Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,247 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]Hi All -[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I'm a 28 year old single female and my job is sending me to work in our Kettering office. I have appreciated all the information that has been shared on the site, but I am specifically looking for the following (prioritized):[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1. Safe (I understand this is subjective and requires common sense, but if you had a 20 something daughter would you let her live there?)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2. Easy and short commute to work in Kettering[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3. Located near lounges, restaurants, theater etc. however, I am older so I also don't want an area/building so close to the action that it’s noisy all the time[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]4. 1 or 2 bedroom apartments with good bang for your buck at roughly no more than $900 a month[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Based on what I have read on this site, the downtown area (The Landing, The Cannery, St. Clair Lofts etc.) seems like it will fit my list the best; however I would appreciate any other recommendations. [FONT=Verdana]Most importantly, as I continue my apartment hunt, what are the neighborhoods/buildings near Kettering that I should avoid based on my list above. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. It has been extremely helpful given that I have never even visited Ohio before. I look forward to the move.[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM

219 posts, read 893,904 times
Kettering has a lot of marginally dicey areas, in addition to some extremely wealthy and nice areas. I would avoid apartments east of Shroyer, next to Oakwood, and any inexpensive complex off Stroop Rd or Far Hills. Some of the apartment complex have received terrible reviews online, so you might want to check online reviews first.

I think there are nice apartments at the Greene, if that's your thing. You also could look for a one-bedroom apartment in Oakwood, near the downtown area. No complex in Oakwood though. It's very safe and convenient and next to Kettering.

Centerville has a number of somewhat newer apartment complex, and I think there are some in Beavercreek too. Those wouldn't be close to entertainment, though.

You probably could buy a house too in Kettering. There are a few areas with nicer $90,000-100,000 houses. It might run you around $12,000 per year all in with taxes and mortgage. But don't count on much appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton