U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,682 times

Advertisements

I'd need lots of prozac to live there. I lived in Minneapolis..cold can be dealt with if the city is cool, stuff to do. I've also lived in Columbus, Ohio and now live in MI.

We travel often to dayton to visit family, centerville area of dayton. What can I say..its grey, smoke mills all over...sure, you have a walmart..target..and all the other stores...but is that life? There is sooo little to do there. People seem very backward in many areas. Schools in centerville are great..houses are very affordable.

but when looking at the whole US...Why Dayton? Its just sooo boring! Sure Cali has tons of traffic..house prices are insane...but why not pick a cool city..with sunshine..stuff to do!!

Have you Checked out Austin, TX? Nashville, TN...South and North Carolina are amazing!! Great schools and cheap housing to be found.

I'm sorry..but we are looking to move again and I'd rather die than move back to Ohio. I hated it..my family is the only reason we go..and even as much as I love them...I will not move back to Ohio. We are looking warmer, better economy..ect. Even Indianapolis is hands down better than Dayton!! Again, cold is doable..I loved Minneapolis and that was Polar. Dayton is just so blah!

sorry to offend anyone from there. I'm sure many people are happy there...just giving my opinion, feel I've spent quite a bit of time there and can say...we can never find anything to do.

Cincy is so much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 PM

41 posts, read 103,828 times
Beavercreek is nice, safe and close to base. But the city of Dayton is done.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,270,074 times
The Miami Valley is okay, even parts of the actual city of Dayton itself (near UD, for instance). It just takes some getting used to. Oakwood's very nice and has great schools, that would be my top recommendation for Dayton suburbs.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,535,462 times
Default Florida ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I know. A lot of Ohio is trashy, sloppy, and run-down. That's just something you would have to get used to seeing. You can retreat away from it I suppose. But compared to California it would be an eye-sore. Doesn't matter which of the five cities you pick in Ohio, compared to a lot of places any of them will seem run down and decayed badly.

Maybe people should try the northeast like Maine, or somewhere else out west like Montana. Ohio hasn't really proven its able to clean up. While there are some great things about living there, it might be to grungy for most people to handle. I was just trying to put some things out there that's around and you could get an idea of what's behind all of the decay and grime.
I note your location has Tampa Bay. How is it you know so much about Ohio? Florida..hmm, isn't that one of the States the illegals have taken over?

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 05-20-2008 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: to change

Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,270,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I note your location has Tampa Bay. How is it you know so much about Ohio? Florida..hmm, isn't that one of the States the illegals have taken over?
It's funny, isn't it Pat? These out-of-towners think they know so much about a place, enough to trash it. I'm not going to bash Florida, but I would be wary of taking advice from anyone who is currently living out of state and has nothing positive to say about another place. Almost like certain place's chambers of commerce are hiring people to rove these forums and bash certain other places.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:37 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,535,462 times
Default Yeah, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
It's funny, isn't it Pat? These out-of-towners think they know so much about a place, enough to trash it. I'm not going to bash Florida, but I would be wary of taking advice from anyone who is currently living out of state and has nothing positive to say about another place. Almost like certain place's chambers of commerce are hiring people to rove these forums and bash certain other places.
What I don't get is he is bashing Ohio but moving back?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 AM

7,845 posts, read 11,216,758 times
I have family in Michigan as well, southern Michigan is where I spent most of my life. Moved here from Omaha to be closer almost a year ago.
I'm not that thrilled (and seriously thinking about trying to get a job in Europe). I would agree that the eastern suburbs, propped up by the military, are your standard good family oriented suburbs that you can find pretty much anywhere in the country. No surprises. They have a downtown center that holds events, a good minor league baseball team and some things to do, a few small museums etc. Like most any other medium size city. I think its a very average place with a nice complement of the sort of normal things to do, but with nothing particular to recommend it. Pretty much every medium sized city has similar "brags". They do seem to have a large paved bike trail system outside of town, I think you can bike almost all the way the Cleveland.
Think of Michigan cities like Muskegon, Saginaw, Flint, Bay City what have you. Older midwestern cities based originally on a manufacture base that is now older, crumbling a bit, struggling a bit, extremely segregated with "a bad side" maybe not quite as hard hit as Michigan and without the Great Lakes but similar. Confusing as hell to get around in, I don't think one road runs north south or east west. Not as friendly as the true Midwest (Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota) or Texas, but not really rude either.
Its like Michigan without the good stuff (IMO), lots of lakes, less population density. Winters are milder. One thing I really don't like is the whole I-70 and I-75 corridors being sort of important ways to get around - they are really truly busy cross counter interstate highways with tons of trucks and constant construction. Good for business I suppose. Oh and yes, I think there is a bit of a more.....appalachian ingredient in the mix. Houses here don't seem to be kept up as well, especially in the lower price ranges. Just a slightly different cultural priority I guess vs. the Midwestern towns that have that european immigrant history, Dayton doesn't have that (another thing I really miss).
If you like California and what it offers I'd stay, unless family is that much more important to you.

Last edited by Giesela; 05-23-2008 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,957,615 times
Giesela, if you wait a couple more years, the I-70/75 junction, I-70 thru the Dayton area and I-75's Malfunction Junction redo, travel wiill be a lot better around here. I'll have to agree that the Dayton area has some nice attributes but has nothing to really "WOW" newcomers or visitors. Even though I don't think I'll ever be in a canoe again. I'd like to see Dayton (and even Miamisburg) develop their respective water parks. I'm hoping that will lead to more revitalization (ESPECIALLY in Dayton)

But, having said all that, my wife and I really enjoy the Dayton area and feel like it is "home".

Last edited by Crew Chief; 10-08-2008 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: "Speling"...

Old 10-05-2008, 11:41 PM

9 posts, read 57,769 times
But......I do have a comment regarding what Aftershock71 said: What planet were you living on? There is NO snowpack until April in SW Ohio. It hardly snows much around here, and when it does, the roads are cleared pretty quickly. Plus, it usually warms up within a week and melts off.

Um....I was talking about NORTHWESTERN OHIO.....and yes hun, I lived there for three years........THERE IS snowpack Until April.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM

973 posts, read 2,918,064 times
I lived just south of Dayton (Centerville) and worked for the city of Dayton till 2 years ago. I am very well aquainted with the area.

Take everything you read here with a grain of salt. There will aways be pro's and con's to every place, including Dayton.

If you have a job lined up at WPAFB, you're in better shape than some in the area. Some big businesses have closed shop in the last couple years and it has had an impact on the area, such as GM truck and bus plant and Cooper Tire.

What your interests, hobbies and recreational persuits are may have an impact on how well you like the area. Dayton is not a cultural mecca but it isn't Petticoat Junction, either. There are performing arts venues in the city for plays and musicals. There is a nice little dinner theater in Springboro (20-25 minutes away) that has broadway style shows, also.
Let's not forget that even if you can't find a something in Dayton, Columbus and Cinci are not far away.

Watersports like jet-skiing, water skiing, boating, etc....will require a short drive to an area lake, such a Caesers Creek Reserve or St. Marys. (about than an hour each)
Snow sports will require a jaunt over to a ski resort. Again, within an hour's drive.

As for the weather........The summers are generally hot and humid (80's - 90's) and the winters are generally mild compared to many northern states. On average, not a lot of snowfall below interstate 70. I'm not saying there isn't snow but for many years it wasn't much more than a few inches. Dayton did get dumped on pretty good a few times but that isn't the norm.

The cost of living is very reasonable compared to a good portion of the country. Like a previous poster said, $400,000 will buy an awesome house in a terrific area, but you can also get a nice 3 bedroom ranch in a good area for anywhere from $140,000 - $225,000, depending on amenities.

There is a transit system but no light rail. There is bus service right to the base during peak times, as well.

You're on the right track by doing some research but you need to look more closely at the areas that are important to you. If you want an relatively easy commute (compared to CA) you'll be pleased. If you want recreational options, go online and get more information.
Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or