U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 PM

26 posts, read 103,078 times

Advertisements

I might take a job at Wright Patt AFB, would it be crazy/stupid to leave california for OHIO? Thanks for the input! How are the winters in southern ohio compared to michigan? I have family in michigan!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,015 times
Thumbs down You couldn't pay me to move INTO Dayton

I say yes(it would be crazy). Everyone I know in Dayton is trying to leave Dayton. It doesnt have much going on. You have to travel out of town for any real action. I wouldnt even suggest Dayton for retired couples. Its good for college kids, (but barely). Dayton is good for couples with kids that are settled in what they want to do.

The winters are not as bad as Michigains winters, but they are hard. Wrecking your vehicle or having it slide off the road is the norm, not the exception.

I could understand if you were heading to Cleveland or Columbus , maybe even Cincy... but who in there right mind attempts to move into Dayton?! ....lol.

If its for your job, and the money is good, then it very well maybe worth it. The cost of living is going to be tremendously low compared to Cali. But other things you take for granted (quality of life type issues) will not be in abundance in Dayton. For example, the produce here is horrendous-- except the sweet corn, and the Michigain red delicous apples. The air, especially near the sewage plant on I-75 will fry your eyeballs out on a hot August afternoon (regardless if the windows are up or down). But the commute cant be beat. The saying is you can get to anywhere in Dayton from 15-20 min, and its true.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:24 AM

1,821 posts, read 3,893,552 times
Don't listen to all the trolls out there who paint with a broad brush. While they have some points, they only apply to certain areas and are not the norm. There are plenty of people that are happy living here (retire here) that work at or near Wright-Patt. Granted, I wouldn't recommend certain parts of Dayton proper, but many of its suburbs offer a better lifestyle then what some people find in California. It all depends on where in CA you are coming from.

For example, Beavercreek, OH, is a large, growing, suburb with excellent schools and numerous workers from the base. It recently ranked 84th in Money Magazines best places to live (w/ pop. >50,000) due to the work from Wright-Patt, its schools, quality of life, parks, and cost. If you work at Wright-Patt it would be my first recommendation due to it being right next door to the AFRL and other air force facilities. Part of this may be bias (I live here), but I've known plenty of military families and defense workers who have said Beavercreek is one of the better places they've lived. That's coming from people who've lived in NOVA, CA, Florida, and numerous other locales. If you have anymore questions about Beavercreek (neighborhoods, schools, etc...) feel free to ask.

Bellbrook, Kettering/Oakwood, and Centerville all have roughly the same lifestyle as Beavercreek but are a little further south and west of the base's gates and sometimes a little more expensive. Since I don't live in these places, I'll let someone else cover their specifics, but I might be able to help.

Southern Ohio winters are cold but with less snow then Michigan due to the absence of the Great Lakes. Yes, people do spin out, but as someone who knows snow driving, if you drive in a manner fit for conditions (ie NOT doing 65 on the highway in ice), then you'll be ok. I've made it from Dayton to Columbus after a HUGE Christmas snowstorm a few years back and had no problem cause the family took the driving slow.

No, I would not think of you any less for moving from California to Ohio.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 AM

31,223 posts, read 57,377,537 times
I wouldn't think you were crazy, either. Dayton is a good place to live. The cost of living is low. There's plenty to do. The park system is great. You'll be closer to family. There are quite a variety of urban/suburban/smalltown/rural areas nearby, so you can live pretty much whatever lifestyle you choose and still have a reasonable commute to work.

You'll learn to handle the snow (first hint is free, LOL: keep your foot off the brake when going downhill on an icy street!). It doesn't snow much in Dayton, so , maybe you'll even come to enjoy the 6 or 7 days' worth!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,881,051 times
I did move here from California and I was in culture shock for about a year, ...and I've been told people do lapse into clinical depression after moving here.

I don't know your living situation or what you are looking for, so its difficult to say what you like or don't.

If you want family-oriented suburban lifestyle, where your life revolves pretty much around your family, things like youth atheletics, and church and church-related activities, there is no better place than the suburbs of Dayton to move to. This is perhaps the most family freindly metropolitan area in Ohio.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:20 PM

214 posts, read 750,494 times
Key statistic:

$400,000 in California buys a 1-bedroom condo in an older development

$400,000 in Dayton buys a VERY nice 4-bedroom house in any of the nicest areas with the best schools

But, if you can't live without mild winters, mountains, the ocean, or good Mexican food, maybe Dayton isn't for you.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 57,690 times
As a former California transplant/Ohioan, I can honestly say that my first few months.....no make that my first YEAR in Ohio, was severe culture shock. My children and I moved to Ohio from N. California, after I was married to a man from Ohio.

I found the people to be friendly and accomodating to an extent, but if you are not from there, have no roots there, or were not born there.........you will never really feel like you are part of the club.....or the clique is more the word I am searching for here.

As a born and bred Californian, I found the weather very hard to get used to. We arrived in August when it was still very humid (not the dry heat us Californians are used to), this soon morphed into a frigid fall that I was not prepared for at all. Well, eventually winter came..........OH the winters in Ohio. Think of constant snow pack until about April!! I will admit, we were excited at the sight of snow that first winter, but the novelty soon wore off!! I was not prepared nor experienced at driving on icy roads, so I ended up rear ending someone my first winter there.

I eventually got used to Ohio, and so did the kids. We lived in NW Ohio near Lima, which is basically a very conservative, family oriented part of the state. There are some parts of Lima that are very icky, but every state has that. The cost of living in Ohio is very low compared to Cali, I paid $375 for a nice two bedroom apt. in a decent part of town, that was well maintained and kept up nicely by the landlord. This apartment had washer dryer hookups as well, and had I not had my own machines, the apartment came with the washer and dryer!!!!!! You certainly cannot beat that for only $375 a month!!!! My children formed long lasting friendships that they still keep in touch with to this day, and even have dreams of going back to Ohio for college......imagine that, teenage girls that want to leave California for OHIO!!

Well, my marriage ended, and I left Ohio for California. I have been back for a year now, and feel that I made the best choice for me!!

In conclusion.........adjusting from California life to life in Ohio, can take some getting used to.

advantages....

low cost of living
friendly people (this depends on where you are though)
If you have ever yearned to visit the East coast, you are about a day's drive away
family friendly
no California red tape or beaurocricy (spell??)

disadvantages....
long, cold winters
short, humid summers
the economy can rough at times

good luck in whatever move you decide to make.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:01 AM

5 posts, read 16,647 times
rayray: The comments about Ohio from Aftershock71 are excellent, except for one thing...believe it or not, there's a difference between winters in the Lima area and winters in the Dayton area. I lived in the Dayton area for over five years, and know that the winters are relatively mild. Northern Ohio, where Lima is located, has a very different climate than southern Ohio.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,897,875 times
Rayray, don't know that I can add much to the above. Was stationed in CA with the USAF. Loved it out there. Retired in Dayton and love it here. The positive things (lower cost of living, family-oriented things and more) are what keeps me here) I always feel we can go out there to visit, but love living here. Bets of luck to you!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:07 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,016,664 times
Give it a chance. I want to move back and play a part in restoring it. One of my best friends growing up is from Escondido California. Has dreadlocks, started college at seventeen, and bought his home by the age of twenty. My other friend who I consider my best friend(both are still friends to this day) lived in southern California until he was about eight. We used to hang out with all kinds of different people at parties, local band shows and stuff like that. One of them seems to love certain things about California, but despises its gangs, crime and the prices and fast pace of it. His mom ended up moving back to Ohio as well. Don't let anyone tell you differently, Ohio is a Gem waiting to be more polished.

The Oregon District is always changing and staying relatively vibrant if you're younger and looking for something to do. Its not the most morally conscious place though if you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or