Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times

Advertisements

Dayton is a great place to live, raise a family, and get an education. The cost of living is very low compared to California and you will get an amazing house for
$350K in one of Dayton's nice suburbs. The weather will be the biggest change for you, but if you're up for less than perfect weather and cold winters you may like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 04:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,744 times
Here are some scenes from around the Oregon district.

Dayton, Ohio's Historic Oregon District - July 13, 2007 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 08-21-2007, 06:08 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,263 times
I've been in Dayton for about 9 years now, and I wouldn't suggest anybody move here. The crime rate is going up, the unemployment rate is going up, the foreclosure rate is going up, etc. I guess if you're into the suburban lifestyle, it would be fine for you.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,709 times
I can't say anything regarding how it might be to move to SW Ohio from California. All I can do is DREAM about moving away from here and going TO California. But......I do have a comment regarding what Aftershock71 said: What planet were you living on? There is NO snowpack until April in SW Ohio. It hardly snows much around here, and when it does, the roads are cleared pretty quickly. Plus, it usually warms up within a week and melts off.

And as for SHORT summers?? It's been downright freaking HOT and MUGGY around here for several months now! My birthday is in the second week of October, and more often than not, it's in the mid-80's then. PLEASE don't feed misinformation about the weather to people. The cold and snow period is MUCH MUCH shorter than the warmer times of the year, believe me! I get depressed because it doesn't snow as much as I'd like it to.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 PM

I agree, Dayton doesn't get enough snow. The seasons are all almost equal in length. Winter and summer being slightly longer than fall and spring.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
One word, Yes!!. It would be crazy to move from any part of California to Dayton. It would be crazy to move to any part of Ohio from California, but I could understand Cleveland or Columbus, even Cincinnati but theres nothing special about Dayton at all. If you want to move to Ohio i would definetly suggest the Cleveland area because its the biggest area, has the most people, and has a lot of things to do.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM

Cleveland is rude, very poorly educated overall, and has a lot more to do to turn itself around. Cleveland exemplifies the word dysfunctional and discombobulated. Dayton is very cozy, warm, friendly, much less extreme, prices are much more affordable, and it has everything Cleveland has except the Lake and HOF's. It has its rust and decay, but its easy to retreat away from. All the trees make even the next street over a new street. You don't have to worry about traffic near as much in Dayton, it doesn't take an hour to get everywhere important in Dayton. You don't have to worry about gangs or people having a complex like Clevelanders do(they think they're the only city in Ohio up there). Dayton or Columbus are the best bets in Ohio. Though Columbus is to expensive for many Ohioans to appreciate it. Dayton is by far and away a lot better than Cleveland. At my job we had to work with them in Columbus at a canning company. They tried to boss our outfit around because we were from the Dayton branch. They got owned and ended up having to work twice as hard as if they wouldn't have tried to been bossy and condescending. Silly Clevelanders. Dayton is Ohio's heart and soul. The reason for moving there is its size and quality of living and getting away from stresses. Cleveland is a lot colder and doesn't offer anything any other big city doesn't. Dayton is a casual city where you can live your life without being pushed around and stressed out all the time.

Last edited by the_pines; 08-22-2007 at 10:26 PM..

Old 08-23-2007, 11:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Im not saying Dayton is a terrible place, but compared to California anywhere in Ohio isnt good. Dayton does have some things to do but not nearly as much as Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati. Cleveland has 3 major sports teams, a lake, lots of museums, a river, skyline, nightclubs, ethnic neighborhoods, great suburbs, a major airport, 10,000 dollar houses and 10 million dollar houses, amusement parks, and every other thing you can think of. and Cleveland on average is only 3 degrees colder then Dayton which is not much of a difference.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:10 AM

298 posts, read 1,149,263 times
I agree with others that Dayton can be a good place to live. I am ready to move, but I will miss some things. I like the bike paths, parks, and festivals. The cost of living is great. I live in downtown Dayton, and love my apartment. I don't think I'd ever be able to find as nice of a place in as nice of a location anywhere else. It gets too cold and gray in the winter for me. I'm more a sunny, warm weather kind of person.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Im not saying Dayton is a terrible place, but compared to California anywhere in Ohio isnt good. Dayton does have some things to do but not nearly as much as Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati. Cleveland has 3 major sports teams, a lake, lots of museums, a river, skyline, nightclubs, ethnic neighborhoods, great suburbs, a major airport, 10,000 dollar houses and 10 million dollar houses, amusement parks, and every other thing you can think of. and Cleveland on average is only 3 degrees colder then Dayton which is not much of a difference.

I know. A lot of Ohio is trashy, sloppy, and run-down. That's just something you would have to get used to seeing. You can retreat away from it I suppose. But compared to California it would be an eye-sore. Doesn't matter which of the five cities you pick in Ohio, compared to a lot of places any of them will seem run down and decayed badly.

Maybe people should try the northeast like Maine, or somewhere else out west like Montana. Ohio hasn't really proven its able to clean up. While there are some great things about living there, it might be to grungy for most people to handle. I was just trying to put some things out there that's around and you could get an idea of what's behind all of the decay and grime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton