Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM

16 posts, read 71,066 times

Advertisements

No flame war or rant - just FACTS

> Change in employment 2001-2011: -10.3%
> Population: 841,502
> Unemployment: 9%
> Poverty level: 13.3%
> Median income: $47,145

At the turn of the century, Dayton generated more patents per capita than any other U.S. city. Dayton was a major manufacturing center and was also home to a number of GM plants. Currently, things are not going as well. According to George Zeller, a Cleveland-based economic research analyst, in the Dayton Daily News, "Dayton is in the worst recession that it has ever seen since the Great Depression." As manufacturing continues to decline in the area, health and education services seem to be the only hope for employment.

source: 247wallst.com/2011/06/22/ten-cites-that-will-take-a-decade-to-recover-from-the-recession/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:24 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
As manufacturing continues to decline in the area, health and education services seem to be the only hope for employment.
There's also the defense industry. That is a huge economic factor. Also, if I remember correctly, the recent unemployment numbers where lower in Dayton than the nation as a whole. Granted, I will say that number can be flawed.

Dayton's biggest problem is three-fold. It has horrible schools (why go to Dayton Public when there are better schools in the suburbs), horrible marketing (besides trumpeting the historical areas, I see little being done outside of a few key neighborhoods + when the local news talks about the police cuts in Dayton, that has a huge negative impact on people's perceived safety, which is HUGE), and no initiative to attract new businesses (this has changed a little since the new mayor took office with GE coming to town and NOT locating themselves in the suburbs).

Dayton, while not exactly like Detroit, is similar. Both have great, well-educated, well-off, safe suburbs (as well as some more run-down ones). Both have horrible parts of the city itself. Dayton's possible saving grace is it's proximity to Cincy and it's job market. Detroit is the only major market up there. I wonder if we had a commuter train between Dayton and Cincy, how many people would commute down to (or up from?) Cincy for work? I'm not talking high-speed, 3-C stuff, just a simple commuter network. Heck, Columbus is close enough that a commuter network might work for that city too. But I'd start with the more logical choice of Cincy first.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:25 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
I have to tell you, health and education services are better but not by much. I work in both fields simultaneously, and both are not the safe haven that everyone hopes they are. Not that you said that - I'm just commenting that it's getting rough in my fields, also.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:13 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Dayton has already been trying to recover for decades, so what's new?

Miami Valley and the Univ. of Dayton are the only thing keeping this town afloat.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:27 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,642 times
I guess recession is an unending threat in Dayton.

I was born at MVH and my family had a nice tri-level in Kettering (still a nice house and a nice neighborhood today).

My dad lost his job in a 1964 recession that (he said) hit Dayton especially hard. The house was foreclosed on, my grandparents in Detroit took us in, for a year before we could afford a small house in Detroit proper, and I grew up there.

I'd move to Kettering in a minute if there were any jobs there.

Last edited by 313 TUxedo; 06-30-2011 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: replace missing verb

Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 AM

19 posts, read 61,271 times
hope things change for the good soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton