude applies to retail development.

Xenia is a good area but it has no cachet; the retail buck$ that draw from the WPAFB officer and professional classes are centered in Beavercreek and Sugarcreek Twp. I'd say, yeah, what you're describing would be far nicer than what exists now, but it's probably unjustifiable given the immediate area's demographics.
It all depends upon demographics I suppose. Here in Northern Virginia I'm bemoaning the fact that nearly every new "infill" project being brought to the table that would provide more housing or retail/dining/professional services options are all very upscale. For example, new apartments that have been built near to the East Falls Church Metrorail station (roughly 8 or 9 stops from Downtown DC) are now going for $1,900/month for 1-BR units. As someone who only earns a $50,000 salary and craves urbanity it's increasingly frustrating that all I can afford in the DC area is the "Beavercreek" lifestyle (i.e. cul-de-sacs and strip malls). This is one of the reasons why I've zeroed in on the Dayton area because someone on my salary could probably easily afford a 1-BR apartment in the city proper of Dayton (or perhaps in Xenia for that matter).

I just think a place like Xenia, a community stricken by tragedy in the past, would be better-served by trying to evolve into an even better community than the one it was before 1974. Would that involve redeveloping Xenia Square into a more usable parcel of land? Yes.

Greensburg, Kansas was nearly entirely leveled a couple of years ago by a tornado. Their response? They are building a "green" Greensburg that will be a model for other communities to follow. If Greensburg can do it, then why can't Xenia do it nearly 40 years later?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 AM

If you're coming from NO.VA, this area is far more economically depressed than you may be used to, and there is also little sense of historicity here like you find on the east coast. So there are two things that are usually key drivers of such renewal and restoration that are absent in this region.

Basically, in Ohio, we tear old stuff down instead of power washing and repainting it. This is a deliberate choice, not accidental.

If you looked closely around Dayton's core in the manner that you are doing with Xenia, you would see the results of 45+ years of "ethnic cleansing" of all vestiges of the grand old Dayton of the past, replaced with Soviet style concrete crap and new wave "progressive" stuff. I'd say that a newcomer to Dayton would absolutely have no discernment of the rich past of Dayton and some of the dense neighborhoods and classic architecture that have been lost to freeways, forced improvements, and decay.

In this sense, Xenia is MUCH better off than Dayton. And both are creatures of their area and the local culture.

One last thing, about the economy. Xenia is *poor*. You can find shotgun houses in Xenia listed in the 20s and up. Demographics matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton