U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,222 times
Default Young professional moving to Dayton

Hello,

I'm moving to Dayton for a job at Cargill in May. I'm 24 years old, single with no kids. I'm looking for a nice, new 1 bdrm apt. that is ideally located in a trendy neighborhood with lots of nice restaurants and bars nearby.

I would like to live in the nicest area of dayton (including suburbs), or a young hip area if there is one..

Do you all have any suggestions for something that may match this criteria? And if so, any suggestions for specific apartment developments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 AM

3,870 posts, read 2,608,027 times
My recommendation is .....Cincinnati.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 AM

3,870 posts, read 2,608,027 times
...but, if you don't want to commute that far...the hippest, coolest area of Dayton is a smallish college town called Yellow Springs. Still a drive from Cargill.

The "best areas" are Oakwood (which is sort of a bunch of rich old-fart Republicans who eat at steakhouses and go to the country club...though the suburb is getting this 'Trader Joes' crowd, younger and more liberal, in the eastern part of the suburb), and Beavercreek.

Oakwood is older, pre WWII. If you want something more suburban, with newer apartments, it is Beavercreek. This is a hot area, especially The Greene, which has a lot of bars and restaurants, and apartments on-site. It is apparently popular with affluent young adults. Another hot part of Beavercreek is Pentagon Boulevard/Fairfield Commons...there are apartments along I-675 that are in Beavercreek (south of the freeway) and Fairborn (north) This is also near Wright State University and Wright-Patterson AFB, so younger people are in that area, too.

For more inner-city pseudo-bohemian/"hipster" things there is the Webster Station/Oregon areas, but there are no new apartments there, just renovated loft buildings and older non-loft apartments and duplexes that may be rented. The "live music scene" is more in this area and downtown vs suburbs, though there are some suburban venues that do this.

If you are working at the Cargill plant on the north side of the city, The Greene could be a good location since you could follow Woodman Drive/Harshman Road/Needmore Road around to the plant from yr apartment. These roads are all one road, just go by differnet names in different parts of town, making a loop around the east and north sides of town.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 AM

1,368 posts, read 2,407,226 times
Agreed, for the most part, with the two above posts.

For city/urban living, check out the Oregon district or perhaps Fairgrounds near Brown Street and UD. For inner suburban living, with older homes in a denser and architectually rich environment, try Oakwood. For newer suburban complexes, I'd look near The Greene first and then by Fairfield Mall and Pentagon Blvd.

Dayton is not Cincinnati, but it does have some things to do. You just have to look... and have a car. Check out and google ActiveDayton and Dayton City Paper for stuff going on around town from live music, to places to eat and drink, and other fun activities.

Commuting from Cincinnati, even though it is northbound, would still be a bear and get old pretty quickly, especially from Hyde Park, Mount Lookout, or their downtown.

Last edited by wrightflyer; 04-25-2011 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Additional Commute Info

Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM

201 posts, read 522,765 times
Isn't Cargill on the way out to Yellow Springs? If your tastes run to the west coast and hippy dippy styles, then Yellow Springs fits the criteria of good restaurants (including perhaps the best in the area, Winds Cafe) and bars. I have known people who work in Cincinnati, but live in Yellow Springs.

If Yellow Springs isn't your thing, you could look into Oakwood near the UD campus. Lots of young people, lots of good restaurants (including the best steakhouse in the area, the Pine Club) and good bars.

Or downtown Dayton and the Oregon district.

Don't try to commute from Cincinnati. You'll be miserable unless you love to be in the car.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 AM

The only Cargill plant I know of in the area is the one near I-75 at Needmore.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Cemex plant off Dayton-Yellow Springs?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,381,748 times
The Oregon District is a great area to look into.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 PM

I'm just guessing, but is PhillytoCincy formerly Beavercreek33? Or is that whole location and former area of residence just happenstance?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:37 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,381,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I'm just guessing, but is PhillytoCincy formerly Beavercreek33? Or is that whole location and former area of residence just happenstance?
You'd be right. I had them change my name since I am no longer in Beavercreek.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:40 PM

201 posts, read 522,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
The only Cargill plant I know of in the area is the one near I-75 at Needmore.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Cemex plant off Dayton-Yellow Springs?
Ahhh, yes, I was thinking of Cemex.

If it's Needmore Rd, I would definitely live near UD or downtown, if I were were 24 and in search of young people and bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton