Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:20 AM

48 posts, read 208,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboyr View Post
Stay out of Dayton, Fairborn, Xenia! Schools are horrible. Coming from NE Ohio, yes Dayton, Cincinnati are very racist. I would not recommend Trotwood, sorry to those who live there. If you can afford it, go to Beavercreek, Kettering, Centerville.
I second this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 AM

235 posts, read 434,581 times
Please don't listen to some of the people who have posted on here. Believe me, you will more than welcomed here. I grew up in East Dayton, and still live here. Years and years ago, Dayton was segregated, white on the east side, black on the west. We are now very integrated. And it was a change for the better.
Dayton schools has always had a rep for being bad, but they have come a long way for the better.
Looking forward to you moving to our area.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1033 View Post
I second this.
Why do you second this?! What is your story. I am so interested to hear how bad you have had it.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lived here forever View Post
Please don't listen to some of the people who have posted on here. Believe me, you will more than welcomed here. I grew up in East Dayton, and still live here. Years and years ago, Dayton was segregated, white on the east side, black on the west. We are now very integrated. And it was a change for the better.
Dayton schools has always had a rep for being bad, but they have come a long way for the better.
Looking forward to you moving to our area.
Like I said, me and my wife are african american professionals that moved to Dayton from out of state. We have had no problems at all anywhere in the metro area. You can experience any type of a put down no matter where you move to in this vast country. When will people start to realize one type of a problem is not based to one section of the country. My many travels to the south I have seen segregation. Those were some of the most uncomfortable moments I have been in.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:39 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboyr View Post
Stay out of Dayton, Fairborn, Xenia! Schools are horrible. Coming from NE Ohio, yes Dayton, Cincinnati are very racist. I would not recommend Trotwood, sorry to those who live there. If you can afford it, go to Beavercreek, Kettering, Centerville.
A little misleading. There are school buildings in Xenia that out perform buildings in Beavercreek. Of course, overall Beavercreek has better scores, but not every building is better. Then again I would expect Beavercreek to have better scores, look at the median income. In 2000 (latest data I could find) Beavercreek had median income of 69K, and the family median was 76K. In Xenia the median was 36K and family was 43K. Higher median income generally means better schools.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,705 times
Default A question I want to ask

The original poster said:

Quote:
i keep hearing that Ohio is very racist
Is that a common perception of the state? Do others get this opinion in their circles?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 PM

390 posts, read 1,047,678 times
I jus can't believe that people think Ohio is so racist and ignorant. The majority of people that come here from other places have told me this same thing and follow up by saying this common perception is completely untrue. I think we are actually more commonly friendly and welcoming than most other states.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
If you move here with a closed mind with incorrect and preconceived notions you will find your fears realized. If you come with an open mind and open heart you will be just fine.

Exactly. And racism comes from all races.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
People, get out and check out other parts of the country. Ohio is a lot more accepting than a majority of regions.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
People, get out and check out other parts of the country. Ohio is a lot more accepting than a majority of regions.

This is true. I grew up in the Dayton area and moved to Central KY as an adult. I was told in many ways that I would never be accepted in the area, as I was a "yankee". About the only thing I could have done to appease the locals was to marry a local girl. Even then I would still be a stranger. So i married a local girl and we moved back to Dayton. She is much more accepted here than I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton