U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,497,033 times

Advertisements

I live in Ohio west of Cleveland and i dont think there is anything that bad about the state, but nothing really good either. The low cost of living is a good thing and the fact that you can get 5 times the house in Ohio then you can for the same price in California is a really good thing. Ohio is too average and theres nothing here to attract new people to the state. The only things i can think of that attract people to even visit are cedar point, and ohio state, and a couple other things. Our major cities in Ohio are kind of a joke though, especially Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Youngstown. Everyone in those cities moved out of the city center and left it to rot, and all 3 of those cities are on the top 25 most dangerous cities in the country(#7 Cleveland, #9 Youngstown, #18 Cincinnati).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 10:22 PM

486 posts, read 865,565 times
Thumbs down Don't Do It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray5200 View Post
I might take a job at Wright Patt AFB, would it be crazy/stupid to leave california for OHIO? Thanks for the input! How are the winters in southern ohio compared to michigan? I have family in michigan!
You would be absolutely crazy. There are some pros to living Dayton vs. Cali, i.e. cost of living. BUT quality of life is so much lower in Dayton than California.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:10 AM

1,821 posts, read 3,899,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
You would be absolutely crazy. There are some pros to living Dayton vs. Cali, i.e. cost of living. BUT quality of life is so much lower in Dayton than California.
I'd have to disagree. Maybe if you lived in the city limits, but most of the suburbs and immdiate outlying areas offer a wonderful quality of life. One of Dayton's suburbs ranked 84th (out of 100) in best places to live mainly on quality of life, cheaper housing, and the base jobs. Most people who come from the east coast cities (closest thing I can personally compare to the west) for the base think the QOL here is better.

Also, while I understand that there are areas in California that probably have a better quality of life then Dayton, you cannot compare one city to an entire state, especially California. As a state, I'd say Ohio's average QOL is lower. But on the local level, there are probably middle/upper middle class suburbs here that beat out many CA suburbs on QOL.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:20 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,917,932 times
We don't have the wild fires and major earthquakes CA has, either... CA is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there again!

Old 08-25-2007, 01:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,018,937 times
If the only reason to move to Ohio is to buy a bigger house, then you probably wont like it. Its not going to be like California at all. Its not nearly as hectic and glitzy. Most of what Ohioans appreciate about it is growing up as a child there seems to many people have been a great experiences. Kids will be able to learn about the city, and the suburbs and country. Most will. I guess its a balance and blend of things. For instance me and my brother use to collect maple syrup for an old man that owned the woods near our house. For this we got to take out the four wheeler every winter. I would also go visit friends as I got older who lived in loft apartments down town that played the cello and guitar and things. That's a fairly cheesy analogy I guess, but I cant think of a way to put it. City kids don't build tree houses and make dirt BMX tracks and things like that as often. Ohio seems to blend all of the aspects together. Just moving there for a bigger house is showboating. In that case somewhere much bigger and faster would be idea.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:19 PM

9 posts, read 49,975 times
I guess it all depends on what your looking for. If you like entertainment and things to do I would say NO dont move here. I'm from Cleveland and recently graduated the University of Dayton and couldn't wait to get out of here because of the lack of entertainment and boredom. The University of Dayton however is a really good institution and the Air Force Base is pretty unique. I did some projects for the AirForce base and they are really nice people to work with and easy to get along. I
If you don't need a lot of entertainment or more of a big city feel, a lot of the Dayton suburbs do seem nice including Beaver creek next to UD which is very quiet and police are always around patrolling. Nothing to do in or around Downtown Dayton however and the malls are very spaced out and not very convenient. As for homes it has one of the cheapest housing markets in Ohio so you should be able to get a decent home for cheap.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,033 times
Default Want to move from So. Calif. to Olmstead Falls, Ohio area.

My husband moved from Olmsted Falls, OH in 1975 for sunny So. California. I grew up in NYC, so we are both familiar with "Back East" living. Unfortunately, the California dream isn't anymore unless you're filthy rich, have a very high-paying job and love congestion. Housing is insane ($700,000 for a median priced home, $500,000 for a condo, rent is insane, also). Everyone lives on top of their neighbors in homes with zero-lot lines, there are no seasons and even sunny gets old after awhile, the pace of living is very fast and jobs are cut-throat competitive, lots of jobs in service sector but with low salaries ($10/hr.), gas, groceries, and restaurant/entertainment prices are very high, commuting is bumper-to-bumper and it's just too crowded EVERYWHERE you go. Long lines any time of day or night at ANY store or entertainment venue are the norm. The good parts are mild weather, lots to do, lots of recreation. Our problem is we are in our 50's, lost everything and our house in the 1990's recession, have grown kids, a grandchild, siblings and parents here and are renting. We don't have a house to sell for a hefty down payment even though we are now making good money. We are trying to decide if it is worth it to move back to Ohio (my husband is reminiscing about it) so we can buy a house, have a change of seasons and a slower pace of living but leave our family behind. We want our own home but can only afford the places no one wants to live (desert, 110 degree summers, ugly brown most of the year). We know so many people our age who are either cashing out their homes and retiring out-of-state because they can't live on their retirement income here or doing the same because they can't afford to rent on their retirement income. Is it a mistake to leave everyone behind for a cheaper cost of living? Are people regretting their decision?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,917,932 times
Jacquine, IMHO, you've hit the nail on the head! I've been stationed in and trucked around CA since 1974 and I feel the same way you do. I always thought I wanted to retire in CA, but I'm sure glad we didn't now. I understand that CA is as much a state of mind as it is a state. And I always love visiting there and experiencing that. But, for all the reasons you mention, I could NOT see us moving there. Even if we made FAR more money than we do now (And it's just me, my wife and our kitty cat). Maybe there isn't as much natural beauty and "WOW" entertainment back here, but our quality of life, we believe, is far better here. And we can always drive or fly out there if we want to experience CA again. Best of luck to you and yours!

Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 PM

67 posts, read 312,630 times
This is definitely a back/forth thread with people believing passionately in their own viewpoint. And, that's fair! However, I'd caution against judging all of California vs. all of Ohio and making that judgement based on one town or lifestyle in each state. There's so much variety in both!

I'm originally from Dayton, grew up through high school in Tipp City, lived in Carlsbad, California for work, and recently returned to Tipp. (For comparison, I've also lived in SE Ohio for college and Jacksonville, Florida.)

The Miami Valley (Dayton and its surrounding communities) has changed quite a bit. When I moved to California, I was amazed by the variety of restaurants, shopping areas, and recreational opportunities. When I moved back to Ohio, I was shocked to find that Dayton had "kept up" in that regard. Now, at the Greene (a new shopping area), we have Fleming's and Cheesecake Factory. At another mall area, we have PF Chang's. Bike paths are popping up everywhere, and you can always find a group organizing a half marathon or mini triathlon. There seems to be a push, at least in the suburbs, toward a more trendy way of living. Farm markets are all the rage, and independent coffee houses are becoming popular. Thai 9 in the Oregon District has a real Pacific Coast feeling -- great for sitting out on the patio on summer evenings. So, when I returned to this area from the San Diego area, I felt like the only thing I was missing was the ocean. (Granted, that's a big consideration for some!)

It's also important when looking at housing in the Miami Valley to include the other counties as well. Dayton, Oakwood, Kettering, Centerville, Vandalia, Englewood (Northmont), etc. are all in Montgomery County. However, there are some fantastic places to live in the surrounding counties (Miami, Warren, Greene, Clark, etc.).

I'll throw in my usual plug for Tipp City and Troy. Both are in Miami County, north of Dayton. Because of their location on I-75, you can be downtown in 15-20 minutes. But, they also have a "small, Midwestern town feel." You could easily find a house bordering a corn field. It's a nice mix of country and city life and within easy driving distance of WPAFB.

On peaceful country roads, it takes about 25 minutes to get from Tipp to the Base (take your pick of country roads to get to 235, which becomes Route 4, and exit at Wright Patt -OR- take 571, which becomes I-675, and exit at Wright Patt). You can literally come home a different way each day and enjoy some fantastic scenery along your varied routes.

I've already written a bunch about Tipp and Troy in other threads, so feel free to read more here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ml#post1161052

Having lived on both sides of Dayton, I'll say that Tipp and Troy, in my humble opinion, offer a better quality of life factor. Less traffic, lower taxes, Excellent Rated schools (Tipp City), small town charm, friendly people, and -- best of all -- easy commuting distance to WPAFB, Wright State University, downtown, etc.

Your current lifestyle will 100% determine your happiness. If you surf every day, live on the coast, and can't imagine life without fish tacos, you might not want to move to the Dayton area (ha). On the other hand, if you're stationed in Bakersfield, pack up immediately -- you'll find the Miami Valley a welcome change for the better.

Best of luck finding your new home!

P.S. Another thing to keep in mind is that it's much easier to travel between cities here than in Southern California. Once you've moved, you'll realize that quick trips to Cincinnati, Columbus, and Indianapolis are totally doable and open up more opportunities for sports, entertainment, shopping, dining, etc. NOTHING like I-5 from San Diego to North County! I dare say the trip on I-70 to Columbus is kind of peaceful in comparison .

Old 08-31-2007, 10:29 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,175,866 times
I just moved here to be closer to an elderly Mother in Michigan. Love Michigan and want to retire there. Realize its got a lot of bad road, unemployment, tired towns etc. Dayton reminds me a lot of Michigan in that way actually but without the rivers, lakes, piney woods and all that good stuff.
Unless your really close to your family, really homesick for family, your family in Michigan really needs you - I'd stay put. If any of the former are true then it doesn't really matter where your moving to does it?
I realize a lot of people will jump in about the parks etc. but if your from Michigan its not the same.
Seems to me a lot of people from around here vacation in Michigan. What does that tell you? California has a lot of traffic and high cost of living but you get an awful lot for the tradeoff (great weather, ocean beaches, mountains, desert, wine etc.) Dayton is ok and it has its little festivals and activities but generally its pretty blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or